Taking Care of Ourselves

Options
chwomack53
chwomack53 Posts: 93 Member
Greetings All,

Spoke with a friend of mine today, who 4 weeks ago had quad-ripple by-pass surgery. A couple days ago his wife was diagnosed with a blockage and is scheduled in the hospital this coming Wednesday. He told me "it's our own fault" referring to their diet. Fast food became the norm after all the kids were gone, and just like me eating southern (if it ain't fried it ain't cooked) was the favorite.

One thing that has started to settle in with me, is how Nutrisystem has us eating in a much healthier way. I have read some articles from other sources that has caused me to take notice in my general health and well being. I see some things returning that were gone, especially the amount of energy I have regained. It wasn't my mind that did not want to do things I once enjoyed, it was my body saying nope, lets find the easy chair instead.

We need to learn all the lessons from this experience. Even if you don't lose a pound, eating healthier and living a healthier lifestyle is a lesson all of us need to take notice of. My goal is to stay out of the hospital. After going over my clean medical history this week, my Dr laughingly said you need to get something wrong with you so I have something to do. I think I will try to leave him idle.

If you are having trouble losing, just take a good look at everything else and see how much healthier you are. It should make you really happy!

Replies

• SuziBoston
    SuziBoston Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Nice Post! Thanx for sharing Charlie!! ;)
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Nice reminder of why we are on this journey! Many prayers for your friends!
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Thanks Charlie! That's a big motivation for me...to prevent health issues. My parents were in the 300s (pounds); dad died at 44 n mom at 62 (after yrs if health issues). Glad I chose to do something and focus on my health. Already learned so much! And still have much to learn.
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Charlie. So true. I am finally on track. :)
  • Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for painting the big picture!!!
  • SuziBoston
    SuziBoston Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I read it everyday Charlie!!! Thank You!
  • Libbyjh1967
    Libbyjh1967 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great post. I have been struggling with losing but I do need to remember how much healthier I am eating and the daily walks I make myself do!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Some people are skinny but unhealthy because they may skim on calories but don't get the right kind of nutrients. I'm a slow loser and because of my age, that is fine. Skin doesn't shrink too easily with increasing age. What is important to me are those numbers generated on tests and that they show improvement, and there has been a dramatic improvement with eating NS style. I flex but I know what foods are good for me and if I should break over and have something "off plan," I know to limit the amount and how often.