400+

Options
I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't struggle with my weight, but within the past two years I have completely lost control. I have stayed in the 200-300 range for several years, but am now over 400. I don't know exactly how much over, because my scale tops out at 400 lbs. I can't believe I had to say that...pitiful. I'm fairly certain I'm at or about 420-430, though. I am determined to lose what I need to lose to be healthy, and have begun a Ketosis program. I am also currently deciding on Bariatric surgery.

I need to lose weight for my health and to take back control over my life. My weight completely dictates how I live right now. I am not comfortable going out, and haven't been out of the house in a few months (seriously). It's not that I'm not able to physically, I just don't want to be seen at my current weight.

I'm tired of living in the "when I lose weight" fantasy world. I need to do this now, for myself and my family.

It's so comforting to see women here that are actually OVER 300lbs, that can relate to the enormity (no pun intended) of what it really means to weigh 300 to 400 lbs.

Replies

• craftscout
    craftscout Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can do this.

You know how I know? Because I am doing this. You're heavier than I was when I started, but not by too much. I started at 395. After almost a year of very hard and consistent work, I am under 280. I have not had surgery. I have had the advice of a nutritionist, the advice of a trainer, lots of gym classes, lots of support from my family, and lots of me deciding that I want to live the life I want instead of the life I have to deal with at the size and ability I was at.

Set multiple goals, on scale and off. Make a plan. Get good sound advice from people trained for it. Then take the advice you pay for. Work your plan in a way that works for YOU, everybody and every body is different.

YOU CAN DO THIS.
  • craftscout
    Options
    I've also worked my way through a Fitbit Zip, Fitbit One, Fitbit Charge HR, and am now passionately in love with my Fitbit Surge - if only it came in a color other than black!!!

Walking is usually the easiest and best way for us really big girls to get on track to a healthier lifestyle, and meeting my Fitbit goal is incredibly motivating for some funny reason. :)
  • kimpossible5X
    kimpossible5X Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Craftscout

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement! I don't speak to anyone about my weight. I tend to get frustrated when slightly overweight people say "I know how you feel," when in reality they have no idea what weighing over 400lbs feels like...what life is like at this weight. Not their fault, but it's difficult to hear all the time. I want to walk, and have a fantastic new treadmill, but I have to get down to 300lbs to use it. LOL I do have a really good cardio/strength training DVD that I really like. I think I'm going to start slowly with that.

I LOVE this site. It makes it a lot easier to keep track of my macros which is imperative working a keto diet. My appointment with my physician and the bariatric program physician isn't until the last week of May, so I'm going to see how successful I am until then.

I've heard good things about the Fitbit and think I'll check them out.

Thanks again for the kind words!
  • craftscout
    Options
    Look, trust me, I know that you're going to cringe at what I'm about to suggest, but follow me. You don't have to walk on a treadmill. I love my treadmill. But that's not the only place I get my steps in.

I started walking circles around my house, 15 minutes after every meal. I walked to the mailbox and back (down the street, not in front of my house). I walked around the block.

I know how hard it is to get out there and exercise in public, with every jiggle and pound on display. Do circles in your house or your backyard until you're ready. If you have a dog, walk it! It looks less like "exercise" if you have a dog, right? Park at the back of every parking lot so you have further to walk to get to the door.

But you have to get out there. Get your vitamin D. Get sweaty because it's hot. Get to know your neighborhood. Get to know the feeling of your feet propelling you to a more active lifestyle. Get your steps in. GET MOVING!

:)
  • craftscout
    Options
    I mean, maybe not right NOW, per se. It's after 9pm, my time.

But you know, during the day. ;)
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from in the want of having more friends "your size" I'm over 400 myself, over 450 actually so if you're looking for more friends you can add me^^ My diary is open and I'm supportive and looking for more friends
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Kimpossible:
    I Dont even know where to say except this is a good place to be for people who get it, he good days the bad days and the endless support. I hope you find that here as well. We are all in this together.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started right here in this group at 419 pounds on June 23, 2013.

I have been maintaining at 155 pounds for six months, after losing over 260 pounds.

The first people who became my friends here on MFP still log in frequently, and I couldn't have had the success I've had without their help and support.

So I do know how it feels to be 400+ and I am living proof you can change without surgery. It just takes determination and the slow accumulation of tiny successes over time. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm nobody special. I'm just a normal guy like anyone else.
  • on2016
    on2016 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was kind of ironic that exercise equipment doesn't really support those of us who need it the most, 8^(.

In my case, walking was the only exercise I could really do at first since I couldn't fit on any exercise equipment (over 350 pounds). I basically stopped taking the bus and walked to and from the train station which basically gave me 2 miles of walking a day, which REALLY helped with burning calories.

I can fit on my exercise equipment now, but I still prefer walking (nice to get that change of scenery).

The other thing that REALLY helped was using this site, I mean SERIOUSLY using this site.
    I started tracking all my food, and we even got a food scale (yes, my wife is losing weight with me, 8^) ).

It was really eye opening to see how much we were 'really' eating on a daily basis. We had to go cold turkey from take out for a while and start cooking at home until we got a handle on what we could and couldn't fit into our daily calories. Once we got control of that, plus adding in realistic food/exercise goals on the site, we were able to see the weight start coming off. Realistic food goals also includes the fact that we are going to eat junk food during the week, just a LOT less than what we were before.

Oh, and set some mini goals for yourself, you HAVE to have those little goals so you know that you are accomplishing something, and reward yourself too when you meet them.

You are definitely in the right place to lose the weight. Make sure you go in and set all your goals, and then start tracking, EVERYTHING.

Keep up with it, I'm sure you'll see some results that you'll be happy with.

• KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was 405 (at least) when I started here last summer. Walking is a great way to get moving, as has been said. If you have access to a pool, walking in waist- or chest-deep water is very nice. It takes away some of the impact, but adds resistance and a bit of fun.

This can be done. There are people who have done it and people who are doing it now. You can be another!
  • Feekish
    Feekish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kim I read your first post and I have to admit I cried. very few people understand what 400+ feels like. until about 3 weeks ago I hadn't really left my house for almost 9 years. there was a few moves in there and my fiance dragged me out maybe once or twice basically kicking and screaming. The feeling of embarrassment turned into panic attacks and I couldn't handle being out in public. About 2 months ago I started having chest pains and I could feel my heart fluttering so i told my partner I needed to lose weight or it was going to kill me. I have been on my diet now about 26 days and I started at 435 now I am at 402. So excited to get under that 400 mark. feel free to add me and maybe we can work together. we are at the same place...over 400 and just starting to fix it.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello to Kim and everyone else. I started with myfitnesspal a few years ago at about 395. I lost over 60 lbs but stalled out and gave up. Now I'm starting again at 406.