Mimicking Flavor Profiles - Cool Ranch? Etc.

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
My guy bought a bag of cool ranch doritos. I've licked and tossed a few, and I even tried one and the chip tasted like paste and sawdust, so zero temptation there. I cannot stand actual ranch dressing, but I love the flavor of ranch, particular in powder. I tried those dressing mix powder knock offs for making my own ranch seasoning, but without investing in buttermilk powder (large container), I don't know how to get that tang.

So I wanted to ask if anyone had a recipe or idea of how to do this without buying the mix packet...which I will do, but I haven't checked the carbs on it lately. I want the FLAVOR. I don't even care really about the method - sauce, dip, cheese crisp, mix in, powder to spring on everything...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I found this LINK, but I don't know how it tastes since I haven't made it. Buttermilk itself is what adds to the carb count.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    This is similar, if not the recipe I used, without the tang. I guess I could try mixing it with sour cream for a dip or something. I don't normally make it up like that.. I usually put it in soup or like with the chips, I wanted to salty flavor with the tang. Might have to break down and buy the buttermilk powder.

Thanks!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    They make popcorn toppers in ranch flavor. Mix it with mayo or just on some veggies? I don't know if it will have the ranch you're looking for.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I want to figure out how to make ranch flavoured salad oil
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    They make popcorn toppers in ranch flavor. Mix it with mayo or just on some veggies? I don't know if it will have the ranch you're looking for.

I did end up getting a popcorn flavor thing, but in the ingredients it does list out corn syrup solids and buttermilk solids, yet the container claims no carbs - due to the small quantity per serving. I did note that when I had ANY, it left me wanting MORE, so I will use it sparingly. Dealt with the craving though.

Also am looking forward to trying it on cheese crisps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »

I would imagine the spice blend minus the buttermilk powder, mixed in with oils would be like that "ranch" version of Italian dressing...

Maybe google something like "non-dairy ranch dressing."
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Keliandra wrote: »

I would imagine the spice blend minus the buttermilk powder, mixed in with oils would be like that "ranch" version of Italian dressing...

Maybe google something like "non-dairy ranch dressing."

I found Ranch Mayonaise!

http://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-ranch-dressing-recipe/

and a coconut oil version

http://yumuniverse.com/creamy-dairy-free-soy-free-ranch-dressing/
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    SO! Here's some musings on ranch dressings, based on personal experience and this article: 5 buttermilk questions you were too embarrassed to ask

The buttermilk tang and flavour seems to be a combination of lactic acid and diacetyl, which is the main flavor compound of butter. When trying to culture milk at home, they found vinegar didn't work as well as lemon juice, and if you didn't want the lemon flavour, you could try cream of tartar.

I posit that you could start with storebought or homemade crème fraîche and add mayo and spices from there as an experiment. If it's the acid of the culture plus the milkfat, you're looking at something that has significantly less carbs than buttermilk. Highly cultured yoghurt and butter may also give you a similar flavour, though yoghurt tends to have its own unique flavour that may negatively alter the final result.

If you're looking for the flavour but not the dairy, you could try just using a tiny amount of cream of tartar and spices whisked into some oil and/or mayo.

I am ultra picky about my ranch, so I'd have to tweak according to my taste, and I suspect you'd have to do the same, but freeing yourself from the packet could be a good investment of time!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    SO! Here's some musings on ranch dressings, based on personal experience and this article: 5 buttermilk questions you were too embarrassed to ask

The buttermilk tang and flavour seems to be a combination of lactic acid and diacetyl, which is the main flavor compound of butter. When trying to culture milk at home, they found vinegar didn't work as well as lemon juice, and if you didn't want the lemon flavour, you could try cream of tartar.

I posit that you could start with storebought or homemade crème fraîche and add mayo and spices from there as an experiment. If it's the acid of the culture plus the milkfat, you're looking at something that has significantly less carbs than buttermilk. Highly cultured yoghurt and butter may also give you a similar flavour, though yoghurt tends to have its own unique flavour that may negatively alter the final result.

If you're looking for the flavour but not the dairy, you could try just using a tiny amount of cream of tartar and spices whisked into some oil and/or mayo.

I am ultra picky about my ranch, so I'd have to tweak according to my taste, and I suspect you'd have to do the same, but freeing yourself from the packet could be a good investment of time!

Yeah, I think I said above, but I'm weird - I cannot stand the liquid form of ranch...never have been able to, though maybe now I will be able to stand it since everything is changing, but the thought of it still turns my stomach. I have been able to use the ranch dressing mix for the last few years in my taco soup (that I have to work on updating to be semi-friendly to LCHFMP eating), so I like the FLAVORS, just something in it mixed up... blech. Restaurant stuff for dipping appetizers is questionable at best. I find it tolerable it is a blend (avocado ranch, dill ranch, etc.), but then only in super small quantities.

I'll definitely think through this.

And yes, when I use milk to make faux-buttermilk for buttermilk biscuits for my guy, I've always used warm milk with lemon juice and he's never noticed a difference. LOL