Lack of family support

Options
thadden674
thadden674 Posts: 22 Member
What's your best strategies for dealing with an unsupportive spouse or kids? Mealtime isn't so pleasant anymore.

Replies

• Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I focus purely on my goals. If people in my household are not supportive to my goals, I find people who are.

With the meal time thing, I find that eating a different meal from the rest of the family can alienate you. What I do now is eat the same as everyone else but in smaller portions and enough to fit in with my calorie intake. People don't always understand calorie logging so I find it easier not to explain.

As it is me who does the shopping I buy snacks that I like and snacks for everyone else once month and when it is done it's done. I have been quite disciplined in the last year and there have been no complaints. We do, however, make space for take aways and eating what we want because we not only love food, we see it as fuel.

I would suggest talking to your family about your goals. All the best with it.
  • Pamcakes37221
    Pamcakes37221 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a husband who thinks it's a term of endearment to call me "Spunky Chunky" or "Dr. Knockers" (because i've put some weight on up top!). I get the no-support thing. So, I turn to "friends" on this site for support--it's really helpful and encouraging. Good luck! (Feel free to friend me!) Pamela
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Well, it's just me and my son. We eat the same meals but he might have potatoes or pasta or rice while I just add veggies. He is very supportive of my running and doesn't mind to eat later. I meal prep on weekends so it saves time.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You will get plenty of support from us here
  • thadden674
    thadden674 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is a great group.
  • JBROC5
    JBROC5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thadden674 wrote: »
    What's your best strategies for dealing with an unsupportive spouse or kids? Mealtime isn't so pleasant anymore.

My hubby started laughing and lightly making fun of me when I sat down to dinner with a scale. He thought I was going too far, but I mentioned that what I was doing was working and I just kept at it. He now agrees it is working