Paleo Cake

Options
Lukyanenko
Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
So, I tried posting this in the Recipe community, but got a dickish answer and no actual help.

I've been asked to bake a cake to a wedding where both the bride and the groom is Paleo, and I told them I could make a Paleo cake. Of course I have no idea what that is, so I was given a recipe that I've tried out, didn't like and contained a few ingredients that are expensive and difficult to come by.

Does anyone here have a cake recipe they like, and preferably doesn't contain 'chestnut flour'?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourite recipes for cupcakes: http://comfybelly.com/2009/04/fluffy-cupcakes/#.VU_VX_lViko

It could probably be tweaked to make a proper cake.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just responded to your post on the Recipe community and saw that dickish answer...Wow!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep trying recipes until you hit on one that works for your purposes. I know, "cake" kind of defeats the idea of paleo eating on a day-to-day basis, but weddings are special occasions. Why buy a behemoth (beautiful but useless) showpiece of a wedding cake, if you (or someone important to you among the guests) won't be able to eat it? Such a waste.

For example, this recipe:
    http://autoimmune-paleo.com/raspberry-valentine-cake/

The author says:
    My family have been crying out for cakes so I’ve been experimenting with gelatin as a binder instead of eggs and, believe me, not only were my husband and children delighted with this tasty offering but my daughter’s non-AIP friend happily tucked in too. Praise indeed.

I haven't tried this recipe, but have had success with others on her website.

I, for one, appreciate the idea of going to a wedding and being able to eat the cake, not just look at it!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Another nice idea: paleo-ized homemade "truffles" or marzipan candies add a touch of luxury, instead or in addition to the usual mints. Soaked, roasted and spiced nuts, for another accent.

Here's a whole list of cake and other dessert recipes:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/category/recipes/paleo-baked-goods/cakes-and-cupcakes
  • homesweeths
    edited May 2015
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm pro paleo all the way and I'm no paleo basher.

But I don't understand making faux paleoized comfort foods like fake cake, fake macaroni and cheese, fake fried rice, etc.

Is the married couple inflicting this fake cake on all the guests or are you just baking it for them and the guests get to have real cake that tastes good?

ETA: Honey is sugar so I don't understand why it can't be granulated sugar from sugar cane, but, to each his own.
    Maple, honey, agave, molasses = sugar.
    I beg to differ with you on the "tasting good" part. I have had *some* good-tasting cake at weddings (usually a variation on lemon), but... usually the wedding cake tastes mass-produced, somehow, and the frosting. Ugh. Basically tastes like Crisco and sugar, whipped together.

When I got married, awhile back (not long after Noah got off the ark, it feels like), my sister baked my wedding cake. We weren't gluten free at the time, but she made us a lovely spice cake (very traditional, actually, in my husband's culture) with buttercream frosting that had real maple syrup in it for flavor. That suited *our* taste, and our guests didn't complain. The cake was gone by the end of the reception.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I recently uploaded a paleo brownie recipe and it could be used for a cake since it's so moist and soft. I would probably double the honey if using it for a wedding cake, people tend to like sweet. I'd also use chocolate. Definitely no matter what cake recipe you pick bake a small batch and then have everyone try it so you're on the same page.

http://www.faylinameir.com/gluten-free-paleo-brownies/
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My Paleo Patessierie has great Paleo cake! Her blog, The Urban Poser, would likely have some great things.
  • Lukyanenko
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Hello! I just responded to your post on the Recipe community and saw that dickish answer...Wow!

I saw your reply today and thank you!

• Lukyanenko
    Options

But I don't understand making faux paleoized comfort foods like fake cake, fake macaroni and cheese, fake fried rice, etc.

Is the married couple inflicting this fake cake on all the guests or are you just baking it for them and the guests get to have real cake that tastes good?

ETA: Honey is sugar so I don't understand why it can't be granulated sugar from sugar cane, but, to each his own.

I have to confess that I don't get this paleo thing at all, but as you said to each their own. They have several people to make cakes, but when the bride told me that they would skip cake since they hadn't found someone willing/able to make something they could eat then I told them I would do it if they pointed me in the right direction. They usually don't go for the comfort foods, so I think they're kind of as lost as I am when it comes to that part of paleo.

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    Another nice idea: paleo-ized homemade "truffles" or marzipan candies add a touch of luxury, instead or in addition to the usual mints. Soaked, roasted and spiced nuts, for another accent.

Here's a whole list of cake and other dessert recipes:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/category/recipes/paleo-baked-goods/cakes-and-cupcakes

That is a great idea!

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    You guys are awesome!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    holy crap I just looked up your thread and people are such *kitten* on here. I admit I used to be a real dick sometimes about paleo but not to that extent. I also love the guy that links that ted talk... have you watched that ted talk the lady is very blabbery and strange. I first saw that as a vegan and still wasn't convinced by her.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Hah, I almost never follow links posted by anti-paleo people. I pretty much know what they're going to say, and by personal experience? ...Paleo works for me.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I usually avoid the main forum, myself, but I got into the paleo cake discussion, because as the parent of a celiac kid, I know that a little truth can go a long way to helping someone like my loved one.
  • Lukyanenko
    Options
    holy crap I just looked up your thread and people are such *kitten* on here. I admit I used to be a real dick sometimes about paleo but not to that extent. I also love the guy that links that ted talk... have you watched that ted talk the lady is very blabbery and strange. I first saw that as a vegan and still wasn't convinced by her.

But the thing about that video, and I've watched it before, is that she isn't saying that it's a bad *diet*, she's just saying that this really isn't a historically accurate diet.

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    I usually avoid the main forum, myself, but I got into the paleo cake discussion, because as the parent of a celiac kid, I know that a little truth can go a long way to helping someone like my loved one.

Yeah, and I didn't think I should have to mention in the post that the groom is celiac, just that you know what they wanted and that I was lost in how to provide it.

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Almost every Paleo cookbook I own is half full of Paleo substitutes for baked goods. For the last 2 years I've made my child Paleo birthday cakes and they both were absolutely delicious. One was a carrot cake and the second one was chocolate. The guests also loved the cakes. Google "Paleo cakes" and I'm sure you'd find loads of recipes.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I beg to differ with you on the "tasting good" part. I have had *some* good-tasting cake at weddings (usually a variation on lemon), but... usually the wedding cake tastes mass-produced, somehow, and the frosting. Ugh. Basically tastes like Crisco and sugar, whipped together.

When I got married, awhile back (not long after Noah got off the ark, it feels like), my sister baked my wedding cake. We weren't gluten free at the time, but she made us a lovely spice cake (very traditional, actually, in my husband's culture) with buttercream frosting that had real maple syrup in it for flavor. That suited *our* taste, and our guests didn't complain. The cake was gone by the end of the reception.

That's because it is made with Crisco and sugar. Literally. I come from a family of bakers and that was one of the "quick and cheap" frosting recipes. Buttercream is better, though still is partially Crisco unfortunately. A good cream cheese frosting, though? Awesome. And no Crisco, either.
    the wedding cake tastes mass-produced, somehow, and the frosting. Ugh. Basically tastes like Crisco and sugar, whipped together.

I love the taste of mass produced monstrosities laden with Crisco and sugar. I do, however, envy anyone who sincerely likes the taste fake cake and finds it satisfying. Shucks. If I did, I wouldn't have eaten my way up to a size 24 for sure :)

You've been deprived of a good cake with a good cream cheese frosting, then (not necessarily Paleo cakes, here). The other stuff pales in comparison.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Paleo cakes are SO delicious that they are even more of a problem for me than the chemical sh*tstorm ones. Why I stopped with Paleo substitutes early on. Better than the "real" thing.