Getting real about nutrition

Options
ghhrfy
ghhrfy Posts: 12 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the group and just wanted to say hello! I've been running for about ten years and recently posted a marathon PR of 2:59 in Philly and a half marathon PR of 1:25 in Portland. I joined MFP because I am having a really hard time with nutrition. When I'm hungry, I tend to justify eating whatever I want because of all the calories I burn from running- particularly a lot of takeout and sweets. But then as a result, I get really frustrated with the way I look and feel. I hit sort of a breaking point last month when my running clothes weren't fitting properly and I wasn't hitting my target goals in yet another workout. I feel like I'm in need of some kind of judgment-free accountability because I can't do it on my own. I've tried with friends, but we just end up enabling each other. So beginning today I'm going to log everything I eat, for all eyes to see. I figure if it's out there, that ought to have some kind of impact on what I consume. Is this something any of you can relate to? Thanks!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Not hitting your goal paces in workouts is probably more of a sign of fatigue than nutrition, especially if you are in the 3:00 range for marathons.

Your Philly time caught my eye as that is home to me, and I have run that race 4 times now (PR at 3:28 though)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Those are some really amazing PRs!

I can totally relate to the nutrition struggles. Though I keep within my calories most of the time, I eat like total crap, partially because I live in a dorm on a university campus, so I'm sort of at the whim of the dining hall half the time and partially because I'm too lazy to eat real food when I can eat a poptart instead. Once I move into my apartment in June, I want to really change up what I'm eating and eat more fresh foods/fruits/veggies. Feel free to add me! Maybe I can take some inspriation from your log before I revamp my diet :)
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i can relate, my diet was horrible. it's a little better now. i do allow a cheat meal a day.
  • ghhrfy
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Not hitting your goal paces in workouts is probably more of a sign of fatigue than nutrition, especially if you are in the 3:00 range for marathons.

Your Philly time caught my eye as that is home to me, and I have run that race 4 times now (PR at 3:28 though)
    You're right, not hitting my goals could definitely have been caused by fatigue or something else, though at the time I couldn't help but think about how what I had been eating wasn't making me feel very good. It could have been a mental thing. Loved running Philly, it was my first time. Such a great course.
  • ghhrfy
    Options

I can totally relate to the nutrition struggles. Though I keep within my calories most of the time, I eat like total crap, partially because I live in a dorm on a university campus, so I'm sort of at the whim of the dining hall half the time and partially because I'm too lazy to eat real food when I can eat a poptart instead. Once I move into my apartment in June, I want to really change up what I'm eating and eat more fresh foods/fruits/veggies. Feel free to add me! Maybe I can take some inspriation from your log before I revamp my diet :)

Thank you! Ahh gotta love/hate the campus dining hall. I'd so much rather eat waffles than visit the salad bar. It's never too early to start making those changes though. I hope my log can be an inspiration- thanks for the extra motivation and good luck with the move/revamp!

• ghhrfy
    Options
    i can relate, my diet was horrible. it's a little better now. i do allow a cheat meal a day.
    I'm glad to hear that! I think it's good to allow yourself some wiggle room.. it's more sustainable. I think Kara Goucher said something along the lines of, if she eats really well throughout the day, she'll allow herself to have that cookie (or chocolate, or whatever).
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ghhrfy wrote: »

Thank you! Ahh gotta love/hate the campus dining hall. I'd so much rather eat waffles than visit the salad bar. It's never too early to start making those changes though. I hope my log can be an inspiration- thanks for the extra motivation and good luck with the move/revamp!

I actually eat better in the dining hall when I'm on main campus. But the dining hall in the graduate dorms where I live is atrocious; so it's usually salads/chicken for lunch in an undergrad hall and then dorm room awfulness for dinner. But once I have my own kitchen... real food instead of ramen will be a must!
  • ghhrfy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I actually eat better in the dining hall when I'm on main campus. But the dining hall in the graduate dorms where I live is atrocious; so it's usually salads/chicken for lunch in an undergrad hall and then dorm room awfulness for dinner. But once I have my own kitchen... real food instead of ramen will be a must!

Ohh, got it. It must be so hard not to have your own kitchen. What a welcome change that will be!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Even a couple of excess pounds can definitely become a problem when you are racing at that level. Welcome to the group :) When is your next race?
  • ghhrfy
    Options
    Even a couple of excess pounds can definitely become a problem when you are racing at that level. Welcome to the group :) When is your next race?

Thank you! Yeah, it definitely makes a difference. Next race is a 5K on the track June 14th, Portland Track Festival. Hoping to join the sub-18 club!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    UGH. 5000m track race. Round and round and round, fully exposed to the world. No better way to run a fast 5K time, but man is it boring and everyone can see when you I start falter. :D Best wishes for the race. What type of workouts are you doing to prepare? Any specific 5K training or are you just working off your base mileage?
  • ghhrfy
    Options
    Hahaha, yes the track will give you the cold, hard truth! I would argue that 5K-10K on the track is the most exciting kind of race to watch. The suspense! The drama! I'm building off my fitness this spring after running the Eugene Half last weekend (1:25:44, 20 seconds off my PR). I'm taking this week easy, then doing 5K-specific training leading up to the race.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you at Portland. I agree that watching a 5k/10k on the track is exciting. Well actually I love watching all track events (4x400m being my favorite to watch). My background is middle distance (800m/1500m) and I always admire the mental strength it takes to race a 5K/10K on the track!

The nutrition part it tough. I joined MFP last August because I was tired of not being able to run like I used to before kids. Actually seeing the calories and nutrient content of food consumption has been huge for me. Now 8 months later I am lighter and stronger than I have been since college and my running times are back to pre-kids and improving. I don't eat perfect. I eat chocolate pretty much every day! However I make it it is the good kind. ;) No need to waste calories on sup-par food/treats!
  • ghhrfy
    Options
    Thank you! Hearing that MFP has made a difference for you is really encouraging. Congrats for getting back to your pre-kids running time, and what a great example you're setting as a momma. :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I probably haven't been eating enough lately. My recoveries suffered. So as a result, in the last couple of weeks I have been concentrating on getting my calories back up up actually. Making sure that throughout the day I am having protein along with a some carbs. I make sure that after I get done with my morning run I add some protein powder to my milk.

I also make sure I take an extra rest day if I feel I need it, and making sure my easy days are really easy, not just a little slower. It's made a big difference this week. And I feel now on the days I plan to have a major workout, I am better prepared for it.
  • ghhrfy
    Options
    That's great, stoshew! I bet not only getting enough calories, but getting enough quality food makes a huge difference. It can always be a tricky balance to try and stay lean while making sure you're getting the energy you need (at least for me).