New to this group, just want clarification/support to make sure I've got it right.

Options
puraze
puraze Posts: 55 Member
I reconnected with MFP about 3 weeks ago and started up the old fashion way and half -*kitten* committed while instead focusing more on reading through the forums. Learned so much new, especially the concept of EM2WL. I know this is the best approach for me as I want a lifelong change that is practical.
My stats (as plugged into Scooby's)
5'2"
150lbs (GW 130lbs)
BMR-1431
TDEE-2218
TDEE-20%-1774

I do strenght(currently Chalean Extreme) 3-4x/week.
Cardio (running or follow a video) 2x/week
Have kids and busy life outside of work so set my activity to moderate. I'm willing to increase once I know I am sticking to my workouts.
I guess all I am looking for at this point is confirmation my info all sounds ok as a starting point and any extra tips for getting going.

Thanks for any help provided:)

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Seems right to me, but you may want to change it to 15% instead of 20%
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lower deficit to begin with. Or even a metabolic reset depending on how you've been eating in the past. Meaning if you've been eating at "extreme" deficits in the past.
  • puraze
    Options
    What's the overall advantage of 15% rather than 20%? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I've seen both suggested and am a bit unclear?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Why go lower ( a higher deficit) if you don't need to. The goal is to lose fat while eating as much as you can. Start with a more modest reduction and tweak from there. Good luck! Be sure to check out the EM2WL website for lots more info.
  • puraze
    Options
    Thanks. Make sense. I've been spending so much time reading and trying to get as much knowledge as I can. It's definately a mindset change and hard not to be a bit freaked out to willingly increase my calories; but I believe it's worth it and will likely be a lifelong process for me. I haven't been eating at a low calorie deficit like some. I've just walked in sort of "fresh". I will consider doing 15%. I am pretty patient and am in no hurry to see results. Will weigh/measure every week or two to gauge progress.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3.5 x weekly strength - how much time though total?
    Tad difference between 1.75 hrs and 3.5 hrs.

2 x week cardio - again, time - 30 min or 2 hrs?
    That's a huge potential difference and not unheard of.

So your daily life is Lightly Active all by itself with family. Exercise level with just those hours is going to be added on top of it.

Might try this too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

Only 20 lbs to lose.
    Did you gain it fast?
    Unlikely - be willing to lose it slow so it's just fat. Hence the 15%.
    Actually, get to 10 lbs left, you'll want 10% probably.
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are definitely the next activity level up (maybe even higher depending on length/intensity of your workouts), not moderate. And then doing a 20% deficit rather than a 15% or 10% deficit on top of that means you are still eating at way too large of a calorie deficit...this sets you up for a big plateau/stall of progress. Mentioned above by Heybales ^^^ when using Scooby to calculate your TDEE, you also have to include your daily life (NEAT) and you say you are active outside of formal workouts for that alone puts you at lightly active before you even add your workouts. It's important to choose the right activity level so that you're not still under eating. For most, they automatically will underestimate their activity level bc they want to make sure they will keep losing weight - but in most cases, it actually will hinder the weight loss. Eating more (the proper calories/deficit for your activity level) actually makes it easier to lose fat.
  • puraze
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look at spreadsheet this weekend when I get some computer time:) in the meantime I have upped my calories based on 15%. It's amazing the difference I feel already now that I am consciously eating more, rather than mindlessly overeating or mindfully under eating!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better. Keep us posted.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you are happy with the change.

Following your journey as I am short and at goal will be around the same weight. I'm not as active as you, no family to race around. :)
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Following because our stats are pretty close!
  • puraze
    Options
    I plan on doing a check-In a week from today. Fingers and toes crossed!!
  • puraze
    Options
    Tomorrow I will do a weigh; I am also picking up a new measuring tape since I can't seem to find mine! I don't know how I'll fair, but I have to say I feel so good eating at a higher calorie goal, stronger, super energized, and hopeful for long-term success! My only struggle right now as a non-meateater is hitting my protein target. I am going to go buy some protein powder to help with this as I just can't bring myself to eat protein bars (just a personal choice). I know things are going well because #1 I can see it when I look in the mirror, and #2 my summer clothes, which were "fat" clothes last year, are fitting better!!
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have advised people in the past that if you want to go TDEE-20%, please eat something if you find yourself truly hungry (i.e., not just bored or dehydrated). True hunger is your body's cue it needs something to keep the stove burning. Another way to think of it is on days you do nothing go BMR * 1.2, on moderate activity days go BMR * 1.4 and on high movement days use 1.6*BMR. But it looks like you are on track.
  • puraze
    Options
    I have been at TDEE-15% as suggested by others. Am glad I listened. I've been off work this week and more active than normal. Will adjust accordingly once I get back to my normal routine:)
  • puraze
    Options
    Did my weigh in this morning and have lost:) I know this past week has been unusually active for me, I probably should have adjusted my activity level to reflect this, but honestly I've felt great and eating at a higher goal was such a treat to start with. I am so glad I have taken on this concept of eating more and losing slower. I feel so confident that this method will see me through the rest of my weight loss and into maintenance.
  • jeepsportgirl
    jeepsportgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    heybales - how do I use that spreadsheet you linked to? It says view only and won't let me change the stats in yellow boxes.

I've been eating about 1200 calories and am not losing. Clearly, I think this approach would work well for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales - how do I use that spreadsheet you linked to? It says view only and won't let me change the stats in yellow boxes.

I've been eating about 1200 calories and am not losing. Clearly, I think this approach would work well for me.

Ah - you must make a copy of it to your own Google account, or download as Excel if you have Excel.
  • jeepsportgirl
    jeepsportgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THANKS!! Wow....according to that, I'm eating WAY below what I should be.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    THANKS!! Wow....according to that, I'm eating WAY below what I should be.
    That's the case for a lot of people when they first joined the group. I was wayyyy undereating too! I'm glad you found EM2WL.