Nausea - all the time

Options
bonzaburns
bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
Is there anyone out there who has nausea literaly two seconds after putting something down the hatch? I've had to resort to putting my fingers down my throat, and I know that this isn't the answer. Plus I'm getting the gurgling sound, and you'd think the food didn't have time to reach my stomach.

I had sleeve surgery on 9th March, so I'm nearly two months down the track. I can't seem to find much that doesn't effect me this way. I was okay with Chicken, but now this is creating the nausea and sick feeling. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now.

I used to like salmon & tuna, but this turns my stomach now, so does porridge.

The first month was great, and I coped without nausea from food or drink.

I'm happy with my progress though, so don't get me wrong. I have my next check up on 5th June, so will ask the doctor/nurses about it, but thought someone might have experienced this.

Cheers Chris

PS Is there anything nice to eat...lol

Replies

• Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem. Maybe try talking to ypu nutritionist.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    How quickly are you eating? I find I only get nausea when I eat too quickly or have a larger amount than what I need trying to go down at any given time. Try chewing in smaller bites, more slowly and more thoroughly and see if that helps. Also, make sure you are really heeding the rule to not drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating. This can seriously bloat the food in your stomach, which can also cause nausea.

Also, are you drinking protein shakes? I had such debilitating nausea from them that I had to give them up (this is NOT the norm from what all I've seen people discuss). I supplement instead with greek yogurt, Isopure, skim milk and cottage cheese. It doesn't seem to be whey-related, just something in the shakes that makes me terribly nauseated.

Hope some of these things work. Good luck!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen 3 times. (I am almost 6 mos out) Twice it was from eating too fast. You don't realize you are eating too fast as you do it, but within a few minutes you suddenly feel it. The other time it was because I didn't chew my food enough before I swallowed it and it got stuck. All 3 times I ended up throwing it back up again. If you don't think it is one of these, probably talk to your NUT or the surgeon. Hope you find the answer so you are feeling better soon.
  • bonzaburns
    Options
    It can happen with the first bite of food. It's strange as it seems only seconds since it passes my mouth b4 I feel sick. I have had trouble eating slow, but not in this case. It's like I can't stomach anything, it all makes me sick. Eating slow, chewing lots. It doesn't help.

Haven't had any protein shakes, I must try them, as I'm sure I'm not getting the right stuff. I have a blood test in a couple of weeks b4 I go to the Dr & Dietician again. That will tell whether I'm not taking enough vitamins etc.

Very happy with my progress though, so not complaining about that, and I'd do it all again...lol

Thanks for your help.
  • bonzaburns
    Options
    I've done some searching on the internet, and one reason can be dehydration. I think this could be the reason for me, as I am very bad at drinking enough fluids. I was b4 surgery and still am.

I called the surgery to check on their diagnosis, they suggested gallstones, but I don't have any pain. They seemed to think that I wasn't eating enough also, and I needed to eat more and 6 times a day instead of 3. I'm taking Hydralyte for dehydration which they are in agreement with and trying to increase my fuilds. Also took Onsetron for the nausea, but this didn't seem to help.

I'll presevere and call them again for a check up in a couple of days as they suggested.