How to know if you have too much fats in your plan?

Options
qkcam
qkcam Posts: 67 Member
I met with a nutritionist and she is recommending 1 cup a day of nuts and seeds, and 6 teaspoons of oils.. isn't 1 cup a day of nuts and seeds ALOT? thoughts?
thank you

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Depends on what else you eat and what you goals are. Maybe not if you are active and burn some calories daily.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A cup of nuts and seeds is a lot, especially if it's a cup without shells (not so much if it's with shells -- nut shells take up a lot of room). 2 tablespoons of oil isn't too bad, though. I use about that much to cook my eggs.

You can't really overdo the fats unless you're also overdoing the calories, which for most people is difficult to do if their carb intake is relatively low (not necessarily ketogenic levels, but lower than SAD).

Nuts aren't the only source of fats, even if you believe the "saturated/animal fats are bad" crap. Avocados, coconuts, and palm fruits are but a few other sources of fats.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    a cup of nuts and seeds is a lot wow, the only time I've ever eaten that many nuts in a day was my stent as a raw vegan and it made me feel like crap. The oils probably wouldn't be hard since that's only 2 tablespoons. My other concern would be that eating a lot of one food everyday is a great way to develop an allergy to it, also in nature you know how hard it would be to gather and open and eat 1 cup of nuts?

Personally I think you need a new nutritionist but I'm grumpy today so who knows. :lol:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much fat for me but from nuts and seeds? omg... and what kind of "oils" is she suggesting? Nuts and seeds are similar to grains when it comes to the damage they can cause in our body.

Imo oils from nuts, seeds and most plants are NOT the best kinds and should be consumed in moderation. As for animal fats, that's the good stuff! Yeah, I know we've been told the opposite and most nutritionists are behind the times unfortunately.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of nuts and seeds, not a cup though and seem to do better losing when I include them in my WOE, although my fat primarily comes from meat and I average 70-100g per day. The more healthy fat I consume, the better I am physically and mentally!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for me that amount of nuts or seeds would be bad news. I know nuts and seeds are on the "okay" list for paleo/primal, though they're advised to be eaten in moderation, as they have similar toxins to grains. Soaking before consuming can help some. Their fats are also Omega 6, right? Which are supposed to be consumed in balance with Omega 3 fats. I think I'm using the right terms. I have a killer headache today, probably a result of five days of massive stress. (Health and family health related, but things are settling down today, thankfully. Maybe I'll sit in the warm sun for a bit.

Also, depends on the oils your nutritionist is suggesting. Seed-based oils are bad news (canola, sunflower, safflower, peanut, soybean). The healthiest choices, I understand, are coconut, olive, palm, and avocado. (I'm sure there are others, too, but those are the ones in my pantry.) Butter (if you can do dairy), and ghee are good, too, but I have suddenly started reacting to butter, so I've removed it from my list for at least the next 30 days.

As to quantities... I might have a handful of nuts, a couple times a week. Almonds are my preference. I'm told macadamia nuts are the healthiest, but I won't have them in the house because they are so poisonous to dogs.

Oils and fats? I'd consider 2TBS a paltry amount. I eat a minimum of 4 TBS a day, and often more. I find that getting at least 60% of my calories in fats keeps me sated and has contributed very positively to my health.
  • qkcam
    Options
    thanks for the great feedback everyone! I thought that sounded like a like.. the other oils she suggested are the healthy ones, olive, coconut, ghee, organic butter, avacado oil, almond, hazelnut, walnut, pecan, macadamia oil.
    also i am to not have any grains or dairy (i guess the butter is ok) sugar or alcohol for 2 weeks. .. my BMR came out to 1713- i have some health issues so sometimes i am more active than others- really confused by this and i can't afford a nutritionist, this one i got through a special health program. she definitely has some great suggestion and at least i have a starting point, she said to see if it helps my energy after 2 weeks and then we can tweek the calories- only thing is i am 35 pounds overweight I can't really afford to add more weight. so i may do more self education- I found this weight loss regime here, seems like not enough food..but maybe i find a middle spot http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/meal-plans-shopping-guides/
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Yes, Robb Wolfe and Mark Sisson were extremely helpful for me when I first started this journey.
  • homesweeths
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just looked at that link. Do you realize that the list at the beginning is just one meal, that you multiply it by 3 or 4? That is actually a lot of food! Especially if you're getting at least half your calories in fat, you eliminate white potatoes and limit super starchy vegetables like sweet potato, parsnips, beets. (Not eliminate, just limit to keep your carbs under 100g for the day.)

It's doable. I've been doing it for years. My biggest problem is getting enough calories in a day because I am never hungry.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is such a thing as too much fat, unless you've gone over in your calories. 1 c of shelled nuts and seeds is too much IMO. I limit those since they stall weight loss for me.
  • qkcam
    Options
    definitely puts me over my daily calorie intake . The odd thing is when I went to her I told her I wanted to lose weight , yet calls got increased. at this point I found out my body cannot tolerate that many nuts and oils . I've been up since 3 o'clock this morning with trips to the bathroom. I guess my body is not very happy with all the nuts or it could be the egg whites I am not sure not sure what I'm gonna be eating for the day. whole stomach feels really upset. The ideas any nuts today make me feel kind of nauseous.
  • homesweeths
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some suggestions:

Look up "bone broth" and cook some up. If your stomach is very grumpy, don't add vegetables, just a tablespoon of sea salt and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the pot. It's amazing, but the chicken bone broth I've made this way is delicious. I haven't tried it yet with beef bones.

Drink a cup of bone broth first thing in the morning.

Gelatin is soothing and healing. Look up Great Lakes green label collagen. I take 2 tablespoons every morning, in coffee, or filtered water with raw apple cider vinegar, or added to bone broth.

Look up the "safe" list of autoimmune paleo foods and try to eat off that list for a few days, see if your digestive issues improve. It can take a month, or even three months, to see improvement, and improvement can be so gradual you might not even realize it's happening, until you start to reintroduce foods and suddenly feel horrible, and realize what the wrong foods were doing to your body all along. It is very motivating. I miss tomatoes and potatoes, for example, but I have no temptation to eat them anymore.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Without any numbers, it's hard telling whether the increase in calories a good thing, but if your bmr is 1700, then you were probably under eating and needed your calories brought more in line with what your body needs. Less food isn't necessarily better and 9 times out of 10, will hinder your progress, not advance it.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Very true! I did not lose at 1200 calories. I am losing weight at 1500 - 1700.
  • qkcam
    Options
    she did give me reciepe for bone broths i have to find a place to get the organic bones. i have been loggin my cals in MFP for over a year and i average around 1800 to 2200 and haven't lost any weight
  • qkcam
    Options
    also I am 35 pounds overweight.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I really don't think consumption of lots of plant/nut oils are healthy. :( Coconut, avocado, and olive are the better ones of the bunch; but still the animal fats are the good ones and most of them come right inside the food and do not have to be added. Ghee and butter, and what's in meat would be the best fats. imo
  • homesweeths
    Options
    qkcam wrote: »
    she did give me reciepe for bone broths i have to find a place to get the organic bones. i have been loggin my cals in MFP for over a year and i average around 1800 to 2200 and haven't lost any weight

If you've been logging, take a look at your daily grams of carbs. I'd be curious to hear where you fall on Mark Sisson's carb chart.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you have been logging, how are you measuring? Also, what were you eating during that time?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    qkcam wrote: »

Easiest way is to get bone-in cuts of meat and save the bones.