Greetings I'm a newbie!!

Options
Bruhamama
Bruhamama Posts: 5 Member
Greetings,
My name is Mary
So excited to see that there is a board here for Gastric folks!!
I had my operation on 3/2/15 and have been LOVING my new journey!
I would love to know if anybody else had their surgery the same day as me. Even if you have not, how has your journey been?
I am PROUD to say that I have lost 32 lbs already! This has been the first time that I have lost this much and kept it off in 20 years :)
Trying to avoid my demons, it has been hard, but the pay off will be a new healthy me!
Can't wait to hear from you all!!
Cheers

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery and life change. I had the gastric sleeve 2/2/15 and some days I feel like a pro at managing things other days I feel like it's all new. I'm still making adjustments to different types of foods. I'm still adding in one new food at a time to make sure my new stomach tolerates it well. Portion control is the easiest part I use food scales and measuring cups for all meals. Restaurant eating is a little harder so I just ask for a saucer and make myself a plate from my meal then box up the rest to go. I found if I eat from the plate the food was served in I can't gauge how much I'm eating.

I'm sending you a friend request.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery and life change. I had the gastric sleeve 2/2/15 and some days I feel like a pro at managing things other days I feel like it's all new. I'm still making adjustments to different types of foods. I'm still adding in one new food at a time to make sure my new stomach tolerates it well. Portion control is the easiest part I use food scales and measuring cups for all meals. Restaurant eating is a little harder so I just ask for a saucer and make myself a plate from my meal then box up the rest to go. I found if I eat from the plate the food was served in I can't gauge how much I'm eating.

I'm sending you a friend request.
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I had my sugery on 4/2 and I've lost 30 lbs so far. Some days are easier than others. But feel free to add me. I can always use new friends!!
  • Maria544
    Maria544 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on 3/24 I'm down 29 pounds since my surgery 73 since my heaviest. I'm feeling good overall. I still don't know what to eat sometimes but hanging in there.
  • Bruhamama
    Bruhamama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for responding, sometimes I feel like I am on a block of ice floating in the water because nobody that I know has had it done. But now that I have friends on MFP this may be the rope that pulls me in. I am doing well, usually a lb. a day which to me is great. I don't want to loose it too fast for my body to catch up. I have not been able to exercize since surgery because I was unlucky enough to receive a herniated disc in my neck!! Uggg!!!! But two weeks from now I hope to get out and back in to my water aerobics class where I know I will be getting what a truly need. Thanks again and love to hear from you all!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome, my surgery was 4/7 - I'm losing a little slower than everyone else only 15 lbs since surgery, down 38 overall since beginning my program and down 153 from my all time heaviest. But I am trusting the process, I am having trouble getting in the required calories everyday but everyday is better than the last :)
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi - welcome! I had my RNY on 2/19 and have lost close to 58 pounds so far. Very happy with my journey so far. Just added you.

- Jen

Loveshoe - that's an awesome idea about getting a separate small plate in restaurants!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is a great place for support! Welcome.
  • weightloss20150906
    weightloss20150906 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the process to getting the surgery. I have started writing done everything I eat and chewing everything up and taking my time eating. I use to eat whole cakes and eat all day now I don't enjoy eating any more has this happened to anyone?
  • cutiebbwncali
    cutiebbwncali Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good morning - would love to have support from everyone here. I am having surgery this Monday, May 11th. I am super excited! - and nervous too!
    My highest weight was 454, now at 354.. anyone have the sleeve with a similar start weight?
  • angel073079
    angel073079 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was just approved for my surgery and I'm waiting for my date to be set. Hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks. I'm so excited to move forward. I'm so happy there is a community of people on MFP too to help support this journey of mine! Good luck everyone!!
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job. Good luck with your recovery next week.
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good morning - would love to have support from everyone here. I am having surgery this Monday, May 11th. I am super excited! - and nervous too!
    My highest weight was 454, now at 354.. anyone have the sleeve with a similar start weight?

Wow you did great. My hightest was 386 and my surgery weight was 348. I'm now down to 315. Best of luck to you!!!
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cutiebbwncali I am two days post op and still in the hospital. I earned an extra day because I didn't get my liquid in as I wasn't working on that. I was concentrating on getting the walking in and thought I had the water under control. I have really had a good experience. No horrible pain but some soreness when I tried tomove out of bed. Practice early on getting sips of water. My goal from my doc was 40 oz in 24 hours and I had about 12. I am doing better already at 21 at 4:30. I have until 7 or 8 am to finish up. When they check every 2 hours through the night I will yake another oz or two good. luck on monday.

• raqdabells73
    raqdabells73 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Welcome!!!! I had my sleeve done on 2/18/15. My HW was 406, SW was 346 and CW is 308.
    Good luck to you on your surgery today. I hope it went well for you.
  • dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My RNY was 4/1/15 and I have also lost 34 lbs from my heaviest in Nov,2014...24 lbs since surgery date. I've had a little problem in that I have an ulcer, causing PAIN and some vomiting. I've gone back to more protein drinks until I heal. Am I glad I had surgery? YES!!
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new here also, just added this group, so much awesome information and input from others =] I had VSG on 5/5/15, which was a week ago. I am dealing with the liquid diet and it is really getting to me because I am just missing eating normally. I am 23, and have lots of emotional issues and that is one of my biggest struggles. My incisions are healing nicely and I feel overall ok, just struggling with the 64 ounces a day and meeting protein goals because I am so unmotivated to drink just all liquids. I don't have many friends on this app since I have not been very active in forums etc, please feel free to add me. I haven't been consistently logging my liquids because it is all the same things I am drinking and it gets old logging in the exact same things. But I have been using this app for about 10 months prior to my surgery and I find that logging is really helpful in staying accountable. I did not have VSG as an easy way out or for looks, it is all for health and happiness. I started out weighing 239 and now weigh 206. I hope my little bio was interesting and to make new friends, thanks and blessings =]
  • dhackenberg
    dhackenberg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to my fitness pal and loving it so far. I am also looking into having the gastric sleeve this summer. I have lost 8 pounds so far to get ready for the surgery and have been having a difficult time until I started my fitness pal and there is something about seeing the calories in black and white and red that really has me interested. I hope I can keep the momentum going. Any tips for me as I start this whole process?
  • Merylk34
    Merylk34 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to my fitness pal and loving it so far. I am also looking into having the gastric sleeve this summer. I have lost 8 pounds so far to get ready for the surgery and have been having a difficult time until I started my fitness pal and there is something about seeing the calories in black and white and red that really has me interested. I hope I can keep the momentum going. Any tips for me as I start this whole process?

For me it was tracking track tracking. Exercise is also really really important along with drinking water. I made sure to get in at least 64 oz every day. Start walking a little each day and build up to more. Prior to my surgery I had a 1200 calorie diet to follow and it helped drop the weight I needed for surgery and even 6 additional pounds. I had surgery on May 4th (the sleeve). Best decision I have ever made even though the first 3 days were pretty rough.