clean eating and distance running

Options
Saree1902
Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
Hi all,
I asked this question a while ago on the long distance runner forum but thought I would also try here...
I've been eating mostly clean (aside from my beloved cheats) for 7 months now and feel much better for kicking the sugar in particular. However, I have a half marathon in September and have always trained with sugary "sports" drinks after 8-9 miles.
I can manage with just water up to 8 miles, but tend to need something else after that. Does anyone have any suggestions that are clean-diet-friendly? So far I'm thinking of trying coconut water and maybe dried fruit....
Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• jacklynlevi
    jacklynlevi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Dried fruits are good. You can also try oats bars. Would ne the best. And for Long Marathon you anyway need sugar so don't worrie about this sugar. ;)
  • Saree1902
    Options
    thanks - it was more the processed, luminous coloured sports drinks and gels that I wanted to avoid! :D
  • heylexi1
    heylexi1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am on the hunt for a sports drink powder without all the fake stuff.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I think coconut water is probably your best choice - it's hydrating and full of potassium and magnesium, carbohydrates and natural sugars.
    Just make sure you buy the unsweetened kind. It's sweet enough without all the added sugar.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I think coconut water is probably your best choice - it's hydrating and full of potassium and magnesium, carbohydrates and natural sugars.
    Just make sure you buy the unsweetened kind. It's sweet enough without all the added sugar.

I agree. Coconut water is probably the best choice.

You can even add some fruit juice if you want extra flavor and a natural sugar boost.
  • believeironwoman
    believeironwoman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I run marathons and honestly don't worry about it on race day and during training. You have to train with what is going to be offered on the course unless you are going to carry your own sports drink.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My stomach is so sensitive to sports drinks and gels I have to carry my own. I put honey in my water for energy and I add electrolyte solution. I use pedialyte that you would give to a sick child. I also carry some form of snack, protein ball, dried fruit and I hate to admit it but swedish berries!
  • Saree1902
    Options
    Some great ideas, thank you everyone. :*
    I agree with amyrllin1 on the sports gels - so many of them make me want to throw up!
    Have a bottle of coconut water in the fridge ready for when I start upping the distances...
  • Nothingbutflowers
    Nothingbutflowers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best one I have tried is called Ultima. It is sweetened with stevia and comes in flavours like orange and raspberry. I ended up feeling better on it than drinking Gatorade (which I loved). I think it was originally made for pregnant ladies, but you can find it online or in running stores. I like it because then you can control your calorie/ carb intake with food more easily. Downside, it tastes like stevia (I like that, ymmv). I hear good things about HEED, but I've never tried it.

In terms of nutrition you can literally eat anything running, you just have to train with it. I've carried dates, homemade oat bars, homemade perogies (do not recommend), yams (don't recommend this either, unless you could make a yam 'gel'. I might try that), as fuel. Training for trail marathons I had to learn to eat real food while running because I bonk really easily.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I know coconut water is very popular these days, but I'd spend the whole race in the port-o-pottie. If you've never tried it before, maybe drink some at home first. Dried fruit is a good choice and easy to carry.

If you want to make your own sports drink to carry with you, here's a recipe from Nancy Clark, MS, RD, that is just about equivalent to regular Gatorade with sodium, potassium, calories and carbs, but doesn't have those scary colors in it.

1/4 cup (30 g) sugar
    1/4 tsp (1 g) salt
    1/4 cup (60 ml) orange juice
    3 1/2 cups (840 ml) cold water
    In a 1 quart (1 liter) bottle, dissolve the sugar in a little hot water. Add the salt and juice. Add the cold water.
    Makes 4 eight ounce servings
    Per serving:
    50 calories
    12 g carbs
    110 mg sodium
    30 mg potassium
  • cvpastore
    cvpastore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've run multiple marathons and never trained with sports drinks but had some juice (particularly liked apple) and sometimes a bar. These days I just drink coconut water but I'm not running long distances. Never tried the dried fruit, but that would work. Don't try something new on race day - people told me that but I didn't listen and learned the hard way. On your race day, do what you did in training. Good luck!