type 1 diabetic starting LCHF

Options
kayygregg
kayygregg Posts: 11 Member
Hey guys! I read everyone's posts on here and it's giving me hope and motivation to start this LCHF meal plan. I'm completely addicted to carbs, and I am a type 1 diabetic, so I need take insulin to compensate for these carbs. Recently, I've been taking so much insulin that it's storing so much fat and making me gain weight. Is anyone else out there that is following this plan a diabetic? If so, how are you doing with adjusting your insulin intake to fit this meal plan? Also, what are some of everyone's favorite recipes they make for this plan, or favorite snacks? Just need some inspiring ideas to get started! :)

-also, I saw some people posting about how you need to eat low carb 6 days a week, and then high carb one day a week, why is this?

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm type 2 and have found LCHF helpful in lowering my blood glucose. I realise that T1 is a different issue. Carbs by their very nature are addictive and you would do well to try and reduce your carbs as an aid to needing higher and higher levels of insulin. Eating high carbs and countering with corresponding higher levels of insulin is a bit like trying to fix a leak without turning off the stopcock. Have a look at the announcement section in this group and follow the link to the Launch Pad where you will find lots of useful references links to recipes etc. I hope you find helpful information here. There are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people in this group.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    kayygregg wrote: »
    -also, I saw some people posting about how you need to eat low carb 6 days a week, and then high carb one day a week, why is this?

You don't need to do this at all. It would be very disruptive to do so for most people. No one is going to be perfect every day, but aiming for consistency long term is absolutely best.

I'm type 2 diabetic and do a ketogenic diet with amazing success and perfect blood sugar control, but I know that's a very different thing. I am not sure if there are many (any?) type 1's over here.

There are a lot over on reddit's keto forum though. One of my favorite posts's ever over there:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2ggjac/hi_rketo_i_thought_youd_like_to_see_this_blood/

In general, here is a search of reddit's keto sub for "type 1":

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=type+1&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

There are other forms of LCHF than keto, but keto is what I do so that's what I know best :)

• kayygregg
    kayygregg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    alright thank you to both of you guys so much! It's nice having helpful people on here to get support from!