Day one, Carnivore style (mostly)

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought a rotisserie chicken since I found the crockpot roasted chicken recipe. Soooo much more meat on a $10 chicken than the $7 rotisserie, and I can control the spices.

Please share recipe!!!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Http://everydaypaleo.com/spice-rub-crock-pot-chicken/

Hopefully that link is correct. I can't paste in forums using the app.

The first time I made it I let it cook for 6 hours because I was afraid of undercooking it, and it was dry. So definitely no longer than necessary. Now I do four hours and cut into the thigh to check it (it's usually done). The key here is do NOT cook it on high, and not longer than necessary.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    If you are into the crispy skins, I have the BEST thigh recipe.

Bone-in, skin on thighs. Make a slit in the meat to either side of the bone. Salt both sides of meat generously. Lay thighs skin down in a cold non-stick (I use ceramic) pan. Put on a burner over medium-high heat until you get a good sizzle and the fat begins to render. Drop the heat to medium-low and pop a lid over the pan. Cook for 18-20 minutes.

The skin is RIDICULOUS and the meat is tender and juicy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Http://everydaypaleo.com/spice-rub-crock-pot-chicken/

Hopefully that link is correct. I can't paste in forums using the app.

The first time I made it I let it cook for 6 hours because I was afraid of undercooking it, and it was dry. So definitely no longer than necessary. Now I do four hours and cut into the thigh to check it (it's usually done). The key here is do NOT cook it on high, and not longer than necessary.

Thanks! Looks interesting... Might have to buy some poultry seasoning.
    If you are into the crispy skins, I have the BEST thigh recipe.

Bone-in, skin on thighs. Make a slit in the meat to either side of the bone. Salt both sides of meat generously. Lay thighs skin down in a cold non-stick (I use ceramic) pan. Put on a burner over medium-high heat until you get a good sizzle and the fat begins to render. Drop the heat to medium-low and pop a lid over the pan. Cook for 18-20 minutes.

The skin is RIDICULOUS and the meat is tender and juicy.

You think this would work with leg quarters? They're way cheaper than buying thighs alone...

Oh, and the slit, is that through the skin or under it? Assuming you salt under the skin? On top? or both?
  • glossbones
    Options
    You cut the slit through the thickest part of the meat on the non skin side. You could also remove the bones and give them a good whack.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    You cut the slit through the thickest part of the meat on the non skin side. You could also remove the bones and give them a good whack.

Yeah, non-skin side. If you remove the bone, it would alter cooking time. I've considered it, but not tried it yet.

The salt goes on the skin and on the meat on the non skin side

You could try it with leg quarters, I just don't know how the skin on the "up" side of the drumsticks would come out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Whacking meat is SUCH a GREAT stress relief. :D

Yeah, non-skin side. If you remove the bone, it would alter cooking time. I've considered it, but not tried it yet.

The salt goes on the skin and on the meat on the non skin side

You could try it with leg quarters, I just don't know how the skin on the "up" side of the drumsticks would come out.

I can always snip the skin on the backside and make it lay flat. I'm SOO UBER excited about trying this... So far I've just been roasting them, and my fiance doesn't like it unless I pull the skin off after baking the legs and crisp it up extra. LOL This sounds like a fabulous compromise.

And my next investment for myself is a cast iron skillet for all my yummy searing! :) Maybe for my birthday in July. :)

Thanks, y'all!
  • glossbones
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

:D
    And my next investment for myself is a cast iron skillet for all my yummy searing! :) Maybe for my birthday in July. :)

I picked up a 12" Emeril brand cast iron skillet for making the Nomnompaleo cracklin' chicken for $25. Very happy with it so far!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2015
    Options

:D

I picked up a 12" Emeril brand cast iron skillet for making the Nomnompaleo cracklin' chicken for $25. Very happy with it so far!

I have a local farm and home store that has AWESOME prices on cast iron, because they have camping stuff. I want ALL OF IT! They have grill pans and huge dutch ovens and all kinds of awesomeness. Seriously debating replacing all my cookware with cast iron! I know it won't work exactly that way, but it is appealing.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I made pizza last night... Chicken breast crust and added butter, cheese and pepperoni for the topping. It was awesome! I am having leftovers for lunch!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I made pizza last night... Chicken breast crust and added butter, cheese and pepperoni for the topping. It was awesome! I am having leftovers for lunch!

Saw that recipe and looking forward to trying it. Glad it worked well fro you!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I love cast iron :)
  • PasPlus
    PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I only use cast iron - better than the gym :D

The chicken mince crust is an awesome pastry replacement in general - makes a great quiche.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    We had rotisserie chicken last night. I love that you all manage to feed a whole family on one chicken. Know what I did? I stood over that thing and ate it with my bare hands while my fiancé prepped meat for tonight. Honestly, it makes me feel like I'm on The Walking Dead when I don't get home until 8 from work and I stand above that dead chicken body, picking meat off the bones. Lol. But yeah. I finished my half and then he ate his half. It looked like the dogs got into it. This is what happens when you have an 1.5 hour commute and then grocery shop before dinner. Would you judge me more or less knowing I dipped some pieces in mayo?

Ha! The bf was just telling me he thinks we should just get rid of our utensils and eat with our hands from now on. Makes him feel primal. Why not. He got rid of the furniture, we're switching all our footwear to barefoot shoes.... nobody visits us anyway. But just in case, I told him just to pretend we dont' have it. I think he'll see my reasoning the first time he tries to get "all the mayo" out of the jar with just his fingers. Besides, trying to grab fried chicken or bacon out of the pan does not sound happy to me. :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who ripped apart the chicken with my bare hands. It doesn't even make it to the table !