Tune up meet

Options
jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
i just had a meet in March, qualified for GPC Worlds in Las Vegas this September. so.... now with what was 4 days of prep notice, im entering SPF Nationals on May 16th.... yeah yeah.... gonna be interesting none the less. definitely not peaked for this, but i also didnt peak for March. just kinda trained in my normal reps/sets and ended up setting PRs in all 3 lifts and total. since the meet i have been working more on my hip strength and mobility, along with shoulder mobility. been benching 3 days a week since my bench sucks, and slowly brought my squat stance out wider and bar a little lower on my traps. ive always been a very high bar and mid stance squatter and it got me 625 very easily at my last meet. now with the wider stance the same weights as before are moving a lot faster and considerably easier. i have goals for Vegas, and this is what im using this meet for. i dont care if i win my class or not, i want to see where i stand against my Vegas numbers of 700/400/650 and see where i need the most work. as fast as squats were going Tuesday, i think i have a very real shot at 700 if not more. bench has definitely gone up with the volume ive been working it. as for deads, i dont train them but maybe every couple weeks and i never pull them above 80-85% since the bars at my gym suck. my grip is good for 650+ with ease, my sticking point has been lockout(hip strength). ive been hitting them very hard and definitely tell a difference with bar speed with my usual weights. also focused hard on my posterior chain and core strength. as for this meet next weekend, the plan is to open at 640/360/585, seconds are hopefully going to be 700/390/620(1710 total and National Record) that way if i hit 700 i can go higher, or gives me a second shot at it. either way i will post back results soon after.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,222 Member
    Options
    Mind-boggling numbers for a guy who basically is just "rolling out of bed and going to a meet". You rock, bro.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    not quite just rolling out of the bed, lol... i still train like im working towards a meet every day. i work up to a daily training max, then do back off sets at 80-90% depends on the specifics of the day. i feel like this keeps my body better prepared and way less sore. if i do a deload then try to work back up, it takes forever to get back to where i was. the wraps im gonna use this time will also play a factor. im good for 585, belt, no wraps... so adding what my buddy gets from the same wraps would put me at about 735, but wraps work a little different for everyone. we will find out in a week.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Knee wraps add about 75# for my squat, adding 150 is quite a bit. My deadlift isn't heavy enough for knee wraps to make a difference yet, though I do wear a belt.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    And I thought I was the crazy one! Good luck next weekend!
  • jlclabo
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Knee wraps add about 75# for my squat, adding 150 is quite a bit. My deadlift isn't heavy enough for knee wraps to make a difference yet, though I do wear a belt.

the brand/type of knee wrap makes a huge difference. i get about 100# out of my Inzer grippers with a decent, not cranked wrap. ill be using Overkill wraps this meet. supposed to be a ton of rebound out of the hole, and these will most definitely be cranked tight..... on a side note, i did 585 for a smooth and fast NO wrap single yesterday, then did unracks with 725 belted and beltless to feel the weight on my back... and yes, it is crazy *kitten* heavy!!!!!!! lmao!!

• jlclabo
    Options
    And I thought I was the crazy one! Good luck next weekend!

we are all crazy or we wouldnt be doing this!!! Thanks!!

• nossmf
    Options
    jlclabo wrote: »
    ...then did unracks with 725 belted and beltless to feel the weight on my back... and yes, it is crazy *kitten* heavy!!!!!!! lmao!!

It's interesting to see which words are filtered on this site and which aren't, but I digress. A few weeks back I loaded up 500 on the bar and just stood there with it on my shoulders, felt like I was a nail being driven into the ground beneath the bar! (My PR is 475; my best non-wrap, non-belt I've attempted so far is only 405.)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Oh, the filter DID catch the word, on the final post... but when I clicked "quote" it showed the original to me until I clicked post. Interesting...
  • jlclabo
    Options
    lol... yeah, the word filter on here is very inconsistent at best.