vitamins

Options
Kleona29
Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
I keep reading posts about post surgery vitamins. The only thing I was told was to get a good chewable multivitamin. I'm I missing something?

Replies

• mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A chewable multivitamin is all my doctor told me I needed. I added OTC B12 since my presurgery lab work showed my B12 was low. I also added OTC iron, zinc and Biotin to help with hair loss. I see my doctor next week for a 4 month post op appointment. I know all my labs came back normal. I want to ask him about the hair loss and what he recommends.
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the hair loss. I'm worried about that. My hair is already thin and I lose plenty everyday. Maybe I follow what you do. I know it can't hurt. Thanks.
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was told to take b12, calcium and a multivitamin with iron
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Kleona29 wrote: »
    I keep reading posts about post surgery vitamins. The only thing I was told was to get a good chewable multivitamin. I'm I missing something?

not really, my NUT recommended something like Flintstone chewable but I found the Wal-Mart brand Equate children's chewables and they cost a little less than Flintstones chewables. and most importantly, they have iron too
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I was told to take a multivitamin with specific components, calcium citrate (because that much weight loss can cause osteoporosis), and B12. My surgeon provided a detailed list of exactly which multivitamins were acceptable and how much of each component was needed vs. what each vitamin provided.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not sure which procedure you are having done and everyone is a little different...but I had the sleeve done and take a Flinstones Complete multivitamin (twice per day), Calcium Citrate (two - three times per day), D vitamin (two, once per day), and a B Complex (once per day).
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I take 2 multis (Target brand children's chewable), 4000 IU of D3, 4 Citri-cals, 5000 mcg sublingual B12 and 4 ferro-sequels with a 500 mg chewable vit C every day. It's a pain.
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved and I take a multivitamin, calcium, vitamin D3, biotin (for my hair), fiber pills and a stool softener. I was hoping surgery would reduce the amount of meds I take but now I am taking more. Ole and I have acid reflux now so I have to take meds for that as well.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I take four multi's a day (Bariatric Fusion) 1 packet of calcium (UpCal-D), Biotin and one Iron tab a day. I also need two pantaprozole's a day one in the AM and one at night but that will be for the first year only :)
  • catblaq
    catblaq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do you fit all the vitamins into the reduced stomach space? And what about absorption? Is chewable or powdered a better and/or safer option?
    I was thinking about taking multi, vit c, vit b complex, powdered calcium and a vit e. I have also taken cod liver oil regularly but wonder about the stomach space Issue and burping up fishy tasting oil, yuk.
    My op date is set for 10 jun. would love to hear thoughts about nutrition. My 2nd biggest worry is loose skin and hair loss.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my NUT recommends chewable vitamins and calcium. also, don't try them all at once. there is an issue with effectiveness when taking them at the same time. I take mine about 2 hours apart, ie calcium with breakfast and then vitamins at mid morning, then second dose in the afternoon
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I switched over to normal pills as soon as I was allowed/able. I am just over 7 months out and stopped taking the Actigall after my 6 monthiversary. Now I take my thyroid meds and three petite calcium Citrates in the morning, long with a sublingual B12. In the afternoon, I take another three calcium and two multivitamin pills. The calcium also includes D3.

Rob
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I take an adult chewable multi (centrum) and a sublingual b12 because supposedly the sublingual is absorbed better. Plus then you don't have to worry about the stomach issue. I have a bottle of cherry-flavored Kirkland brand that taste just fine. I didn't start taking them until I was on full liquids (so a week out). I never felt like there wasn't room. I take 1 calcuim chew a day and it basically melts into liquid when you chew it. I didn't start that until 3 weeks out. The only pill I have to swallow is the prilosec and it's pretty darn small - started 3 days after surgery and never had an issue. I could probably swallow a big vitamin now but I worry about it not being in my stomach long enough to dissolve and be effective so I'll probably stick with chewables for at least a few years.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was told to take a multi-vitamin specifically geared towards bariatric surgery...so I take OptiSource Post Bariatric Surgery (chewable vitamin & mineral supplement). In addition, on my own, I take Biotin and Vitamin D.
  • dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It was very strongly stressed and double checked by my NUT: 1. chewable multivitamin 2/day, 2. Iron at least 18 mg, 3. B Complex with at least 15 mg Vitamin B12 Thiamin, 4. Calcium Citrate with Vit D 500 mg 3/day, 5. B12 (under your tongue) 500 mcg daily.

Take Calcium and Iron at least 2 hrs apart.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin for sleeve patients (opurity.com), B complex liquid, Calcium x 2, Biotin 10,000 mcg (minimal hair loss and I am now at 8 months out), and Vit D.
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    kglowins wrote: »
    Not sure which procedure you are having done and everyone is a little different...but I had the sleeve done and take a Flinstones Complete multivitamin (twice per day), Calcium Citrate (two - three times per day), D vitamin (two, once per day), and a B Complex (once per day).

I had the sleeve also, and this is pretty much what I take.

I had started with Men's Centrum Chewables (with Iron), but they were upsetting my stomach. My surgeon then recommended that I switch to Flinstones Complete. I also take this twice a day.

I was taking Calcium Citrate from Citrical, but it seems that they have changed their formula. And for some reason in my area I cannot find any Calcium Citrate. All I can find is Tricalcium Phosphate, which is what Citrical changed to in their new formula. I checked with my nutritionist and they said that this was alright. (I also researched it myself, and this link has the best understandable descriptions between their differences that I could find.) I take this twice a day. (This also has Vitamin D.)

Plus I also take a liquid B-Complex once a day.

Now as to when I take them....

Before Breakfast - B-Complex w/Orange Juice
    Breakfast - Citrical w/D
    Lunch - Vitamin
    Dinner - Citrical
    Desert - Vitamin (this is usually a pudding or a light snack)

This gives me the time I need between each dosage.
  • ChaniGetsHealthy
    ChaniGetsHealthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i was told a multivitamin, iron, biotin, b12, calcium citrate, vitamin D3...phew!