What to do the day after the binge? Restrict? Go on like normal? Reduce a bit?

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
Hi,

I was wondering what your opinion is what to do the day after the binge. What is your experience? Should I fast or restrict? Should I do more sports? Go on like normal? Reduce a bit?
I am trying to count my weekly calories and am close to maintenance, but as several attempts to do counselling did not work I am hoping to be able go balance everything out and maintain by calorie counting. For sure my binges will go on happening, but maybe not that disastreous....

Many thanks for your advice!

Replies

• thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just try again to eat whatever your 'normal'/maintenance diet is supposed to be - what you would have eaten if you hadn't binged. Restricting or overexercising might trigger a binge again, and it doesn't give you a chance to practice having things be steady.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also go back to 'normal' and not restrict further. I treat binges like a one-off and I don't over correct for them. Logging has made my binges smaller and while the feeling is still there (eating quickly, alone and often in secret), I'm not doing as much damage because I'm aware that I have to log it.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with beckajo82. Binging is "extreme" behavior, and so is fasting or overly restricting food. One extreme behavior leads to the next. I find that eating too little is a big trigger for me to overeat or binge. I try to stay as close to the middle as possible, whatever my recent past looked like.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just try to forget it and move on the next day like normal. I try to also exercise and use all the energy that I gave myself during the binge. ( Usually turns out to be a great work out) .
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great replies because this is also my question.
  • mhoover0264
    mhoover0264 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with ahealthiercara. Since using this app, my binges have decreased significantly AND they feel less disastrous when I track what I did - It used to be that I thought I had done way more damage than I actually did. Then it's easier to carry on the next day with the plan (a normal calorie goal) because I don't feel quite so hopeless. The app encourages me to get out and walk or something, which decreases the "damage" even further. It's a huge ah-ha moment for me - I hope it is for you too!
  • mnbee22
    mnbee22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had a binge last night:( From past experience the best thing for me is to track every bit of it as best I can and then just carry on as normal. It makes me accountable for what I consumed and helps me to see any patterns. I agree with everyone else that starving yourself the rest of the day probably won't work and may trigger another binge. I just eat really healthy food the rest of the day and keep logging. The next day is a fresh start:) Best wishes!
  • iriesmith
    iriesmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've restricted in the past but am now trying not to as it's kind of like a reminder that I failed, if that makes sense. I might go without breakfast though if I ate late at night, simply because I'm still stuffed. I have never logged food before and just joined mfp- wondering if I'd ever have the courage to log a binge?! Worried people would judge me really badly and that would trigger more stress and more bingeing!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I try to figure out why I binged. Then I try to not let myself get to that point again. Usually I don't log my binges because I feel so ashamed of myself or I log them over the week until all the calories have been accounted for (if that makes sense)..I've started to log again to try and see if I'm getting enough protein because usually when I eat more protein I feel less inclined to binge on carbs. It's really tough to get out of the restrict/binge thing. One step at a time.
  • hisage35
    hisage35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I call an accountability partner every day and send them the food I ate for the day (and I hate calling people on the phone!). This has helped me get into a healthier routine.
  • TheJenProject
    TheJenProject Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hmm depends on the situation. I have fasted the day after a binge but i grossly went over my calories and the next day i was honestly not the least bit hungry. but sometimes I go over a bit i just restrict in small increments that are barely noticiable. example if u go over by 500 cals just minus 100 cals a day for 5 days, or burn an extra 100 cals a day for 5 days (i.e. go for a short walk) Just make sure u log everything, it really is eye-opening and creates a sense of awareness of the situation. You can choose to go about how you like just make sure you`re doing it for the right reasons(whether your physically hungry or you have stomach cramps) and not to punish yourself and log everything and log how u feel afterwards so you can see if it helped or not.
  • tracilhoffman
    tracilhoffman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to do a little extra exercise, but not to the point of punishing myself. Just enough so that my brain makes the connection that it was ok to binge because now we are back to what we planned.
  • tipper65
    tipper65 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also try to do extra exercise so mentally it helps me let it go. By tracking I usually do less damage . Then I chalk it up to that happens , think long term , and start over. That's what new days are for after all to learn from our mistakes and move on.