Feeling down and disgusted, what used to be enjoyable now feels like a diet

Options
2»

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh, and what is your activity level?

Correct me if I'm wrong on these stats:

48 year old male
    5'6" tall
    Approx. 200 lbs????

1500 seems low for an active man. If you are sedentary, that's okay, you just won't be able to eat as much as someone who is regularly exercising, but then you probably won't deal with the hunger from exercising. If you are completely sedentary, then 1500 is going to be about a 1 lb per week loss, assuming you weigh around 200 lbs. I don't think I can remember you ever saying on any posts.

Going with 1750 seems more reasonable if you are a bit more active. Possibly a .6 lb weight loss per week, if you stick to it for several weeks.

I weigh 242 lbs and do allot of walking either on my job or as exercise.

At 2000 cals per day, and especially 1750, you should be losing weight if you stick to it for at least a month. If you don't lose on either of these amounts after a month of consistency, see your endocrinologist.
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jerry- are you measuring yourself? Ketosis generally is muscle sparing, so if you really are exercising steady, you may be gaining some muscle while you consume fat stores. Rather than weight loss, you may notice neck/ face/ thigh/ arm circumference followed by waist line shrinking. I would also love to know your insulin resistance parameters, as well as your lipid panel effects. Sometime the scale doesn't tell the whole story...

Best of luck to you, and keep it up.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'll never go back to SAD way of eating, as I know this is much better for me, I'm not taking metformin anymore, as my BS level is normal now, so that alone will keep me from going back!

That in itself is an excellent reason to keep going! Congratulations!
    I cannot wait for the day I am off metformin and BP meds.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    O.P., I get your frustration as I made change after change at first too. It wasn't till I stopped weighing myself and only relied on measurements that my mind was free from obsessing. And now the inches are coming down.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Teraliel wrote: »
    O.P., I get your frustration as I made change after change at first too. It wasn't till I stopped weighing myself and only relied on measurements that my mind was free from obsessing. And now the inches are coming down.

Thank you for this!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What @KnitOrMiss said: stop hopping programs.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Also my understanding was that >0.5mmol was in ketosis? My highest blood ketone reading has been 1.2 and would often be 0.8 after eating. Big hugs!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Also my understanding was that >0.5mmol was in ketosis? My highest blood ketone reading has been 1.2 and would often be 0.8 after eating. Big hugs!

That's my belief too. My best has been 1.1 (a couple of times) but more normally I'm 0.7. This is first thing in the morning before any food or drink.

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can tell I am in ketosis by my breath and sometimes my sweat smell. Also, my urine changes odor as well. I have heard that ketostix can be misleading.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What you have to know.. those first 12 pounds.. bare "bull". they are almost all water weight. You put it back as your body adjusts, so it looks like a stall, but it was just smoke and mirrors in the first place. you have lost 4.2 pounds a month.. a little over a pound a week, which is normal :) You are doing great. It the patience thing. Me too. I started off losing 15 pounds in the first couple of weeks, them 10 of them came back, then it started to go down again, but slowly, about 1.5 pounds a week. And it doesn't show on the scale except once a month, then suddenly I am down 3 kilos. I understand. Don't give up!
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that you aren't intaking enough. Your macros are the same as mine, but I'm female. I also have insulin resistance, and am the same height. I was intaking about 1000 on straight low carb, and after tracking, found I wasn't eating enough. Once I learned to eat at about 1500 calories, I started losing. I think you'll find that you will start to lose when you intake the minimum your body needs - and 1500 for you just isn't going to be enough.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ldmoor wrote: »
    I have to agree that you aren't intaking enough. Your macros are the same as mine, but I'm female. I also have insulin resistance, and am the same height. I was intaking about 1000 on straight low carb, and after tracking, found I wasn't eating enough. Once I learned to eat at about 1500 calories, I started losing. I think you'll find that you will start to lose when you intake the minimum your body needs - and 1500 for you just isn't going to be enough.

I'm doing 1750 now, so hopefully that's the answer!
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple weeks, and if its still not moving the scale downward, I'd go higher not lower.