Way over weight...starting program...how many calories

Options
Kelly2300
Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
Hey guys, looking for some advice here. I am 3 weeks into the program and loving it. I lift three times a week and swim for about a half hour two times a week. I am trying to figure out where to set my calories at. I am 5'6" tall, weigh 280lbs and am 35. Using the formula in the book, it says I should be eating between 2800-3300 a day depending on workout. That seems absurd to me. I generally try to keep my calories around 1800 with 100 grams of protein. Do you think this would work? I am way too scared to purposely eat 3300 calories a day as I am sure I would gain weight every week. Thoughts??

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I would be scared to eat that high a calorie level. Maybe shoot for about 2000, and I like 100-150g of protein. Keep track of it for a few weeks, see how you feel and see if you're losing. You can always adjust it. :)

Btw, I'm the same height and started losing weight at 275lbs, so it can be done! You're lifting from the beginning, which is fabulous! I really wish I had :( . The scale may not reward you instantly, but you're doing it the right way! take before photos and measurements. You'll be really glad you did!

Welcome! Come post on the daily thread. It's busier :).
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I think as women we've been programmed to be ashamed of how much we can eat and thrive.
    1800 is more than a 1000cal/day deficit for you and is actually below your BMR (basal metabolic weight- the amount of cals you need just to survive). If you are truly eating only 1800, you should be losing more than 2lbs/week. If you're ok with having that big of a deficit, that is fine. As long as it doesn't affect your workouts, your energy levels, etc. Just know that it isn't sustainable long term and you may see more muscle loss than if you're eating at a smaller deficit. I personally like to take it slow mainly because I love to eat:)
    I started at 186lbs and ate 2000+ cals to lose weight. Still eating 1800 cals to lose currently at 142lbs.
    Go to scoobysworkshop.com and try his calculator- it's very similar but gives you a set number to eat each day versus eating 300 cals more on workout days. I found it to be the most accurate one for me.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ditto to Julie & BB. You can eat more :smile:

Um my entire post disappeared??

Anyway lol I'll try again!

I'm 35yo, lift weights and am at maintenance. I eat roughly 1700-1800-ish. But I'm 4'9 and pretty light weight :wink:

So at 1800 you're eating the same as a midget maintains on :smile:

Scooby is good, it's what I used and is really helpful. You don't need to up the calories all at once, just do it gradually. Before you know it, you'll be eating food, getting stronger AND losing weight/inches :smiley:
  • Kelly2300
    Options
    Thanks guys, time to try some experimenting with different numbers.

Julie - when you started , what calorie level were you at?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    If I remember right, the book also recommends eating closer to maintenance and not going for a big deficit. I can't double check as my book is with my coworker right now, but I know that I did the calculations and then didn't follow them. I do try to be better about eating above BMR though at times my MFP numbers before exercise are close or below (it was going to say 1200 but I said screw that and changed my lbs loss per week goal to 1 instead of 1.5 to get more calories cause mmm food). I went through 12 weeks of stronglifts on a deficit so continued that during NROLFW. On stage 3 and so far all is well. But I know the feeling cause even the thought of eating 2000 on purpose intimidates me a little. I eat 1350-1700 right now, depending on the day but I'm 4'11.5" and down to 159 though back at beginning of September I weighed 211.

On the other hand, my coworker is going to start working on her nutrition and pretty soon I'm going to help her with the lifts for NROLFW. I will give her the link to the group too so hopefully she will join. MFP gives her a fair bit over 2000 as a calorie goal but she thought the number was too high. She's taller and weighs more than I did, which affects the number. She said 1700 seemed better but I advised she do even more while she can. Like I'd rather eat 1700 and still lose weight than eat 1200 but I'm also short. So, if you can lose weight on 1900-2100 then I say, why not. Get decent macros, lift and as long as calories in/calories out is on target, all will be good.

And while you get less calories when you weigh less, if you become more active because you weigh less then you get to eat more. So, it works out over time as well.
  • mslisatm
    mslisatm Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats on your journey! I, too, used to be one of those low carb 1200 cals a day people but I'm very active, lifting weights 3x a week, walking 3 miles 3x a week, rowing etc. I quickly found that not only was I not losing weight, but I was also exhausted and in a brain fog all the time. I recently joined Eat To Perform which is all about eating more and eating more carbs in order to fuel your activity, then dropping down carbs and cals on rest days. The number I got from my coach was very frightening...2300 cals on workout days and 1900 on rest days. I'm 45, 5' 5" and 170 lbs. Ive slowly worked my way up to that number, especially with the carbs because they can be rough on my system if I suddenly go from 1-100 in one day. I'm currently at 1600 rest days and 1900 workout days and testing to see how this feels and will go up to the numbers recommended by my coach. So far Ive noticed I have a lot more energy and have been able to lift way more than before! Just don't rely on the scale as much as you have in the past. Photos and tape measure and all of your big clothes will be your friend!

I ran your numbers through the calculator Ive used and it gives your Basal Metabolic rate as 2000 and your TDEE as 3,098. I, however, agree with Dawn. If you can lose weight and still have awesome energy on the lower end of the number range, go for it. I pay more attention to macros than to calories and just make sure cals in is less than cals out
  • Kelly2300
    Options
    thanks for all the solid answers. I appreciate it
  • amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great post- I was wondering the same thing myself. I was a little worried to be upping my calories - I've used the scooby website and my TDEE is right around 1800 calories, so I myself am currently eating 1500ish.

Stats: 5'3" , 25 yrs old, and 174 lbs
    Using the calculations from the book- on a normal day I should be eating 2038 calories - around 1738 if I am subtracting the 300 they recommend. On an active workout day I should be eating 2309 or 2009. I'm just concerned this may be too high? Did most of you follow the recommendation to eat at maintenance and then adjust, or did you cut?

I posted in the Stage one post, but if anyone here has any advice or needs more info from me to give better advice on the calories I would greatly appreciate it.
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HI, I was wondering this too. I am very overweight and eating maintenance calories right now would not result in enough weight loss quickly enough. If you have little weight to lose and can be pretty active, it makes sense to eat maintenance but not someone as big as me. I was thinking trying a little more than an average woman would restrict if she wants to (300 calories is what they gave) so maybe 500 calories a day.