It's Not about the Scale...

Options
Shie1
Shie1 Posts: 154 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
As I continue to expand my mindset for healthy living, I feel like my next step is to not be so intently obsessed with the scale. Yes, I said it...! I am currently weighing twice a day...once in the a.m. and once in the p.m. to get an idea of what the next day's a.m. weight will be. My goal throughout the month of May is to weigh once a week (that is a big jump from twice a day).

Through my internet article reading on this subject, I have found a common thread of information, and that is that people who are successful at taking pounds off often put the scale aside for a while. They don’t obsess about the numbers. For them, a scale is a tool and an objective measure, not a weapon to make you feel bad about yourself. One article I was reading stated, "a scale can’t measure your self-confidence or energy level." So true!

What are some of the positive things that you have experienced during weight loss that cannot be measured by the scale?

Replies

• 61andHealthyMFP
    61andHealthyMFP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello- I'm glad to be on the MFP site! One of the positive things that I have experienced is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I believe weight loss is indeed a journey, and now that I'm on maintenance, I can continue forward with something I didn't have when I started weight loss- accomplishment! It's a positive point of view!
    Thanks for your question, it's an excellent reflection, and I know there are many inspiring answers.
  • pattimelt7
    pattimelt7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think just eating better is a type of reward. Now I'm eating blueberries, I'm eating whole grains and good fats. I feel better about myself for making these changes. My scale didn't move for 5 weeks, and I wanted to give up. But I upped my calories as an NS counselor suggested and I finally lost a pound. Little victories mean a lot. I only weigh a couple times a week, but now I'm only going to weigh once a week because I don't want to be a slave to the scale, and because I don't want it to determine my mood fir the day.
  • chwomack53
    chwomack53 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great Blog!! The scale is just a tool to help us measure our accomplishments. It gives those of us who set our goals by lbs the feed back we need to mark our progress, and that is pretty much it. Positives, tying my shoes without having to stop to catch my breath, bending over and touching the floor, mowing the lawn and not feel tired, and the kind words about my appearance and words of support, from all on this site and people I know and see on a daily basis.

• pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Since I've only been on it a week, I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic or not but I'd swear that I have more of a spring in my step (do all of those veggies really make you more bouncy??) I never really felt like I drug along before, but in comparison to now I think I must have. Not sure that it's the diet yet -- maybe it's just my attitude since I feel like I'm taking control of it. Either way, it feels pretty good. AND I agree with Shie1 and Pattymelt that I should probably wean off of weighing every day --- particularly about that 'determining my mood for the day' piece. That can be powerful.
  • shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Years ago the scale was a torture for me, I weighed in daily, and it would go up and down and that drove me crazy! So over the years with weight gain, I didn't want to weigh myself, and avoided the weigh in at the doctors office. But joining NS I had to face the truth, and write it down, and know that scale had to change, but was not going to control my life, so I weigh in weekly on Thursdays, and I look at it like a nice surprise every week, and taking my measurements weekly on same day really makes it an extra surprise. I think the best thing that has happened to me along this journey I have noticed this amazing energy, and desire to go workout and no excuse why I can't go. Those excuses are gone, and it feels amazing! With losing weight, my knees don't hurt any longer, and I eat alot less food. Yahoo to Me and NS for guiding me along my journey.
  • tobefitJen
    tobefitJen Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There have been a few days where I have not weighed at all but for the most part, I weigh twice a day. The fluctuations don't bother me. To me, it's just data. It's just one part of my equation.

But the positives of the lifestyle change I've made are many! Let's see:
    I'm not embarrassed to be out.
    I don't look like I've been stuffed into my clothes.
    I don't cry when trying to pick out something to wear.
    I know my family is proud of me and like the changes they are seeing.
    I can be in the picture with them now (and I'm not even to my halfway mark yet).
    I have more energy.
    I don't get winded going upstairs or just bending over to tie my shoes.
    I feel more in control and positive.
    My overall health has improved and I expect the lab results to show it at my next appt.

• Shie1
    Options
    Hello- I'm glad to be on the MFP site! One of the positive things that I have experienced is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I believe weight loss is indeed a journey, and now that I'm on maintenance, I can continue forward with something I didn't have when I started weight loss- accomplishment! It's a positive point of view!
    Thanks for your question, it's an excellent reflection, and I know there are many inspiring answers.

Thank you 61. I am so glad to see you here on MFP. I always looked forward to your blogs. Your accomplishment is awesome...meeting your goal is one but maintaining is a second. I admire you. ;)
  • Shie1
    Options
    pattimelt7 wrote: »
    I think just eating better is a type of reward. Now I'm eating blueberries, I'm eating whole grains and good fats. I feel better about myself for making these changes. My scale didn't move for 5 weeks, and I wanted to give up. But I upped my calories as an NS counselor suggested and I finally lost a pound. Little victories mean a lot. I only weigh a couple times a week, but now I'm only going to weigh once a week because I don't want to be a slave to the scale, and because I don't want it to determine my mood fir the day.

Your words are so true Patti. The scale can set your mood for the day. Should an inanimate object have that much power? Lol I like " little victories mean a lot. We are all victorious if for nothing else but making the decision to live healthier. Nice!
  • Shie1
    Options
    chwomack53 wrote: »
    Great Blog!! The scale is just a tool to help us measure our accomplishments. It gives those of us who set our goals by lbs the feed back we need to mark our progress, and that is pretty much it. Positives, tying my shoes without having to stop to catch my breath, bending over and touching the floor, mowing the lawn and not feel tired, and the kind words about my appearance and words of support, from all on this site and people I know and see on a daily basis.

So true Charlie. It's the little things that some take for granted that are awesomely inspiring to others...being able to tie your shoes and having the energy to be active are very big pay offs!
  • Shie1
    Options
    Since I've only been on it a week, I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic or not but I'd swear that I have more of a spring in my step (do all of those veggies really make you more bouncy??) I never really felt like I drug along before, but in comparison to now I think I must have. Not sure that it's the diet yet -- maybe it's just my attitude since I feel like I'm taking control of it. Either way, it feels pretty good. AND I agree with Shie1 and Pattymelt that I should probably wean off of weighing every day --- particularly about that 'determining my mood for the day' piece. That can be powerful.

Patty I love what you said about having a new attitude that has put spring in your step. The scale definitely can't measure that!
  • Shie1
    Options
    Years ago the scale was a torture for me, I weighed in daily, and it would go up and down and that drove me crazy! So over the years with weight gain, I didn't want to weigh myself, and avoided the weigh in at the doctors office. But joining NS I had to face the truth, and write it down, and know that scale had to change, but was not going to control my life, so I weigh in weekly on Thursdays, and I look at it like a nice surprise every week, and taking my measurements weekly on same day really makes it an extra surprise. I think the best thing that has happened to me along this journey I have noticed this amazing energy, and desire to go workout and no excuse why I can't go. Those excuses are gone, and it feels amazing! With losing weight, my knees don't hurt any longer, and I eat alot less food. Yahoo to Me and NS for guiding me along my journey.

Lisa, you have noted many nonscale benefits to our journey. Added energy and fewer aches and pains are biggies.
  • Shie1
    Options
    tobefitJen wrote: »
    There have been a few days where I have not weighed at all but for the most part, I weigh twice a day. The fluctuations don't bother me. To me, it's just data. It's just one part of my equation.

But the positives of the lifestyle change I've made are many! Let's see:
    I'm not embarrassed to be out.
    I don't look like I've been stuffed into my clothes.
    I don't cry when trying to pick out something to wear.
    I know my family is proud of me and like the changes they are seeing.
    I can be in the picture with them now (and I'm not even to my halfway mark yet).
    I have more energy.
    I don't get winded going upstairs or just bending over to tie my shoes.
    I feel more in control and positive.
    My overall health has improved and I expect the lab results to show it at my next appt.

Jen, Each point on your list resonates with me. I'm hoping that I can get to the point where I see the outcome of weighing as data. I'm not sure I have that one in me. Lol Your list contains the reasons for pushing forward regardless of what the scale says at a specific point in time. Ty!
  • SuziBoston
    SuziBoston Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi P!! Many points that some have said would match me! I have to say I have..
    1- More Confidence
    2- I went from a large scrubs to a medium/ top & bottom
    3- I'm not ashamed to be seen in public
    4- My Personality is comming back
    5- And.. When I'm with my Boyfriend I'm not afraid to leave the lights on!! That one was for you P!!! ;)
    6- Finally.. I'm holding my head up high & doing alot of smiling again!!!
    Great Blog P!! This was very exciting to read everyone's success!! I found this to be very enjoyable to write down & it also made me think about how great I really am doing!! :)
  • mikemusky44
    mikemusky44 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Shie1 wrote: »
    As I continue to expand my mindset for healthy living, I feel like my next step is to not be so intently obsessed with the scale.
    Hey P - You're not trying to back out of our little competition are you? ;) Seriously though, you should not be obsessed with the scale. Whenever I think of the most important benefit of NS and working out, it is not the pounds I've lost. It's the fact that my blood pressure has reached normal levels. Will that be replaced when I hit my 50 lb goal? I'll let you know then but for now I'm content. Keep up the good work and the scale will give you the results you ultimately want whether you watch it or not.

• Shie1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Suziboston wrote: »
    1- More Confidence
    5- And.. When I'm with my Boyfriend I'm not afraid to leave the lights on!! That one was for you P!!! ;)
    Great Blog P!! This was very exciting to read everyone's success!! I found this to be very enjoyable to write down & it also made me think about how great I really am doing!! :)

Suzi...you have to know my favorite is #5. The lights should always be on you. You are gorgeous! #6 is definitely me. I love your list. It's fabulous like you. Smooches!
  • Shie1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey P - You're not trying to back out of our little competition are you?
    [/quote]

Oh no...you aren't getting off that easy. It is on Mister! :D I'm working on ways to kick up my weight loss so I can win!! Lol The fact that the change you have made has brought your blood pressure down to normal is awesome! I love your statement that the scale will ultimately reflect our healthy living whether we watch it or not. After all, it's not about the scale it's about a lifestyle change...unless you are competing that is. ;)
  • SuziBoston
    SuziBoston Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Shie1 wrote: »
    Suziboston wrote: »
    1- More Confidence

Suzi...you have to know my favorite is #5. The lights should always be on you. You are gorgeous! #6 is definitely me. I love your list. It's fabulous like you. Smooches!

Aww.. P!! Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the list!! And it feels good to smile again!! ;)<3