When should the scale move?

Options
2»

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My car wreck was 18 years ago so I understand the 24/7 pain. I have to tell you, this woe has changed it. After years of medication that almost killed me, physical therapy, depression...this woe seems to be "fixing" somethings. The pain isn't as bad, I have more energy, and when I get tired or sore the recovery time is drastically reduced! I have always been skeptical about people healing themselves with their woe and never thought it would happen for me. I started this woe to lose weight, but now it has become secondary to the improvements in my health. This is my experience so far, and I won't be changing it back either! Best to you!
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Hard as it might be, stay away from the scale.

I agree! Your diet can make wonderful changes in all other aspects of your life, and your mood will be ruined all day because of Mr. Liar McLiarpants.

I just read an article about a woman who gained 20 lbs over six months of zero-carb eating, and then it all dropped off. She says her body was healing from years of abuse before dropping the excess weight. Hang in there and focus on NSVs
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Aww no magically disappearing love handles?! :-(

That would be cool though.

As for calories - my BMR is 1600, so I need to be eating at least 1600 anyway. I am more focused on keeping my fat up and protein/carbs down.

I know I am obsessing way too early in this game. I just want to see the number go down a little bit... just a little. EVERYDAY.

Eventually it will feel like they are magically disappearing love handles :) I've been low carb since March 18 the beginning was confusing and pretty rough, had days I felt good and days I felt awful. I gradually went lower and lower in carbs and most everyday I feel fantastic.

I had a neck injury about ten years ago that made it near impossible for me to even go for a walk because it would go into spasm, I also have si joint dysfunction, where my si joint in low back locks up and I can't stand up straight or lay down without pain. I went to a wonderful chiro for years which helped but never fixed it.

The past two days I have moved 32, 20 lb bags of mulch, and hiked through the woods and did 87 pushups. This morning I don't even have an ache.

Before low carb I would've had difficulty walking today.

I also had what I thought was the beginning of arthritis with pain in my wrists, elbows, knees and ankles in the beginning of the year, that joint pain is completely gone now.

I have lost twenty lbs, but the pain went away a few weeks in where I had only lost five lbs, so I'm positive it's the change in eating habits.

You can check out my diary for different ideas on what to eat. I've been trying to incorporate new things to keep it interesting for me.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I also have an SI joint injury that led to a herniated disk which later led to pinched nerves in my neck. All these things have felt uncharacteristically improved since I started this WOE in February.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dawn- I didn't used to cook either. I'm single, and ate mostly takeout/ delivery before. After the first week, week and a half, I started craving things I never liked before, like steak and steamed broccoli. I'm still only about a month in, but I'm starting to cook a lot more now. Just give it some time and let your body adjust.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I am still hanging in there. I even brought my own food to Disney yesterday just to ensure I'd stay on track. I just have to find other things I can eat on the go... I'll check diaries :-)
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started Tuesday morning ..I lost 2 lbs...On Friday... Saturday is going to be my cheat day If I need it to be,,LOL...I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I just needed to get away from the sweets..They were controlling me..I did this LC years ago ..I've learned to eat alot of stuff that I never liked
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've lost just over 27kg since the 4th of January and my scales do NOT show a loss every day. I lost 1.5kg last week (Sunday to Sunday) but some days I was up 200g, down 400g, no change, up 100g etc. I was 87.6kg for 3 daya in a row and this morning I was 87.85kg. But that is 100% normal and I know not to worry now.

I've had weeks where I gained 800g overnight but a week later that was all gone and I had a decent loss.

The smallest lost I have had in a week from one Sunday to another (official weigh in day for me) was 800g. Still not bad really!

Even with my weight being the same for 3 days and up on the 4th day, I've lost a cm from my waist in that 4 days :-)
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    I love the comments, but I simply have no idea what your European numbers equate to lol
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    One inch equals 2.5 cm ( centimetres). 800 g = 0.8 kg = 1.76 pounds.
  • minties82
    Options
    What are European numbers? I'm not from Europe and use metric.

My point was just that up and down and staying the same is normal. Doesn't matter what unit of measurement someone uses to explain it surely.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not seeing anything in your diary, sorry.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    OK my meals for this week (and yes, during the week I do eat mostly the same thing) : 2 sausage links and a 2-egg omelet with tomatoes and feta; for work I have egg salad (2 eggs), salad of spinach, 1oz salami, 1oz turkey, some cheese from blocks, ranch dressing, and then my steak and mushrooms; dinner will be chicken and green beans or broccoli. I will also have coffee w/ heavy whipping cream during the day. Still high fat, but more veggies. And no bacon. I know I still have some processed meat and dairy.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    Not seeing anything in your diary, sorry.

You should look back to last week. I was on track but didn't track.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

My point was just that up and down and staying the same is normal. Doesn't matter what unit of measurement someone uses to explain it surely.

Oh yeah, metric system. I don't know what you're all talking about, other than getting the point that you lost weight and stuff.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have not had any net weight change in 3 months but during that time I have lost another inch in my belt and the funny part is people are telling me I am continuing. I have lost 20 pounds since going off carbs cold turkey (<50 gram daily) the first of Oct 2014. Today I comfortably hit the smallest hole in my belt that I bought last Oct that was size 46. The last hole measures 41.5 inches so that is four inches I have lost in 7 months at the waist. Looking at some shirts that I had popped off button I estimate I have lost 8+ inches around my belly.

LCHF was an accident in my case. I was just trying to cut my pain/inflammation level and some medical professional had told me to cut out sugar and I saw some improvement so if cutting carbs a little helped I wondered what cutting carbs a lot could do. :)

Now that summer is here and I am out messing around with the tractor and backhoe I can tell I am much more agile. It was a good 6 months since when I have lost my balance and fell to the ground. I have limited movement above the waist my waist especially but now can better counter balance myself.

LCHF is not a get poor fast scheme in my case but I am getting smaller and physically more healthy than in 25 years. I encourage anyone interested to give LCHF a try if you have health issues yet I understand for some overcoming a strong Carb addiction just is not going to happen. I thought I was going to die for two weeks when I went off carbs cold turkey after failing to 'taper' off after trying for two months.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    It's still frustrating. I am on day 11 and I haven't even lost 2 full pounds yet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's still frustrating. I am on day 11 and I haven't even lost 2 full pounds yet.

I ate low carb (<50 grams daily) for two months before the scales started dropping but I was losing inch wise.

LCHF works but it can be very different person to person. I think I was at risk for a major health issue or death and after I started eating better my body had to address issues more important than removing my fat. A fast weight loss could have killed me with a low functioning liver, etc for example.

Remember weight lose is not just a CICO issue. If organ health is failing weight loss may not be possible I expect. It may take 180 days of LCHF eating before one sees a lot of good things. Weight loss will come when the body organs become more healthy in my view/experience.

Remember we are NOT here to lose weight but to add quality years to our lives.

Weight is managed by our body systems when they are working correctly and we are eating LCHF. Some report they have to stay low carb (<30 grams) and moderate protein (around 70-80 max grams daily) to get into and stay in nutritional ketosis and see the pounds drop off.
  • minties82
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

Oh yeah, metric system. I don't know what you're all talking about, other than getting the point that you lost weight and stuff.

Well I manage to figure out imperial though we don't use it here. Google is handy.