Days when you don't appreciate your sleeve

murphyraven
murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I know its a common question from new sleevers or those looking into the surgery. Do you regret having your surgery? So far for me I haven't regretted getting my sleeve. That doesn't mean its been all smiles and roses.

Most people I've seen posing about regret has been right after the surgery, when you are in pain, so restricted in options and food portions. I didn't have too hard of a time at first. But my optimism is starting to flag at about 3 months out. It doesn't help that I haven't seen movement in almost two weeks and it's starting to mess with my head. Patience is not my strong suit. I know this isn't an easy or quick fix but there are days when it still feels like its going to be an uphill battle for the rest of my life and I get disheartened.

I am getting hungy again a lot sooner the I expected in my journey. I still have a decent amount of restriction but I am finding it hard to stay at a lower calory range. I am finding it frustrating to keep trying to make good choices day after day. I berate myself when my calories get "too high". For instance today. I had a decent food day in the morning/afternoon, I got my protein in, focused on healthy snacks like veggies with hummus, but hit about 1100 calories by end of the work day, before dinner. Then this evening I caved and had a burger and fries. Granted it was a jr burger and only 1/4 of a small fries, pre sleve it would have been about 2x that or more. The sleeve prevents me from pigging out when I get into these slumps and for that I am grateful.

I am in the calory range my nutritionist wants me to be in. She said no lower then 1000 a day. I am fluxuating between 1200-1500 and still finding myself not satisfied on some days. I am not into heavy workouts yet but I have started some weight lifting and trying to get a least 10000 steps per day.

I guess the point of this post, besides venting a little, is to ask what others have done when going through a slump, feeling less optimistic about the future of weight loss.

Replies

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I understand totally what you are feeling. I'm 5 mos out and there are some days I think back to the initial post-surgery diet of just protein drinks with some longing. It was easy then, when that was all I could eat. Now I have to make the choices myself and sometimes I don't make the best choices. I also know first-hand that the more bad carbs/sugar I have, the hungrier I seem to be. I am supposed to keep my calorie range between 600-800 but that can be really difficult. I went up 2 lbs during vacation and they are not coming off easily. I just tell myself to follow the plan, do what I am supposed to do and trust that at some point I am going to start losing again. Also, my significant other has been a blessing as when I get down or disappointed in myself because I don't think I am where I "should" be with my weight loss, he reminds me of how far I've come and that I should be proud of the effort I have put into being healthier. I don't know if this post will help at all, but just know you aren't alone.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    I too never really had a time with no hunger which was a bummer for me. I have found that I need to focus on my restriction rather than my hunger feelings. That has been a weird learning curve for me because its a whole new way of eating. My doctor said to up my good fats because that helps the protein make you feel fuller longer. She has me eating almonds and avocado--things that I had avoided due to higher calorie counts than I'd think I should have. It does seem to be helping.

When I am in a slump I try and focus on my next goal and try and go after that. I write them down, and put them where I can see them. I try on the dress in the back of my closet that still doesn't fit right. I browse online for bathing suits. Anything to keep me looking toward the future instead of being complacent with what I have already achieved. I am proud of my achievements but I have to keep in mind that if I stop here I'll be disappointed in myself. Its hard though and I am not always able to do a great job. Good luck!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Great advice, jm! Focus forward, don't look back in anger, make the next good choice and trust the program.

Rob
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    There are definitely days that I think "why did I do this?". There is no food that I can't eat but if it is dry, I eat too fast or just randomly my body has a hard time with eating (my chest hurts and sometimes get the "foamies") and it can be a little frustrating. I know that there isn't anything I can do to change it and I try to focus on how this is keeping me in check. I eat 1000-1400 calories on a regular basis. If I lose a little slower that is ok with me because my body and my mind prefer this. What does your diet look like? Upping your protein and like jm said, healthy fats can make you feel full. I also don't have any foods that are off limits although I choose not to eat them. I think that when you know you can have them, then you don't want them and there is no guilt if you do. I feel it is ok to fit a treat into your day if you really want it and it works with your macronutrients. I also find that pre-planning my food helps me to balance my day better. I also try to focus on healthy living and not dieting. This is something that we need to do for the est of our life so enjoy it. Find activities you like and create healthier versions of your favorite foods. You will get there.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    I also have the hunger feeling, and I like JM said, I plan based on my restriction and macro nutrient goals (with modification for heavy activity).

As for regrets, the only one I have is not wrapping my head around this solution years ago. But we all come to our path in our own time.

-Phill
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Some days are better than others. I don't regret getting my sleeve but I do get irritated some days when I want to eat more than I can hold. I am sure some are going to think I am crazy but I still drink two shakes a day and I am 7 months out. I helps make things easy for me and if gives me 60 grams of protein a day. I have never been much for eating breakfast anyway. I use my protein shake in my decaf cup of coffee in the morning as well. I eat a meal for lunch and dinner but I sip on the shakes all throughout the day. I hope you find what works for you! Everyone has a different experience but this group is a great resource to help you through:) Good Luck and keep pushing on, you can do it!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I don't regret my WLS sleeve surgery one bit! The only regret I have is waiting so long to have it. I didn't have any hunger the first year or so, ate cause I was told I had to and get so much protein grams in and cals in each day. I am almost 3 years post op now, surgery was June 2012. You have to be careful in thinking head hunger is real hunger. The cravings due come back so you really have to make the most of that "honeymoon" period of the fist 9 months to a year when you will loose the most weight the easiest. Remember to get 80 grams of protein a day and at least 80 oz of water a day. Don't eat and drink at the same time. Wait 30 minutes after eating to drink anything and don't eat anything till 15 minutes after you have drank as this will keep the food in your system longer and won't wash it away as fast.
    Good luck!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    I work out like crazy, and it seems like when I workout I am not as hungry. I like getting new clothes in smaller sizes, and I really have changed food addiction for exercise.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    edited May 2015
    I think actually me and Janet have a similar philosophy. I CAN eat anything, but I choose to stay away from some things. But knowing I can have 1/2 c of icecream or a chocolate truffle or bacon etc as long as I hit my macros and balanced diet guidelines makes me a lot more sane. Restriction is a trigger for me, tho many feel differently.

I eat 1000-1200ish daily as well and felt real hunger from about a week out. I find lowfat things make me hungry as does processed carbs. Sometimes working out makes me hungrier as well. When I eat a balanced diet-2 fruits, 3veg, 60g protein, 2 dairy servings and a decent amount of fat (about 1/3 of my calories) I am satisfied and generally stay within my calories. I also try to do healthier swaps if they don't make much of a difference to me. If they make a difference I go for the real deal, and cut back elsewhere- a burger for dinner? Then I have grilled fish and veg for lunch for example.

Are there days where I regret this? Yes, even If it's fleeting. I am/was a foodie, so thinking about a coursed, prix fixe menu kind of makes me wanna cry lol. But I think often of the tears I shed in dressing rooms, watching from the sidelines, in the car after a coworker made a snide comment, the tears when I finally told my husband I had enough and wanted this surgery. That's enough to say yeah, this was the right choice, even if it's not always easy. This is a choice for life for me so the weightloss is really a side effect of the real purpose of surgery- to free myself from food and to live my life fully and happily. Being in the present is the only way for me cause I can't change the past, and worrying about the future which I have little control of isn't helpful (to me). I can control the way I eat, and the way I treat myself.

Anyways, ::hugs:: Everyone's experience is different but we all are in this together!
  • murphyraven
    Thanks for the support all. I am feeling a little better after finally breaking my 2 week stall. I do feel real hunger and not head hunger. However, There are times I find myself reaching for food and have to stop and ask, am I hungry or is it something else? I am working on getting in more fluid in between meals and that does seem to be helping.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    focus on why you want to eat when it is not time to eat or why you are craving an inappropriate food. You are likely desiring to return to medicating with food. Find the stressor and deal with it. Feel your feelings instead of running to food pleasure distraction and the feelings will pass. You can have the crappiest day in the world and killing yourself with food will do nothing but make that situation worse. Any time my brain strays to food inappropriately I ask myself "What is wrong?" when I am happy I rarely think of food until mealtime.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Hope things are getting better for you. It is truly a learning experience. I'm just now coming out of a 2 1/2 week stall. It can be so frustrating! I found myself comparing myself to others and wondering why why why.. LOL Big mistake!! I quickly realized that comparisons get you no where! I spent sometime looking at my eating patterns and exercise habits. I found where I did my best and felt my best and regrouped starting there. It not only helped get me back on track but also helped me to see how personal our journeys really are. Aside from the water and protein requirements, there is no one right way. We each have to find what works for us and that my friend is the key. Ups and downs and stalls are all normal. Hang in there!
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    I am two years out from my VSG. About a year out I noticed more hunger and less satiety. Of course at that time, I was starting to be more lax with my food, was eating more carbs, etc... and although I've been maintaining for the last year, I began to notice that I was always feeling hungry and was eating way more calories than I should have been. I have spent quite some time re-evaluating everything I'm doing and have realized that I stopped tracking (big no-no), wasn't getting in NEARLY enough protein, and was eating too many carbs. Lack of protein + too many carbs = hunger & bad cravings.

Since this realization, I have started logging my foods again, getting in 60-80 grams of protein daily (sometimes more), and cutting back on carbs (less than 100 grams daily). My daily calorie range is set for 1,500 - however, most days I fall between 800-1,000 calories. And guess what? I haven't been overly hungry and had too many awful cravings. That's not to say this would be the case for everyone, but it has been the case for me. The weight loss has also started again for me.

My suggestion would be to take a step back and re-evaluate what you're eating, (meaning how much protein, carbs, etc...) If you can, increase your protein. I find that if I get 60 grams of protein in a day, I still feel hungry at times. When I get closer to 80 grams, I'm not as hungry. And although all doctors and nutritionists are different as far as how many calories you should be eating, each persons body is very different. Your nutritionist may want you to be eating over 1,000 calories, but your body may need less in order to continue losing. For example, if I eat 1,500 calories a day, that is "maintenance" for me. Meaning I won't really lose weight, but I won't gain either. If I eat more than 1,500 I notice I gain. And if I stay around 1,000 or less calories, I start losing again. This is something I've played around with the last year.

At three months out, you're still fresh in your journey. Now is the time to figure out what does and doesn't work for you. As time passes, you are able to eat more, so figuring this out early on will only be beneficial. My way of thinking is this; if something isn't working the way I want it to, I need to switch something up and see if that works. I'm always tweaking my plan if need be, and I know it will be something I will have to continue tweaking.

I'm far from being an expert, but after traveling this road for the last two years, I feel like I've learned a lot (and always learning more).

And to answer your question... yes, I absolutely still hit those slumps where I feel less optimistic about my future in regards to weight loss. I still have not made goal, and don't know if I ever will. BUT I do know that I had a major surgery to remove most of a very important organ, therefore this is something I cannot take lightly. I need to stay on top of this for the rest of my life.

Best wishes to you, and feel free to reach out with any questions! :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I am almost 4 years out and not to goal. Am I frustrated that my weight loss has pretty much stopped? Yes. Am I frustrated at how easy it was to pop up 10 pounds through the holidays and how hard it is to get that back off? Yes. Do I sometimes get sick of counting protein and calories and trying to make sure and get all my water in? Especially when the scale isn't moving! Yes. But do I regret this? Not for one single minute! This surgery has helped me get 160+ pounds off (I would love to add "so far" but I may be done whether I want to be or not). Yes I still have arthritis and joint damage and always will, but I am pain free most of the time. It gave me my mobility and my life back. I've been very discouraged lately because of the pop up and prolonged stall. I too feel less than optomistic that I can get any more weight off. Sometimes I just want to throw in the towel. That's when I have to purposely remind myself how far I've come, how much better I feel, how much my health and life have improved, and that's what motivates me to keep going. I may be done, I may not be able to lose anymore, but that's OK. Because fluctuating between 225 and 230 is way better than weighing 386 any day.

Hang in there, don't give up, and keep looking at how far you've come.
  • murphyraven
    Thank you for everyones responses and support. I finally broke my stall and got out of my funk. I am getting in more fluids which I needed to do and planning better for timing my meals. It's still a struggle to fight bordom snacking but I am learning to recognize and combat it.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Thank you for everyones responses and support. I finally broke my stall and got out of my funk. I am getting in more fluids which I needed to do and planning better for timing my meals. It's still a struggle to fight bordom snacking but I am learning to recognize and combat it.

Yeah, that head hunger will get you every time! I have to watch that boredom snacking too, having my head tell me I want to eat again. It's a tough battle and one I know I will have to battle the rest of my life.