Correct- here are measurements of 30 day progress

Options
LoLoGB
LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
Ok so I have moved...up. That's depressing. Here are my numbers on March 31 and today:

Waist: 29 then.... 29.75 now
Belly: 36 then...35.25 now
Hips: 37.5 then...38.5 now
Butt: 39 then...39 now
Arms: 11 then...11.5 now
Thighs: 22 then...20.5 now
Weight: 143.3 then...144.2 now

So outside of very minimal slimming of belly everything else is BIGGER. Including another pound of weight. Clothes are a little tighter too. What on earth am I doing wrong?

And I did increase...I was eating 1250-1300 in March and then bumped to 1400-1450 this past month. Please help. I am feeling frustrated by seeing the numbers go the wrong way :(

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I still feel like your calories could be too low. 1400-1450 is not much. Can you repost all your stats since you started a new thread? That way we have everything here to refigure for you.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    So it looks like in your other thread, Heybales was suggesting you do the 250 test. Why don't you do that for two weeks and then come back with your results? When you're stuck, you have to try different things...and you won't know until you try. I'm betting your TDEE is higher than you think it is and you'll realize that when you increase your cals.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    That's what I thought but when I use the spreadsheet @heybales provided it has my TDEG at 1374 counting my activity and all measurements. I'm eating 100-200 over the recommended TDEG. My TDEE on Scooby and the spreadsheet is 1700.

I am 5'4", 30% BF, 102 pounds LBM and 42 pounds fat for a total of 144 pounds. I want to be at 128-130. I used to be 115-120. Weight isn't AS big a deal if clothes fit. I was a 2 and am now a 8/10. I would like to get to 4/6. Again the past month with increasing nothing was changed except increasing inches and pounds. That's why I wonder if eating too much which seems weird. Should I do the 1374 instead of 1450?

I also thought of dropping weight lifting to 2/3 days a week and doing cardio for 30 min 3/4 times a week to see if that helps. The belly bulge and back rolls are what really distress me
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by TDEG? Do you mean TDEE? There's no way your TDEE is 1374 - you may have used his spreadsheet incorrectly.

What is your activity like? When you start a new thread, we lose all of your past info and it's hard to go back and track it down. What kind of workouts are you doing and for how long?

When I put your info into Scooby using moderate activity and Katch formula w/30% body fat (unless you're really non-active, you probably fall under moderate, not light...but it sounds like you have been using lightly active category, which you're probably not and that may be where the issue is) I get a TDEE of 2108 - with a 10% cut being 1897 cals daily. Your BMR is around 1366 - why would you think decreasing calories below your BMR would be the answer? You don't have much to lose...stick with only a 10% deficit for better results.

You aren't eating too much...I think you're eating too little...and that's probably not what you want to hear because I know you're afraid of adding calories. Eating too little can cause these things to happen - stalling and even the appearance of inches gained (which is probably just water). Again, I can't remember what all you posted before about your dieting history, but I think you ate low calorie for 6+ months? I think you also said you gained weight when eating 1800-2000 cals? Your activity could have been different or maybe you weren't keeping track as well to really know what your intake was or your metabolism is suppressed or all of these things. You very well may need a full reset if your body isn't responding well, but I would try increasing your calories first...slowly. You are not petite, meaning 5'2 or under, so there's no reason to be eating that low of calories. I'm 5'4 and about 10 lbs heavier than you - and I eat 2200 to lose weight with 3 workouts per week at only 30 min each.

So forget the calculators...what you are doing isn't working. You clearly don't want to decrease calories - you're barlely above your BMR as it is. So give increasing a try. Do the 250 test if you want, but don't change up your workouts along with changing your calories or you won't know what's working/not working. You'll figure out where you need to adjust...it just takes some time.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good advice Jen. I mentioned in another thread I thought eating more would be a good idea.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    Thanks Jen I appreciate the input. And yes eating below BMR seems illogical. TDEG is total daily eating goal (basically the TDEE -% cut=TDEG). I used the Scooby calorie calculator (he has many this is the one this site said to use)... So BMR is 1397...TDEE is 1921 and TDEG shows 1537. I realize heybales spreadsheet is 23% reduction.

I do 60-75 minutes weight lifting total for the week - either full body or SL5x5 and only 60 minutes cardio at a 3-4mph pace. Other than that- desk job. No pets and no young kids. So sedentary. So yes I chose the 1-4 hour light exercise bc that's all I do.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    And Scooby has verbiage about the calculators and states "When it comes to reporting exercise in step 5, only hours with intenseexercise that makes you sweat, huff and puff counts. Walking is great, but dont include it in your hours exercise for purposes of calculating caloric needs." So I would be accurate in the 1-3 exercise category. Walking around the house, getting groceries, normal daily life does not count. So only my 2.5 hours of actual gym time counts
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    I totally disagree there saying that daily activity doesn't count!! It most surely does and this is where most people badly underestimate. It does count a lot. I realize what Scooby site says, but many will tell you of course it counts! I actally work out very minimal, but I use the 5-6 hr level - if I eat less than that, I stall out. I workout 1.5 hours a week - the rest is just daily activity. It took me a long time to realize this but I found out by slowly increasing cals and found out I lost weight much easier when eating more. So those are my thoughts and advice...to increase up! You know what you're doing isn't working so at some point you'll probably be willing to try. Keep an open mind! Help your metabolism to heal after that low cal dieting.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    Why does there have to be so much conflicting info and opinions out there confusing everyone lol!! I do agree with you but being scientific based I was holding hard and fast to the darn calculator and his statement. I'm gonna do it- bc I am stalled and I am HUNGRY on 1450 a day. Wake up at 3am sometimes due to hunger (but don't eat til actual morning around 730). So I will try increasing and hope it works!

Now why couldn't I be doing all this moving into any season but summer so if I gain I don't have to worry about a swimsuit! Lol :o
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Girl, if you're hungry, then eat. :) Your body is talking to you. I am betting you will not gain...you'll probably be back here posting that you lost scale weight! Just increase slowly and you'll be fine. Do maybe 1550 this week, 1650 next week, etc. There is a lot of conflicting advice, I understand. The good thing about EM2WL is there are a ton of us who have done it and had great results so hopefully that's encouraging to you. Keep us posted!
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    Thank you so much :) I will keep you posted!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    LoLoGB wrote: »
    That's what I thought but when I use the spreadsheet @heybales provided it has my TDEG at 1374 counting my activity and all measurements. I'm eating 100-200 over the recommended TDEG. My TDEE on Scooby and the spreadsheet is 1700.

I am 5'4", 30% BF, 102 pounds LBM and 42 pounds fat for a total of 144 pounds. I want to be at 128-130. I used to be 115-120. Weight isn't AS big a deal if clothes fit. I was a 2 and am now a 8/10. I would like to get to 4/6. Again the past month with increasing nothing was changed except increasing inches and pounds. That's why I wonder if eating too much which seems weird. Should I do the 1374 instead of 1450?

I also thought of dropping weight lifting to 2/3 days a week and doing cardio for 30 min 3/4 times a week to see if that helps. The belly bulge and back rolls are what really distress me

But you came from a diet background, and should have eaten all the way up to TDEE first. That TDEG is for healthy body only from a non-dieting background. The TDEE estimate was likely fine, if you indeed included everything, including extra daily activity, which I think you said wasn't much.

And yes, his site comments on the TDEE table are confusing. Even more confusing since it's based on 1919 study and includes NO increase to daily activity, its merely about exercise.
    So by his definition, a mail carrier doing 90 min of lifting each week would be Lightly Active.
    Does that even sound correct?
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer different from what you've been given already. Just wanted to encourage you in your goals. I imagine how scary it must be to think of going higher in cals when pants are getting tighter. Up your cals to match activity level, stick with it and see what happens. Push through the panic mode! (I was in that mode recently. Not fun!)