Hungry days and not so hungry days

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
Do other people find they have these? Yesterday I had very little appetite and ate two small meals, was 500 cals under (1300 eaten - had some exercise ones too) and went to bed happy and fine. Today, I've had 1500 cals and feel STARVING all the time and about to go to bed rather unsatisfied. Really want to eat but don't want to ruin things. For reference today was 65 fat, 17 carb and 17 protein.

Replies

• SlimBride2Be
    Options
    Yesterday was 66 fat 27 protein 7 carbs. Hmm.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I do have days just like this. On low hunger days, I just eat less. But on hungry days, I eat what I need to feel satiated. It works for me. I like that I can listen to my body. My calories end up averaging out overall, and I would just sabotage myself if I let myself feel like I was hungry and not getting enough food. That's what I did for years before, then I'd break and eat anything at hand. Usually sugar. Not good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that my body naturally finds balance in a weekly or bi-weekly deficit. I eat when hungry, don't when I'm not. Some days I would be under similar to what you listed above (1300-1400 calories on 1750 cal + exercise plan) and some days I'd be around 2500 calories. Since I was learning to hear my body's signals again, I didn't worry and figured it would work out. When I got my weekly report (Fitbit), it showed that my weekly deficit was still the same as a calorie restricted diet, and that I was full and satisfied doing that, so I say, follow the hunger. If it is true, it will level out!
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    Oddly today is a not hungry day! Had a substantial breakfast of avocado, smoked salmon and bacon bits and have felt no interest in lunch and it's now 3pm! Isn't it odd?! One thing I've noticed is it's very warm today and I know that decreases my appetite. Yesterday was quite cold. So confusing!
  • aholt7286
    aholt7286 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have up and down days too. Yesterday I had my normal breakfast of eggs and some cheese. Not hungry at all for lunch, and not just not hungry (because I'm rarely hungry for lunch)....but I felt really really full!! Like I had just eaten a massive Thanksgiving dinner. Ate a spinach salad for dinner and still went to be feeling full. Woke up today and was ravenous!!! Had eggs and avocado for breakfast and now I'm ticking down the time until lunch.....most days are not this extreme of swings....but occasionally, yeah.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I will have a hungry day around the time of hormone shift. Just for a day then it's better. I drink lots of water on those days!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have those too! My hungry days tend to be on a monthly schedule or when I'm really tired. I can and usually end up eating the world! However, other days, I have no interest in food and usually end up forcing myself to eat more than I want. (Otherwise I'd be at 500 cal for the day.) I'm not ready to trust my body completely, so that's why I still count, but I want to get there one day.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Many people just pay attention to their overall weekly deficit, instead of a daily deficit. For example if you are allotted 2,000 calories X 7 days a week= 14,000 calories weekly, they would just try to hit that 14,000 weekly number instead of focusing on the daily number. That way you could eat more on days you feel more hungry, and less on days you don't, but end up at the same overall calories weekly and lose the same amount of weight. Maybe that would work better for you.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I find I wake up hungry and stay hungry the day after working out. So maybe that's a factor. Other days I'm just not interested in food and end up hardly eating. I just listen to my body and give it what it needs.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep I definitely have this. This morning I had planned to reheat the other half of my salmon from last night (which, like every meal I've had this week, I couldn't finish) but only had two spoonfuls of egg salad with my coffee instead. Lately I seem to be in a low-intake mode, with my calories being muuuuch lower than my previous 'usual' of being over. I'm hoping this means I've finally stopped eating like I was starving, and that from here on out I'll be in tune with what my body needs.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's common to have up and down days. Don't look at the day-to-day. Instead, look at the average over 7-14 days. One day (or even two) of going over, when the rest of the days are under isn't going to ruin anything. In fact, forcing yourself to not eat on hungry days may actually do more to hinder your progress (on multiple fronts) than just eating the more amount.