Average Daily Carbs for Long Term Keto

Options
MizTenaciousT
MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
Hey gang!

For all of you long term ketoers, what is your average daily carb intake? Are you staying at or below 20g? Do any of you go higher?

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I aim for 20g total carbs, and I mostly succeed but over the past few days have ended up at 30. I get anxious if I go above 30 as I worry that if I have made a mistake somewhere calculating amounts eaten I could really be much higher. So I think aiming for 20 is good for me as even if I've made a mistake, I'll still be OK for keto.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I will say in addition, that if you are doing keto for weight loss, I lose better the lower my carbs are. Not everyone is the same though.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've been at ten or less since beginning a challenge in another group on May 1st. I feel amazing! I had been twenty or less for a couple of months before this though. But, I'm not considered to be long term, yet. For now I'm still a newbie.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I generally just stay as low as I can. Many days I'm under 10.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I keep net under 30 and also do IF which can elevate ketones. Not doing it for weight loss though so YMMV.
  • edyn_Blair
    edyn_Blair Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i stay at about 10% carbs for long term keto, though this diet isn't great for very long term use, going partial paleo once your where you want to be will help you continue to lose or maintain weight.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I aim for 20g net, and am well under most of the time. I also do IF daily.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm not really long term yet, per se. I'm at 25-30 grams TOTAL carbs daily. Went LCHFMP 1/15, Keto 2/18. I believe that once I reach a level I want to maintain that I might bump up to 50 grams to allow more veggies, and that will likely be a NET number...
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    10% : generally this is around 50g net carbs. (usually an extra 25 in fiber each day on average).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    edyn_Blair wrote: »
    though this diet isn't great for very long term use, going partial paleo once your where you want to be will help you continue to lose or maintain weight.

That's quite subjective.

• msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    though this diet isn't great for very long term use, going partial paleo once your where you want to be will help you continue to lose or maintain weight.

That's quite subjective.

I posit that for the majority of T2 diabetics, this Way of Eating is the only viable option in the long term to avoid progression of the disease and its related complications.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    i stay at about 10% carbs for long term keto, though this diet isn't great for very long term use, going partial paleo once your where you want to be will help you continue to lose or maintain weight.

I think you underestimate how many people have this medically prescribed for life, not for a quick fix weight loss technique.

When I'm at maintenance, I'm good up to about 50, so I try to keep it between 35 and 40, with a little margin to go over before it knocks me out for the day. Since I'm in a deficit now, it's about half that. A lot of it will depend on what your maintenance weight/TDEE are.
  • Journey_258_thru
    Journey_258_thru Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto, but I'm finding that if I aim for 20g net carbs, the 25 or so that ends up happening doesn't make me feel too guilty. Haven't had a day of more than 30g net carbs. Saving that for a cheat day down the road :-)
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 18 months and I'm usually well below 20g net most days (more like 12-ish). I've found actually that the longer I've been on it the less carbs I have because I've sort of developed routines and prefered foods and they just aren't high in carbs out of habit and convenience. Because I grow fresh veggies in the summer my net carbs will probably go up a little bit because yum!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I've been been staying under 50 net carbs. I've only been doing this for 3 months, feeling good, still dropping weight. Most of my high carbs days are just poor planning.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I've been shooting for 20 or less a day, with a few days more recently going a little higher towards 30. I feel really good so far! I want to allow for more vegetables and wanted to make sure it wouldn't bump me out of ketosis. I know everyone is different though. I need to get some ketostix. I've never actually tested to see if I've entered ketosis. I just kept my carbs low <10% around 20g, and have been doing that for a few weeks. I figure I should be adapted by now!

Oh, and I'm doing this in part for weight management and in part to manage blood sugar. I have relatives with diabetes and have struggled with hypoglycemia myself, so I want to prevent diabetes if at all possible :-)
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for about 7 months. I stay under 20g net most days. However, I find that carbs are much easier to control than fat. It's harder to add fat to your day than to remove carbs.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I shoot for under 20g... sometimes I'm over, but most of the time I'm well below that.
    I find it easier for me to eat very low carb than it is for me to eat low-moderate carb.

I have been doing keto for about 7 months. I stay under 20g net most days. However, I find that carbs are much easier to control than fat. It's harder to add fat to your day than to remove carbs.

Truth.

I literally put butter on everything. :D
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I go to the supermarket and walk down an isle, I usually end up turning every product around so that the Nutritional Facts are facing outward. You can always tell which isle I have been down because everything is turned around backwards. I am always looking for that elusive perfect food item that has a ton of fat, no carbs.

Butter is as good as it gets.
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I stay under 20 g. Yesterday I was higher. But rarely that happens.