Mommy pudge?

Options
reaganshore12
reaganshore12 Posts: 4 Member
Hi all, first post!
My daughter is 10 weeks old, and I just found out about a beach trip SO's family is planning for early next month. I've been running about a mile every-other day or so the past month, and started doing yoga from YouTube when baby sleeps as soon as Pp bleeding stopped. I'm also on day 8 of a 30daychallange for abs. I stayed very active during my pregnancy, and I think that's what helped my bounce back.

I'm happy with my weight, and my legs are starting to get toned from running. But is there any tips on tightening my abs back up?
I've heard sit-ups are the worst, I've been told they're the best.
Do I really only need core stability?
Coming in on one side is "Cut calories" and the other side says "Eat! You're nursing!" I've came to the point that I load up on oatmeal, quinoa, eggs, and salads.

What worked for everyone else?

Replies

• amyrichard34
    amyrichard34 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Be easy on yourself..you're only 10 weeks post baby. It can take up to 6 months just for your organs to go back to their usual place Your body needs time to recover and heal. You have to eat enough calories to support nursing or your milk supply will go down...that being said, you don't' have to overeat either. Core strength is definitely the way to go in my opinion, planks of all types:) I didn't get back to feeling like myself until about 18 months after I had my second baby...so relax, enjoy it for what it is and you will get there when your body is ready:)
  • reaganshore12
    reaganshore12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oof, my post made it sound more serious than it is. Running and yoga is for stress relief, and giving SO alone time with short stuff.

I guess what I was really asking is what information works, and what is just myth. It seems like PP fitness is nothing but myths and contradictions.
  • Stephanielove1986
    Stephanielove1986 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know, but I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I just joined and started MFP tonight, and I'm 12 weeks postpartum after baby #3. I am also EBF. That's part of the difficulty, too. Our bodies "want" to hang onto those few extra pounds while we're nursing (or at least I've heard, but as you said, that could be a myth, too lol).

I already drink water like it's going out of style for my milk supply. I drink so much water that it's extremely rare that I drink anything else at all, minus a one-off Gatorade or cup of coffee here and there. That has to count for something, right? lol

I also babywear (lifesaver!) and take walks with her at least a few times per week. But other than that, I haven't really tried doing anything to lose the baby weight yet. I gained 35#.

With my previous pregnancies, it took me about ten months (54#) and six to seven months (30#) without a whole lot of extra effort. My first two were 18 months apart whereas my second and third are 7.5 years apart, so I could maybe get away with that again... but with summer starting, I want to feel comfortable in my skin again as the layers of clothes come off.

Sorry I'm not of much help, but I feel your pain and am right there with you.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months post partum and in the best shape of my life. Honestly I strongly encourage you to add a weight lifting routine if you want to tighten your core. Squats and dead lifts have been remarkable not only for my legs and booty but my core as well! What your eating is awesome body fuel so you're on the right track!
  • kikijojo28
    kikijojo28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 12 months pp and still breastfeeding. I've heard that until you stop completely it'll be hard to shift the last few pounds.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    More strength/weights, less cardio.

For that beach vacation, try going low low carb and low sodium for the two weeks prior, (or, to keep it simple, follow a Paleo plan), basically nothing overly processed. Not really a long term solution, at least not for me, but it can help tighten things up a bit, fast.

Oh, and land's end ultra high waist, tummy control bikini bottoms are God's gift to new mothers.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    kikijojo28 wrote: »
    I am 12 months pp and still breastfeeding. I've heard that until you stop completely it'll be hard to shift the last few pounds.

This was true for me.

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    haibu wrote: »

Oh, and land's end ultra high waist, tummy control bikini bottoms are God's gift to new mothers.

And probably a lot of others of us too!!!!!

• Cassiea199
    Cassiea199 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As far as myths and facts go ive done research from credible sources and you shouldnt let ur calorie intake drop below 1800 calories if ur breatfeeding. Also 1 in 3 women get something called diastasis recti during pregmancy. Basically ur stomach muscles get pulled apart during pregnancy and if u do situps after pregnancy it could make it worse. If u look it up u should be able to find out how to check if u have it and what excersizes to do to help it, like wall sits.
    as far as opinions go i would say dont push urself very hard right away because ur family isnt going to benefit from u wearing urself out every day but u kno ur limits better then anyone else. If it was me i would wait till my kid was sleeping through the night to really push myself. I waited a year before i really started trying and now im kicking myself in the butt for it so i admire ur determination.
  • whisper34c
    whisper34c Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.. I was 8 months pp when I realized my stomach wasn't going anywhere. I still looked like I was 5 months pregnant. Here's a pic.. mpyf2n1lq9jv.jpg
    I did lots of cardio & strength training.. I jogged, did weight training but then realized I needed a program that had all of the above & then some. Plus I needed to lay off the sugary stuff & drink lots of water. I really don't like the plain taste of water so I drink cran-water to get to where I am now. You can add me if you want
  • whisper34c
    whisper34c Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry the pic came out so big
  • ReginaPhelangie
    ReginaPhelangie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are tons of good ab workouts that do not include crunches or sit ups. I don't do crunches they ALWAYS make my neck hurt. I love leg raises, windshield wipers and even tho I detest doing Planks they are super good for strengthening your core and there are TONS of variations. I find a lot of my short 15 minute core strengthening workouts on pinterest.
  • chersgurl902
    chersgurl902 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all, first post!
    My daughter is 10 weeks old, and I just found out about a beach trip SO's family is planning for early next month. I've been running about a mile every-other day or so the past month, and started doing yoga from YouTube when baby sleeps as soon as Pp bleeding stopped. I'm also on day 8 of a 30daychallange for abs. I stayed very active during my pregnancy, and I think that's what helped my bounce back.

I'm happy with my weight, and my legs are starting to get toned from running. But is there any tips on tightening my abs back up?
    Coming in on one side is "Cut calories" and the other side says "Eat! You're nursing!" I've came to the point that I load up on oatmeal, quinoa, eggs, and salads.

• chersgurl902
    Options
    Hi all, first post!

• chersgurl902
    Options
    After having three kids I now wish I used a corset earlier as well as core exercise. My husband's sisters all wore them for thirty days after giving birth and were no in shape that fast. Plusin There culture they do a chicken, veggies, rice diet for 30 days. It really does the trick, i was just to stubborn. Don't overdue your legs when working out without strengthening your core as well, you can strain or even worse get a hernia like I did, due to a weak core...:(
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Core work is super important.. Planks are challenging and can be done anywhere. It will also help with running. I assume your doc has cleared you to work out.. Be patient. It took nine months for your belly to grow, it will take even more time for it to be back to normal.