stinky pee?????

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
I know....way TMI but today's day 5 of Atkins induction and my pee stinks! Can't even describe it. I feel awesome today. Urine is clear, no pain so I'm sure it's not a UTI. Is this normal?

Replies

• mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Haha everything will smell weird. At least for a while.. BO, urine, lady parts. Lovely isn't it lovely
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Normal and will go away, I didn't really notice much when I first started, but metallic taste in my mouth was terrible.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Only when I eat asparagus.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Only when I eat asparagus.

Lol, and it gets there before it seems possible to have been digested!

Ang, maybe you are picking up an acetone smell from ketones?
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's the ketones. Even after years of low carbing, I can tell in the morning if I should expect to lose just from the smell. LOL
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Lol so gross. I was wondering if maybe my sense of smell was just sharper
    or something ;)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the ketosis. Is different in the beginning but you will adjust and it will be your new normal.
  • YukiBuns
    YukiBuns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have any weird urine smells even though I'm in Ketosis, or at least maybe I just never noticed. Maybe it's different for everyone.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    YukiBuns wrote: »
    I don't seem to have any weird urine smells even though I'm in Ketosis, or at least maybe I just never noticed. Maybe it's different for everyone.

I agree, I don't really smell anything particularly different about my urine (ie mostly I can't smell it!)

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Mine smelled bad for several weeks when adapting. It also smells when I splurge and go out and then go back into ketosis. It smells bad like a chemical smell. It's not the same as asparagus pee smell, though. That is rank!
  • kerrihwilson
    kerrihwilson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know I'm in ketosis when my pee smells like spam... It sounds weird but it almost gets slick too... I think it's rather encouraging. When you think of it ... With what we are eating it should change!

• DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot more water and it will dilute the ketones some..causing the smell of the urine to go closer to what is normal for you. I use raspberry ketones to combat the bad smell too and it works really well. I contacted the manufacturer about digestable carbs and was told zero(as you should always check meds and vitamins)... It will also help a little with the ketone breath and sweat.
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I felt like this for the first month. Now either I'm used to it or it's gone!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    always lasts for a couple weeks with me when I get back into it more strict, but then goes away...or not nearly as strong
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mine only does that when I slide closer to the edge near out of ketosis, then back in, but I've been keto since mid-February, so I slide back into using up all those ketones (rather than peeing out the extra, which is what makes your urine smell) pretty quickly. So, it may come and go, depending on where you are in production/using what you make for energy. As you become fully fat adapted (which can take months depending on the person), you'll notice this smell lessening. :)
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Well its been a couple of weeks since my original post and no more stinky pee ;) lasted about a week.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I gave a urine sample at my doctor's office and I joked that the lab techs will keel over from the smell!