Goal Weight Question

Options
2»

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My goal [original] weight would be 30% off from my heaviest and about 20% off from my weight when I started low-carb. It was set as the lowest weight I was able to hit doing calorie restriction. It may have represented a BMI of 28, but I didn't care. I had started with a BMI over 39 (~35 when I started low carb). I figured that would be a good improvement to aim for.

At this point, anything below that number is fine for me. I'm happy where I am at. It's around a 26.7 today. I would like to get down under 25, just to say it happened. But, that's not something important enough, to me, that I'm willing to change anything to work towards it.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I felt good 11 stone and 20 years ago...that's about 154lbs which is still an overweight BMI for 5‘4" or 163cm, but it's still a long way off! I would be thrilled to be 11 stone. Am in awe of folk my height who make it down to 130lbs or less, but everyone's different!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I meant when I was 11 stone, not when I was 11 stone lighter!
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Mami1976D... I'm right there with you. I started off chubby in grade school and then puberty put the weight in all the right lady places, but I still always felt fat because I had curvy thighs & my friends were not shaped the same way. It's hard to be developed and almost a D cup in 8th grade...which brings me to my next point.

@spunkyabroad... one of your pictures jokes about breasts and weight loss. Since you've done such a fantastic job on losing your weight, did it have a big negative effect on the girls? I may be fat, but I've never complained about my chest, I've always been "blessed" even when thinner...I realize that they may get smaller, but man, I'm afraid that their mass will change and I'll be left with deflated balloons :(
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    My goal [original] weight would be 30% off from my heaviest and about 20% off from my weight when I started low-carb. It was set as the lowest weight I was able to hit doing calorie restriction. It may have represented a BMI of 28, but I didn't care. I had started with a BMI over 39 (~35 when I started low carb). I figured that would be a good improvement to aim for.

At this point, anything below that number is fine for me. I'm happy where I am at. It's around a 26.7 today. I would like to get down under 25, just to say it happened. But, that's not something important enough, to me, that I'm willing to change anything to work towards it.

You lost 34 kgs! That's awesome. I'm right behind you at 32 kgs. :)

Congrats on the progress and I think it's great that you're happy where you're at. That's my ultimate goal, really. And I'm not there yet. But I'm not giving up.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I haven't set a goal. I don't know where I will end up. Anything is better then where I was. I just know I had to make a change. I celebrate every pound lost. :wink:
  • spunkyabroad
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I haven't set a goal. I don't know where I will end up. Anything is better then where I was. I just know I had to make a change. I celebrate every pound lost. :wink:

That's an awesome attitude! Thanks for sharing.

• spunkyabroad
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    @Mami1976D... I'm right there with you. I started off chubby in grade school and then puberty put the weight in all the right lady places, but I still always felt fat because I had curvy thighs & my friends were not shaped the same way. It's hard to be developed and almost a D cup in 8th grade...which brings me to my next point.

@spunkyabroad... one of your pictures jokes about breasts and weight loss. Since you've done such a fantastic job on losing your weight, did it have a big negative effect on the girls? I may be fat, but I've never complained about my chest, I've always been "blessed" even when thinner...I realize that they may get smaller, but man, I'm afraid that their mass will change and I'll be left with deflated balloons :(

I was never overweight as a kid even though I always thought I was. Lol youth.

The ladies are a shell of their former glory I'm sad to say. No ragrets!

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

You lost 34 kgs! That's awesome. I'm right behind you at 32 kgs. :)

Congrats on the progress and I think it's great that you're happy where you're at. That's my ultimate goal, really. And I'm not there yet. But I'm not giving up.

Thanks. You are right behind me. :smiley:

I'll tell you one thing. If you asked me to walk around with a 34 kg (75 pound) suit on all day every day, I wouldn't be able to do it. I have no idea how I managed to carry that weight around and not notice how heavy I was. Life's a lot better with the weight off, even if your body isn't perfectly how you want it right now. Never stop celebrating the progress and gains you've made.

I know I can still lose some more. I see areas where some chub can come off. But, I am convinced that my body will do the remainder of the job on its own time. It might take a long time (seems like my body is content with dealing with half a kilo--about a pound--a month, sometimes less, right now), but I'd be happy this way for the rest of my life. Every kg from here is just extra.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I had my wrist and elbow measuments done by a nurse who determined me to have a large frame and reccomended 52kg (115lbs) at 149cm (4'11") to be a good weight to aim for.

I was this height and 59kg at age 14 and was a little chubby but the boys seemed keen! 52kg sounds good to me.

health.bizcalcs.com said 54-61kg for me. I would be happy at that weight if I was muscular.

Are you my sister from another Mister! ^^ is exactly me. I remember being 60kg at 14 and hating being the shortest and heaviest in my class. I want to get down to that weight again though the recommended is about 52kg like you said. Hubby is way fonder of my hips and bum than I am ;)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Weight. Like many, I have never been a healthy weight as an adult, so I have no previous guidelines. In addition, I had precocious puberty and was my adult height of 5'7" a weight of around 150 wearing a size twelve, and in a C cup at 10 years old. Starting puberty so early made my growth plates fuse too early, so I have an average but athletic frame, but with all the muscle mass of a person 6 or 8 inches taller, which is genetically where I was headed. I am DENSE even when I was significantly heavier than I am now and so the scales have always been a less desirable tool than say, a tape measure.

I have developed significantly more muscle as an adult, so I suspect 145 would look completely different now. I am aiming for 160, which is half my body weight lost, and will reevaluate from there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Agree with the rest. When I was 24, literally 9 months pregnant, checking into the hospital to have my daughter, I weighed exactly 200 pounds. I got below that slightly a couple years after she was born, doing Atkins, Slimfast, and Weight Watchers sort of one after I gave up on the other.

In high school, I was a size 8. When I got pregnant with my daughter, I was a size 16/18.

Okay, off topic question - but how is it that BMI numbers never take into account boob size? I mean this seriously. I did a weird displacement thing once and discovered that my breasts are close to the size of a human head and weight around 10 pounds each. So does this mean if I get within 20 pounds of those random @$$ BMI numbers, I can say I'm at goal, because I can subtract the value of my chest? (And at having lost 70-some odd pounds AND having breastfed for over a year, I find that I have what the industry calls shallow breasts, where the weight of them settles out in a bra, making me miserably difficult to fit!!)

So, I really don't have a goal weight. I am 38, 5'4" tall (162.56 cm per my medical chart). My heaviest weight was recorded at 319, though I actually looked heavier at 280, due to horrible swelling and inflammation (the long story there - but my profile picture comparison thing is really only a 30 pound difference or so. It's scary!). I'm currently down to 245 and change...

I have loose goals of:
    239 pounds - moves me out of the Morbidly Obese category
    199 pounds - because ONE-derland
    175-180 pounds - because it seems reasonable
    Final goal, TBD as I go along... I want to be able to shop in the women's section. Period. If that is at 195, then awesome. if that is 160, but I look healthy and maintain my beloved curves, that works too...

140 is the upper range of a "healthy BMI," which I don't even care about because my goal is to be more muscular. As long as I feel good, I have full healthy blood work results, and I maintain my womanly curves, that number on the scale is arbitrary anyway, so I'm just rolling with reevaluating as I go...because I have no perspective on a realistic adult weight for having been through childbirth and all that... Having no point of reference forces all goals to be fluid, since "official" goal crap is arbitrary anyway.

Did you realize almost all competitive body builders would get the BMI warning simply due to weight and ratios? I think a LBM goal system would be more appropriate. A true, measured body fat number...
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used to be very fit and lean, lifted weights, could do any activity i wanted for a very long time. I know from my old records (yes, I kept them!) that at my lowest BF% I weighed 155 pounds at 5' 9". I decided, randomly I suppose, to add 5% for increased age, etc., so my goal is 163. I also have a couple of photos from when I was that weight and I look pretty healthy.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I laughed at the boob thing. If I got to my goal weight and my boobs stayed as relatively large as they are now (32G at a size UK 12-14, BMI 27ish) I would be the shape of a cartoon - skin and bones with huge boobs. I'll see when I get there - 20lbs to go I guess - but I may settle for a slightly higher weight if it looks good on me. I'm prepared to settle with the high end of the BMI range for my height - got almost there a couple of years back and looked great - people were telling me not to lose any more.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    BMI vs self-rated attractiveness:

frederick_peplau_lever_2006-pdf-pdf__page_5_of_7_.jpg
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting. Women are so down on themselves...
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    YEah..BMI is kind of bull. weight lifters are considered obese according to BMI... aim for the muscle *:)