Lost my orignal FitBit

Options
thankyou4thevenom
thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
So I've now completely managed to lose my (original) fitbit and am looking to buy a new one. Since I am not looking to switch brands I thought I'd ask in here what people thought was the best one to go for.

I had the original one very tiny and pretty much perfect. So I was looking at the the One because it's pretty much the same thing but I was also wondering if I should go for the Charge? I'm completely ignoring the Flex as it's got less features than the One.
I'm not very good with things around my wrists but that's really because I've gotten out of the habit of wearing a watch. I am also heading out to a festival (in just over a month) so a good charge life of seven+ days would be nice.
Which is has the better clasp (less likely to come off), the Charge or the Charge HR?

How much better is the Charge over the One?

TL:DR

Which is better, the One, Charge or Charge HR?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Which is has the better clasp (less likely to come off), the Charge or the Charge HR?

I can only talk about the Fitbits I've used. Flex has a two-pronged metal clasp you push into a hole on either side of the strap. In a year & a half, mine fell off at least three times—which is why I upgraded.

Charge HR is much wider than the Flex, but the strap is shorter. (I probably should have gone up a size.) It's just like a watch, with a metal buckle. I could never use the clippy Fitbits—I just know I'd forget to wear it and/or put it in the laundry. But it's a matter of personal preference.

ETA: This article says the Charge doesn't have the Charge HR's buckle. Scroll down for a close-up photo: http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/gadget/3501231/which-fitbit-is-best-buy/
  • gingersnap143
    gingersnap143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the One, but recently upgraded to the fitbit HR. I loved the One! I never, ever had a problem with it! The battery life is great and it was perfect for me. The only reason I upgraded to the HR is because I have the need to track my heart rate all day so I would have a truer calories burned report.... and I didn't want to have 2 things to keep track of. I am like you, I wasn't sure I would be ok with something on my wrist, but I have had it 3 days and I am completely ok with it! It is light! I love, love love it!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I can only talk about the Fitbits I've used. Flex has a two-pronged metal clasp you push into a hole on either side of the strap. In a year & a half, mine fell off at least three times—which is why I upgraded.

Charge HR is much wider than the Flex, but the strap is shorter. (I probably should have gone up a size.) It's just like a watch, with a metal buckle. I could never use the clippy Fitbits—I just know I'd forget to wear it and/or put it in the laundry. But it's a matter of personal preference.

ETA: This article says the Charge doesn't have the Charge HR's buckle. Scroll down for a close-up photo: http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/gadget/3501231/which-fitbit-is-best-buy/

Thank you. That was very helpful!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind moving the Fitbit from one piece of clothing to another, the One is a good choice. I had one until I forgot it was in my pocket and threw it in the wash (it did recover after 10 days). I now have a Charge HR and I love it. I like not having to move it when I change clothes and I really like having the heart rate function, but after 5 months, it still bothers me a little to have it on my wrist (I'm a Princess and the Pea sort and lots of things bother me).

The Charge HR does NOT have the battery life of the One. I doubt it would last for a full week. If I were going to need it to last longer than 3 days, I'd turn off the HR function for the duration. Those LEDs they use for measuring heart rate are bright and have got to take significant power.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    If you're really not sure, buy a Fitbit at a store near you, keep the receipt, and exchange it if you don't like it.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR , but I have been doing a LOT of reading and research and people say the ONE is much more accurate, as far as steps go, so if you don't need a wrist model, and don't mind moving it around, I would go for the one. The flex and charge track steps when you are doing arm moving activities. a little frustrating.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Do not overthink your step count! I lost the weight & have maintained for 10 months using a Flex + Charge HR. By definition, TDEE is the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize, so my Fitbit burn = TDEE.

Accurate burn is way more important than accurate step count.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    All Fitbits are great.

One pros: carries a long charge and is invisible.

One cons: easy to forget in the wash, no HR.

Flex pros: carries a long charge, waterproof, sleek looking, fashion options (colored replacement bands/jewelry)

Flex cons: clasp occasionally comes undone, no HR. All of my bands broke eventually- there is a structural weakness at the point where the lights shine through.

ChargeHR pros: tells time/date, exact step count, caller ID, automatically tracks sleep (and naps), heart rate (app gives graphs of everything including resting HR over time) and figures out calorie burn without needing any other input from you. Splashproof, rainproof. Buckle clasp stays on.

ChargeHr cons: No fashion option to change strap, somewhat bulky, needs to charge more often than Flex or One, wildly inaccurate stair count (which isn't used in the burn calculations, fortunately).

Charge: slightly less expensive than Charge HR but without the HR and a less secure clasp. I don't understand why anyone would buy this.

Fitbit now supports multiple trackers on one account. I wear my Flex for water activities, and if the Tori Burch Flex jewelry ever becomes affordable, I could see myself slipping my Flex into it for more dressy occasions. I also wear my Flex when I charge my ChargeHR. I wear the Charge HR all day and night unless I'm bathing or charging it. I've gotten used to wearing a "watch" again and I LOVE it.
  • NancyN795
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd add one more con to the Flex: no display. If you want to know how many steps you've taken, how many calories you've burned, etc. you have to pull out your phone. When I was fist considering getting a Fitbit (back in late 2013) the lack of a display was the main reason I ruled out the Flex. Especially since the phone I had at that time wouldn't sync with a Fitbit.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I'd add one more con to the Flex: no display. If you want to know how many steps you've taken, how many calories you've burned, etc. you have to pull out your phone. When I was fist considering getting a Fitbit (back in late 2013) the lack of a display was the main reason I ruled out the Flex. Especially since the phone I had at that time wouldn't sync with a Fitbit.

Flex does have indicators in the form of flashing/glowing lights in the band. Tap the lights and one will glow for every 20% of goal reached. So if I walked 5,000 steps of a 10,000 goal, 2 will glow and one will flicker. I do prefer the digital step readout of the Charge HR.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    FishyK wrote: »
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Flex does have indicators in the form of flashing/glowing lights in the band. Tap the lights and one will glow for every 20% of goal reached. So if I walked 5,000 steps of a 10,000 goal, 2 will glow and one will flicker. I do prefer the digital step readout of the Charge HR.

That's not a display. You can get a very rough approximation of one, pre-selected item. For anything else, you've got to use another device. I'm sure the Flex is a great device. It's the only Fitbit you can wear swimming or in the shower. If you're not the sort of person who needs a real display, then it isn't an issue. But, it should be listed as a "con" for the Flex.