Keto Chicken Broth?

Options
stillonamission
stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
Hey you great Keto cooks! This is going to sound a little silly... but how do you create chicken broth? I googled it, but only could find info on bone broth or chicken broth w/ tons of veggies.

I am participating in the May Meativore challenge, and it has been going pretty good (as we are only on day 4). Earlier this morning, (I did have bacon for breakfast) I was feeling kinda crappy and nauseous. I have been forcing myself to drink more water, and I have been drinking too much coffee, which probably had something to do with how I was feeling.

I went out on a limb and ate a hard boiled egg with a generous amount of salt (to the point of licking the salt off my fingers.), and felt much better afterwards. In light of that I was thinking of fixing chicken broth to boost my sodium, but I am not sure how to go about it?

I bought a large package of chicken thighs (bone-in) yesterday. Do I just throw them in my crockpot with a bunch of water overnight? What about the veggies... I think I might have celery in the fridge, but that is about it. I don't want to compromise my carb level, and how do you track the calorie/nutrition in MFP?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Bone broth is largely just a new name for stock, which is the base for broth in general (generally speaking, "broth" is watered down a little from "stock"). So, to make it, you just toss bones an veggie scraps into a crockpot, cover with water, and let simmer for up to 24-48 hours (chicken usually only requires 24 or so). Then, you filter all the solids out, and you have yourself a great stock.

I make my stock plain, then add salt and spices when I heat it back up to make broth or soup or whatever, but you can add fresh herbs in the last hour or so of making the stock if you want it in the stock itself.

The carbs from the veggies -- if you choose to include them -- are considered negligible if you filter out the solids, so it's not really anything to worry about.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Bone broth is largely just a new name for stock, which is the base for broth in general (generally speaking, "broth" is watered down a little from "stock"). So, to make it, you just toss bones an veggie scraps into a crockpot, cover with water, and let simmer for up to 24-48 hours (chicken usually only requires 24 or so). Then, you filter all the solids out, and you have yourself a great stock.

I make my stock plain, then add salt and spices when I heat it back up to make broth or soup or whatever, but you can add fresh herbs in the last hour or so of making the stock if you want it in the stock itself.

The carbs from the veggies -- if you choose to include them -- are considered negligible if you filter out the solids, so it's not really anything to worry about.

Thank you. I have been wondering about this very topic!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I put a mix of bones & meat (& sometimes onions & celery) in the electric pressure cooker & set it on high for 99 minutes. Much quicker than doing the crockpot method.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I made stock from a chicken carcass after roasting and the leftover roasting juices/fats. I didn't have black pepper so I used red pepper and it came out a bit spicy, heh.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I made stock from a chicken carcass after roasting and the leftover roasting juices/fats. I didn't have black pepper so I used red pepper and it came out a bit spicy, heh.

I have just been throwing out the carcass, but now I know what to do with it. Thanks!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I think I treasure all the leftover bones sometimes more than the actual meat ! LOL. I save every bone for future use, and make broth every weekend. The longer you cook it the better the flavour. Also try saving some in glass jars in the freezer, for times when you don't feel up to making broth. I also reduce some of the liquid out of a portion of the finished bone broth, pour it into tart pans and make my own bouillion cubes. Freeze them and pop them into a plastic bag in the freezer, then you have instant broth whenever you want it, great for cooking and no chemicals or additives....and tasty.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you're making broth and it seems watery/thin tasting no matter what you do to reduce it, try roasting the bones (and vegetables too if you're using them) for 40 minutes or so and then make your broth. I find I don't need to do this with bones from meats that I have braised or roasted, but if I'm just using the collected bones from other preparations, it really needs that heat and dryness in order to build a good depth of flavour.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The last broth I made was with 10 chicken feet and a chicken carcass. All of $1.80 for about 5L of great broth which I used to make Chinese and Thai style soups as well as the broth by itself for a snack.
    Just whack whatever bones, cartilage, connective tissue, heads, feet etc... All the stuff you normally throw away into the crockpot with water to cover and a generous splash of cider vinegar (to dissolve the minerals in the bones) and leave it for 24-30 hours or so. Just check on the water levels every 12 hours.
    In the last hour, put an onion, some garlic and/or other herbs to add some flavour. Remember not to cook the onion longer than an hour to avoid possible caramalisation of the sugars in it.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I started some brewing this morning, so hopefully tomorrow it will be good to go!