Mothers Day dinner HELP!

Options
mongoosealamode
mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
My daughter and I are going out with my parents, sister and her husband and kids on Sunday. Generally my mother chooses where we go and this time everyone is in agreement, but I don't think there is anything I can safely eat. Its is a Chinese place called Cafe Zen and everything had some kind of sauce.
http://www.cafezen.us/menu.html

I usually got a soup, sushi, Pad Thai, and a little of what other people got. Everyone gets a dish and we all share.
But now I don't know what to do. I don't want to be the one that's like 'Sorry everyone you cant go where you want'

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    So, don't be that person. :-) It's about getting together to celebrate your mom, not the food. Steer clear of the obvious offenders (rice, noodles, obviously sweet sauces, breaded stuff) and don't sweat the few carbs that might infiltrate what you do order. I see some seafood dishes that would be okay...if the sauces scare you, scrape 'em off. Pick out the innards of the egg or spring rolls or dumplings. Hot and Sour isn't usually too offensive. Chicken and broccoli...beef and broccoli. Might be a "higher carb" day, but it doesn't have to be high carb in any fashion unless you choose for it to be. Which is okay, too...you know how your body works with that scenario, so listen and trust it.

You can do this. Just remember where the focus of the day is, and that's being together...not what you're eating. :-) I can guarantee you this will NOT be the last time you're faced with this dilemma...so make peace with it, make a plan (no guilt), and carry on!!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Asian food is a weakness of mine, but if I'm good, I'll limit myself to something like Kung Pao Chicken or some cashew and meat dish. The sauce is probably high-carb, but ignorance is bliss.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ditto Tru2one Discipline , control and in the end, it is about the day not the meal.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    So, don't be that person. :-) It's about getting together to celebrate your mom, not the food. Steer clear of the obvious offenders (rice, noodles, obviously sweet sauces, breaded stuff) and don't sweat the few carbs that might infiltrate what you do order. I see some seafood dishes that would be okay...if the sauces scare you, scrape 'em off. Pick out the innards of the egg or spring rolls or dumplings. Hot and Sour isn't usually too offensive. Chicken and broccoli...beef and broccoli. Might be a "higher carb" day, but it doesn't have to be high carb in any fashion unless you choose for it to be. Which is okay, too...you know how your body works with that scenario, so listen and trust it.

You can do this. Just remember where the focus of the day is, and that's being together...not what you're eating. :-) I can guarantee you this will NOT be the last time you're faced with this dilemma...so make peace with it, make a plan (no guilt), and carry on!!

I second this. It is just one meal. Do your best but don't sweat it if you ingest more than you had planned. Enjoy your time together.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

What she said. :)

Actually, the menu here looks good. Ask for your favorite sashimi. If they serve sushi, they can serve you sashimi. Miso soup is low carb. The steamed fish dish sounds good, and its sauce is likely to be very low carb. Also, edamame. I might go straight for the crispy duck. If you fancy a particular dish, ask your server if it is breaded or velveted.