Feels like there's no hope

Options
laceyyyo
laceyyyo Posts: 12 Member
I'm 21 and 5'6" and weigh 155lbs. I've been this heavy for the past year or so; I gained about 15 pounds out of nowhere. I've been trying to eat healthy for the past several months but nothing really works for me. I haven't budged at all. Even for a couple months I was working out every day, running and lifting weights and I feel like I keep gaining. My clothes don't even fit me anymore and I'm starting to just lose it with all of this. I started on here a couple weeks ago and was logging everything that I ate and lost 2lbs and was feeling great then one day I messed up and went out for drinks and nachos and gained it all back. I thought it would go away in a day or two but it's been nearly a week and I'm still at my same starting point. I'm just so stuck on what to do here...

My usual diet is eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast, chicken salad with Italian dressing for lunch, chicken and greenbeans for dinner and fruits and veggies as snack throughout the day. That's pretty healthy I thought. I've been trying to get up and work out in the morning but I've been up late studying for finals or working my catering job until 1am and haven't been working out. Is that the only problem with why I'm not losing? I'd love to lost about 20 lbs total but it feels impossible and like I'm doomed to be this weight forever...

Replies

• GuacMoney
    GuacMoney Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I get it. Been there! Got some stubborn weight right now in fact! How often do you drink alcohol? (Not going to judge, I'm asking because drinking even once a week can totally f#*k up your progress. Gotta cut it out for at least a month.)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    There's always hope! It's going to take some meticulous logging to see a difference, and it's going to be slow, since you don't have a lot to lose. What is your calorie limit? How do you do with weighing and logging your food?

I know the frustration of seemingly no progress, believe me. And I hated the broken record element of reading over & over to "weigh your food, log religiously, be honest with yourself, and be patient." But you know what? That's it. That's what it takes!!

Especially the "be patient" part. And you know - eat food that you love. There's no point in making this a hideous slog devoid of any enjoyment. It doesn't have to be like that - at all. Keep going! You'll see results.
  • lilismom69
    lilismom69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't fret. I know it's hard. I am the queen of not losing regardless of what I do. My doctors can't even figure it out. I'm a medical mystery. I have stubborn fat that just won't burn. I saw a nutritionist and a personal trainer as well as an endocrinologist and my own doctor. They all say, just keep plugging away. It's very discouraging and frustrating to be eating clean, eating enough and in the right proportions, exercising smart, not just hard, and seeing minimal results. I can just imagine how big I would be if I didnt do the stuff I do.
  • rmtoole
    rmtoole Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Part of what's causing your body to hold on to extra weight is stress and lack of sleep. If you are eating healthy and getting a fair amount of activity already focus on getting sleep and stress relieving activities (yoga, walks, a punching bag). When I started my get fit journey, it wasn't until I started from a place of self love and compassion and decreased my stress level, that I started to actually see pounds come off.
  • devereueattcddotie
    devereueattcddotie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the same situation I am in. I was really heavy, lost 8 stone, got stuck at 11.5 stone for aaages. I got a book calle the eat all day diet by Helen foster- fantastic book. It sped up my metabolism, I started working out everyday and lost a further 2.5 stone and was delighted. Chucked out all my old clothes (whoops). Then started my masters...and began eating Brie (why?) and anyway I'm up at 149 pounds. I go to the gym everyday, I use protein, I run 5k in 25mins and bench 60kg- I'm fitter than I ever was but I'm still Flabmaster Flab. I cannot for the life of me see where I'm going wrong. I agree and think the only big difference between now and my best time is my sleep pattern. I sleep too much. I'm gonna go mad and try Shaun Ts T25 and will let you know if it works. As we are both in the same height and life type categories if it works for me it'll work for you. What I DO know, is that I did it before, it can be achieved and I will do it again!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything?

Here are some links with great information by people who know what they're talking about:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

And a couple of threads I like when I need a dose of inspiration:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/971636/my-story-of-sweet-revenge-pics/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1102508/mfp-fitspiration/p1

I know it's frustrating and a lot of trial and error to find your right numbers. Keep going and you'll get there!
  • stelwarr
    stelwarr Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories again? That is critical for me. I always eat more than I mean to when I don't track! ;) I don't get too caught up with measuring and weighing .. i do a fair estimate. For me, it's better to guesstimate than not do it at all!
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    From your sample daily diet, I don't think you are eating enough. I don't believe in "starvation mode" as that's been proven to only happen with next to nothing for AT LEAST a few days... I'm not a doctor/nutritionist/scientist but there is SO MUCH truth to not being able to lose because you are eating too few calories. This is why I have a cheat meal. You should find out your BMR and TDEE and go from there. Do the math yourself. You will be better for it and you will probably get to eat more than you are assuming you should.
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It takes several weeks for your body to adjust to a knew program. Don't give up! If you have an off day, don't freak out and beat yourself up, because then you just get upset and want to eat for comfort. Look at what you've done for the week on average. Are you at a deficit for the week? 5 days out of 7? Great!

Focus on making more filling and satisfying choices, with lots of protein, fiber, and complex carbs instead of simple sugars. Portion control is key too. And, most imprtantly, keep working out, because the endorphins will make you feel so good you'll feel better about yourself and be motivated to keep working out. The more you work out, the more you will want to work out. Same with eating healthy food. It may take a month or so, but you'll feel a difference.
  • Maltesers23
    Maltesers23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get you, this is soooooo frustating!!!! I complete a year today from when I started my fitness journey and I have only lost 6 kgs out of 11...I have altered my lifestyle completely...eating vegetables and fruits has been the norm for me and i also run occasionally yet everything is so slow...I just want to cry and eat normally -_-
    I'm considering to get myself checked by a doctor and I advise you to do the same, because many a times some health condition hampers weight loss.