Hitting rock bottom

Options
ICan4Me296
ICan4Me296 Posts: 5 Member
So this is my first post here, hi I'm Amy. I've used MFP in the past (once lost 90 lbs!) but of course as soon as I stopped watching calories and logging exercise it was easy to slip back into old habits. I started noticing that my clothes were getting tight again and I had to go up a size when I bought capris for the summer. I was reluctant to see what that meant on the scale. But last week I finally bit the bullet and checked. 301.5. Even then looking at a number I'd never seen on the scale it didn't seem to register. When I weighed yesterday morning I had dipped down to 296.5 (probably because I weighed before I ate, etc) after watching what I was eating a little more carefully this past week. But my son had sent me a gift card so I thought maybe I'll go get a summer dress. My darling husband helped me pick out a very cute dress and I stepped into the dressing room to try it on. After I thought I had myself pulled together I walked back out and hung up the dress with hubby looking at me like he knew there was something wrong. "I don't want to look at clothes anymore" I told him and then he just hugged me while I broke down in tears in the middle of the store. I can't do this anymore. I can't do it to myself. I deserve better than what I have done to myself. I don't deserve to cry after trying on clothes. I am worth more than this. So I'm here. And I am going to do better.

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Hi ican, i hope you find the support you need, its so hard to admit that you have found your bottom. Best advice make the changes you know you can make for life!
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amy!! Good luck on your journey :)
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That is your EpiphaMe; that moment that changes something in you, as hard as that moment is. Welcome to a great support network! And you are right, you deserve better from yourself and now you will do better. Raising my glass of water to you!
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've had similar moments with dressing rooms, and that's one of the reasons I'm here too.

We'll all get to the point where it isn't a tortuous experience, and we'll feel comfortable shopping for clothes.
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello Ican. I think so many of us relate to your story. I definitely know that i can. I'm sending a big warm hug your way and reaching out for your hand. Glad you are here and taking those first steps to a healthier, happier you.

• ICan4Me296
    Options
    Thank you all for the welcome. I struggle with food but for the time being I'm working at adding exercise to my daily routine. Baby steps in the right direction!
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The biggest impact to the scale comes from reducing calories consumed. A lot harder to burn 2 pounds of fat (7,000 calories) than to eat 1,000 calories less than maintenance a day.

That said, the biggest thing I'd to do something. If you'd prefer exercise over reduced intake it's a step in the right direction and both are important in the long run.
  • ICan4Me296
    Options
    Oh I understand that the majority of how the weight comes off is by reducing calories, but for me, the calorie watching is easy and when I do track them, I'm usually below my limit for the day, that's why I said I'm not really concentrating on that part. The hard part for me is getting up and moving. I sit at a desk all day, but it's a stressful job, so when I get home I don't want to do anything. So right now I'm focusing on getting up and moving, even when I don't really feel like it. My husband is helping! We're both gamers, so we got a dancing game to get started with and so far, so good. We've been doing it for about 40 minutes a night, taking turns and trying to top each other's scores. ^_^ Making it fun makes it easier.
  • ICan4Me296
    Options
    I've also reduced my soda intake and instead of a large iced coffee and mcmuffin from McD's every work morning, now I'm taking my breakfast to work along with my lunch. I can tell that it's making a difference in my energy levels!
  • Sjk255
    Sjk255 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ICan4Me296 wrote: »
    I've also reduced my soda intake and instead of a large iced coffee and mcmuffin from McD's every work morning, now I'm taking my breakfast to work along with my lunch. I can tell that it's making a difference in my energy levels!

One of the biggest changes I have made is skipping dunkin donuts in the morning! I make my own egg white sandwich and iced coffee with fat free creamer instead.
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a good start. You are definitely doing the right things! Best of luck to you, and I'll send you a friend request!
    Diane
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm so excited for you as you start this journey.