Vitamin deficiency landed me in the hospital need vitamin suggestions

Options

I'm 13 years post as of this week! cannot believe that. In a few years I'll be at a point where I've lived more lives post-Op than pre. It already feels that way in some ways as years 0-`16 are quite different than years 16-29.

I have been slacking on my vitamins. literally not taking a single vitamin for 3 months and then I was only taking a liquid multi vitamin. I was losing weight again and feeling good and then suddenly i felt horrible. April 20th was the last day I had the strength to make it to the gym. Now, mind you I'm a construction engineer and have to go in the field 1-3 days for work but anything else was too much.

I ended up needing an emergency blood transfusion this weekend because my iron/hemoglobin was 6.2. I don't ever want to be in that position again. So I'm trying to get back to taking my vitamins.

Iron - Floridex (trial- I cannot stomach Iron pills to save my life)

Vitamin B - sublinginual B-complex

Calcium and D - just ordered bariatric advantage - but if anyone has any suggestions of other brands

Still looking for

Vit A, Zinc, and folate - think I could get that from just a liquid multivitamin? I used to take liquid centrum back in the day but I think it got discontinued?

I'm seeing a hematologist but so far I cant find anyone who takes my insurance who has a real expertise working with WLS patients.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hello there, you look great dear. Sorry to hear you have been having some issues. Hopefully getting back on track with your vitamins will help you. I still take my vitimins and get an annual blood test too. Sometimes I get the blood work done with my WLS surgeon's office and sometimes my PCP and then I have them faxed to my WLS office for their take. Hang in there friend. Thanks for reaching out too! and keep up the good work!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you want the multi-vitamin to be liquid? Capsules potentially have the most "stuff" in them because there are certain vitamins and minerals that just can't be put in a liquid or a chewable or a gummy.

This is what I take every day:

Celebrate Bariatric Multi (has no iron) or Centrum Silver (or the store brand version, also has no iron)
    VitaLady Tender Iron (it's carbonyl which is much easier to digest and better absorbed than the ferrous salts you get in the grocery)
    Citrical (or the store brand version) Calcium with vitamin D

I also take 250 mg of magnesium and 300 mg of CoEnzymeQ10 but not because I've had bariatric surgery.

Then once a week, I take another 50,000 IU of Vitamin D3. You can take Vitamin D like that because it's a fat soluble vitamin and you won't pee out the extra.

With this regime, I have Vitamin D levels at the top of the range and my B12 is slightly over the range (which is okay, the official ranges are kind of low). My DEXA scans are decent. All my other lab levels are normal.
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @MacMadame The doctors at the emergency albeit not experts said that they reccemmend liquid or gummy because I won't absorb capsules as well. I've notice in my prescription medicine as well that gels or liquids prove more effective than pills.

@IsMollyReallyHungry Thanks so much! trying to get back into a routine

I can already tell a positive difference from the Floradix been feeling less tired.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Capsules actually dissolve pretty well. It's the hard pills that sometimes don't at all. When I say capsules, I mean the thin gel things that get filled up with liquid or powder. It looks like a pill but you can squish it.

Celebrate has capsule versions of their multivitamins and my labs improved when I switched to them.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum Complete Chewable Vitamins. I take 2 each day. Now they also make a Centrum Complete Gummy Vitamin. I haven't tried them as I don't do gummy things but may be worth a try.

I tried Celebrate chewable vitamins and calcium but they are too sweet and upset my stomach to the point of vomiting.

I also take the sublingual Vitamin B12, chewable iron (2 a day as well) and Calcium with Vitamin D in addition to the multivitamins. And I have prescription potassium and Vitamin D I take as well (both levels were low after surgery but remain good as long as I take both of these as prescribed).