Not going well.

Options
amliotta
amliotta Posts: 4 Member
I can't snap myself out of this! I'm so upset with myself over all the weight I have gained this year. The problem is I excercise and diet for a few days. Then get so depressed about letting myself go and eat to feel better! It makes no sense I know, but I do it. Then I'm even more depressed that I gave in. How do you get out of the cycle?!

Replies

• britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Write down your goals (short and long term). On a piece of paperThen put it on the fridge. Make copies and put the list wherever you want too! Remind yourself that it cannot happen in a day, week or month. With constant reminder of your goals , hopefully that will help motivate you!! Visit MFP daily, I find the threads iinformational and motivating. Some just make you laugh out loud!!
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Plan for success. Make sure you have only healthy food in the house and plan your meals. I have been where you are and I still have periods when I feel like the effort is getting me nowhere and I start to slip but I know that cycle leads me nowhere good. It is HARD to stop retreating back to old habits. When I'm at my worst I have to think of myself as an addict. I eliminate sugar from my diet (the first few days suck) and I focus on fresh, whole, healthy food. If you're only able to do a few days at a time, do you think you might be restricting *too* much and that makes you swing back to eating more?
  • iriesmith
    iriesmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Know just how you feel. I buggered up yesterday evening and this morning all because I was anxious about my son and super-tired and stressed about getting work done. Like the suggestions above.
  • tracilhoffman
    tracilhoffman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In 2013, I was 30 pounds over. In 2014, I was pregnant so I obviously wasn't trying. Had the baby in December, now I'm 50 pounds over. I would get so bummed that I would snack on whatever I wanted. Now, I get mad. Mostly at myself, since I have 11 pairs of jeans that don't fit. So I go upstairs, try on my jeans, and get my wake up call. I also have my once per month trigger, so I have to stop and take the time to realize why I'm eating. I also try to keep slightly less than actual portions of some stuff. That way you can have some if you can't fight it. Sometimes I can't fight it either.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It is crucial to learn how to manage stress and emotions without turning to food. Overeating is a quick way to feel numb (I won't say better), but ultimately it does not fix the problem. I relied almost exclusively on overeating and binging for many years, but little by little I have learned other coping mechanisms. Now, my number one stress relief is taking a walk outside. I'll also call friends, make myself a cup of tea and sit and relax with it, take a shower, or write in my journal. These things help me so much more with stress and emotional situations than overeating and - bonus - they don't make me gain weight.