running while low carb

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
Today is day 2 of Atkins induction. Yesterday was 20 net carbs. I woke up with quite a headache and pretty tired but Wednesdays are run day with my friends. We usually run 5 or 6 km. I'm wondering if I should just push through it or listen to my body and go take a nap. Ideas?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You need sodium ASAP. Maybe potassium and magnesium too. I can go from no ketones to full-on purple ketostix in one day just by going for a run. When you excrete ketones, you lose sodium. When you lose too much sodium, all sorts of bad feelings happen.

Also, you may be simply bonking. Your glycogen stores were depleted by the run, and you're not used to the low blood sugar yet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Usually while adapting to this new fuel system, you have to take it really easy on cardio for 3-4 weeks until your body gets used to it. If you go, prepare for easy fatigue... And yes, sodium/potassium/magnesium will be easily depleted - more than ever before - until you adapt. Personally, I would bow out or be their water person at stops or something... But sodium and fat will help that headache.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought you had already gone for one run and were thinking of another. Yeah, I'd pass until you feel better.

Adding more fat is sort of an interesting idea, but it wouldn't be my first choice. What that might do is simply increase your blood ketone level, which would make more available to the brain assuming you're hypoglycemic. I'd try eating a pickle first for the sodium, and if that didn't work, try munching on some macadamia nuts for the ketone power.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    There was no replies by the time it was time for me to go so I ended up going. We ran 6.5 km and it went well. I crapped out by kilometer 6 though. Came home and made a big salad filled with hardboiled eggs, turkey, and bacon. Still have a headache though so im going to sip on some broth and eat a pickle :p
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There was no replies by the time it was time for me to go so I ended up going. We ran 6.5 km and it went well. I crapped out by kilometer 6 though. Came home and made a big salad filled with hardboiled eggs, turkey, and bacon. Still have a headache though so im going to sip on some broth and eat a pickle :p

Sounds good!! Biggest thing to remember when living this lifestyle is, "Listen to your body." You're the best judge of all that...you might have to learn to listen again, but you are the best judge. :) Hope your headache goes away!
  • cabb360
    cabb360 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps speed up keto Just an fyi. Your body will be forced to look for another fuel source esp if you are keeping your carbs low. best type of cardio to help out on keto is sprints Hiit. Just remember to use salt on all your foods, use a high quality salt like Himalayan pink salt Great stuff. Get some Mag-Pot Sups to help with electrolytes.