Sleep apnea

Options
dragonflies6
dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
I'm a little bummed. I had my overnight oximetry done and found out today that my results are consistent with sleep apnea. Not sure if they will require me to have a sleep study done. But I feel like I keep getting things checked off the list for surgery and more things get added.

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you have sleep apnea, getting it treated may help you feel much better - I had no idea how bad off I was until my sleep study. And after surgery you may find it improves or even gets resolved. I've had my CPAP pressure reduced twice in the six months since surgery, and hope a sleep study when I reach maintenance will confirm that I don't need the machine any longer.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. I didn't have to get the sleep study - they just gave me the c-pap machine. Things have been much better since.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I also started sleeping with a c-pap 2 months ago, much to my disappointment. My husband has had one for a few years and there is nothing sexy about those things. But I will say that I am feeling more rested during the day, which gives me more energy to exercise and motivates me to eat better. So at the end of the day it's been a good thing. I also hope it's only a temporary thing and that following surgery I may be able to eliminate it down the road.
    NOTE: it may also help you to qualify for the surgery since it's one of the things that insurance companies look at.

Good luck!
  • sunshine5474
    sunshine5474 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got the machine 8 months before my surgery and got rid of it 8 months after! With the weight loss I no longer required it. Everyone is different but you never know. And you will find you have more energy.
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say you may be in for a delay. I had to wait for an appointment with the sleep doctor, wait for an appointment with the sleep lab, wait for the test results, wait for another appointment to determine proper settings, then wait for the insurance to authorize the machine. Still adjusting to it and I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with it. I'm on a bi-pap and praying the surgery will get rid of it someday soon.
    But without it --no surgery approval.