Flat Stomach...Maybe She's Born With It?

Options
MountainMaggie
MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
Everyone wants a flat stomach. Well, amost everyone. I'd like a flatter stomach, but sometimes I think it's all genetic. I really haven't tried to get one, and I don't obsess about not having one, but it sure looks and sounds nice. I've had a flat stomach a couple of times, but I was really underweight then and unhealthy. I am pretty petite and fit, and occasionally I wake up with a flat stomach...which is gone as soon as I eat something. Some people's stomachs, I know, stick out after they eat, some people's don't, and it seems mine sticks out even more if I'm skinnier, and I'm not alone.
I work out A LOT. I run about 30 miles a week, and I work 60 hours a week in a manual labor job that works all of my body, and have great muscle tone. I have fantastic abs (although some are obscured by the belly. Lol). I am slightly pear shaped, which I'm told is way healthier than top heavy. I have a low center of gravity. I eat very well. I do all the things you should do to get a flat belly, but don't have it.
Is this like a thigh gap? Is this an achievable thing for all, or is it a generally unrealistic standard of beauty? Many girls have a thigh gap naturally, and that's fine. I personally wouldn't trade my muscular legs in order to have one. Is it the same with the flat stomach?
Curious on your thoughts, as I sip my wine and eat cheese, which surely isn't helping my case, gloriously unconcerned about my belly pooch.

Replies

• TheJenProject
    TheJenProject Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    this post is awesome and yes I agree some of it is genetics. I generally will not have a flat stomach no matter how slim I get it will remain relatively soft. However, I do not focus on doing ab exercises but just accept that my stomach will always swell when i put any food in my body. I had some friends that had incredibly flat stomachs, I think part of it has to do with where are bodies naturally store fat, for some its hips, butt and legs. But for me it`s in the stomach area! Oh well I guess I`ll just never be able to wear crop tops and stretchy pants are def a must!
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally agree. I will always have a bit of a belly. I have a crazy short torso and really long legs.

And I don't have a thigh gap, but I am beginning to see daylight sometimes between my legs (I am working hard on this!). That is pure genetics too - I have extra wide hips, so my legs are further apart than someone with slender hips.
  • nativemistlg
    nativemistlg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    She might have been born with it but I guarantee if she still has it, she is working hard at it.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ This.

But I definitely think it is "easier" for some body types. I have come to the conclusion that my Bodyfat percentage will have to be crazy low for me to have visible abs because now that I am older, the fat just sits on my middle. I have a healthy bodyfat percentage--about 25%--but every bit of it is on my abs! My legs are slim and muscular. My arms are tiny and getting more muscular. But the fat on my abs doesn't budge. And I really don't have a belly--just an even blanket of fat between my bust and hips. My waist is just thick! And as a young woman I had the ideal 36-24-36. Age has changed it! Also, being short waisted doesn't help! So maybe I've given up on having a slim mid section.

I'm interested in others' opinions on this. . . . . ,
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm endomorphic, pear shaped lady and will never ever have (never had) slim thighs or small bum, but I can easily ''work out'' my way through flat stomach. Body shape all the way...
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Never had a flat stomach and I so want one! I used to teach Jazzercise and even then I was VERY toned (taught 2 classes, 5 days a week) but still had a belly. I am short waisted, chest barreled and sway backed (me thinks I was badly put together LOL). So, I think it surely is genetics. Also, couldn't I get the fat from by belly to my boobs? Huh? Please?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally agree. I will always have a bit of a belly. I have a crazy short torso and really long legs.

Oh my gosh this is me. :#

All I've been doing is running. I know for a fact if I want to improve my tummy it's going to take lots of work. I plan on getting to that this winter when I can't run outside.

• ShanonVdM
    ShanonVdM Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I read all the posts and i know the feeling. At the moment I am trying to lose just a little, I can feel i have hard abs but theres this annoying layer over it haha. Also the thigh gap... My thighs are weird? My inner thighs seems to be fat and the outer thigh is muscle ... Lately I am running alot ! 6 days a week and bootcamp 3 days a week .. We shall see if i get my abs and if my weird thighs can change!
  • MountainMaggie
    Options
    She might have been born with it but I guarantee if she still has it, she is working hard at it.

^^^This is great. I will quote you.

Thanks for all you comments! I am really interested on people's perspectives. I also like to think a small belly is a side effect of having other awesome curves, like my backside, a.k.a. my best side. lol. For the record, I DO have nice abs! But like I said, some are obscured by that protective layer. lol.
  • MountainMaggie
    Options
    By the way, as for my profile pic, mid swing while swinging a pick axe is a great angle to create the illusion of having a flat tummy (that pic is an anomale).
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been thinking about this a lot, as this site is mostly about health and not so much about "fitspo". But if you look at the images of women who have lost a ton of weight and gotten fit, on this site, (which is way more representative than Tumblr fitspo posts, and way more encouraging) you see very few totally flat stomachs. Women naturally carry padding around their uterus, especially with age, and to treat this as "unwanted" fat is not always accurate. But I've seen plenty of women with a bit of tummy flab that look wonderfully athletic and toned; I wouldn't stress it. Furthermore, I've recently noticed that some stores on Madison Ave (near where I live, upper east side) have started displaying mannequins which (while still unattainably skinny and tall) at least have the suggestion of stomach protrusion. Because you know who have totally flat stomachs? Teenagers, low-fat men, and a small percentage of mature women who are genetically predisposed. Just because we had totally flat stomachs in high school, doesn't mean we can always look that way again without becoming unhealthy.

Chances are, you're doing great with your fitness goals; please cut yourself some slack for not looking like a model. Because if you can see the size of your meal through your stomach, you're probably quite svelte.
  • CarolynInDC
    CarolynInDC Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Same thing with the (stupidly) coveted thigh gap. With my body type (naturally busty and "butty," and even at my lowest adult weight neither of these really reduced), I would have to get to a dangerously low weight to have a thigh gap. I'm pretty sure it's the same with my stomach. I need to work on accepting that latter more.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep. No matter how thin I get..I still have a little 'pooch'. I find that when I hit my optimum weight and work out a lot, it isn't quite as noticeable.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    Also, couldn't I get the fat from by belly to my boobs? Huh? Please?

^ This would be amazing!

I have that little belly pooch as well and haven't been able to figure out how to even make it smaller. Its just a part of me!
  • MountainMaggie
    Options
    It all depends on genetics. I've always had a small waist, but women on my dad's side tend to have BIG bellies (regardless of their weight). The best you can do is lift weights and use good posture.

I have, and have always had, a tiny waist.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    After I lost 110 pounds, I have so much loose skin that the only way I'll have a flat stomach is if I get plastic surgery. Which I'm not going to do.
  • Foursthemagicnumber
    Foursthemagicnumber Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have not had a flat belly since i had my first child ,,13 years ago lol
    I am starting to think some of us cant loose our mummy tummy :-(
    My mum has had a tummy since childbirth before that had an amazing size uk6/8 figure
    Genetics could play a part
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can just say I gain first thing in my belly. I have a thigh gap and have a less than flat tummy. I have also seen ladies with huge hips and a very flat belly.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    No. It's not genetics. If your stomach isn't flat, you're either too high in fat or too low in tone to be flat. #2 is more likely with babies. :) If your abdominal wall separates (mine has, YAY), usually in pregnancy, you might never get a flat tummy, but it's not genetics--it's due to injury. You might also have excess skin.

A belly might be a different shape depending on how you gain--for example, some people get flabby tummies that don't pooch a ton. But that's a different sort of "flat" than what I mean, at least!!!!

And your uterus when you're not pregnant? That's actually located BELOW your pubic bone. Visceral uterine fat doesn't make your belly stick out!

Most women have to have a very, very low body fat percentage to have a flat and toned stomach. I used to have a truly flat stomach--I wasn't trying for any goals, I just weight-lifted a lot for fun and did a little cardio. I didn't get a thigh gap because my muscles were too big (I have a genetic muscle disorder that means I actually AM the mythical bulking woman), but yeah, my stomach was FLAT. To get to that point, though, where it was REALLY flat, was below levels that sustain regular periods.

BTW, actresses and fashion models don't have flat bellies. Pay attention when they wear tight dresses. They curve in front. It's photoshopped in pictures.

I think people just think that flat bellies are way more normal/common than they are.