Best approach to find true TDEE - Scooby calc or Fitbit calorie burn averages?

Options
KatiAuchinleck
KatiAuchinleck Posts: 101 Member
I think I've finally read enough posts and stickies to understand the concept fairly well. My concern comes with numbers to trust for an accurate TDEE to figure out the 15% cut. Is Scooby accurate enough? Or would it be better to average my fitbit progress reports - though I've only had it for four weeks?

I would appreciate any guidance that anyone has to offer. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I believe Fitbit average gives you the best guess (you have to manually enter non step based workouts).

ETA: I'd start with Fitbit numbers and see what changes come with it. Then you'll adjust to true TDEE.
  • KatiAuchinleck
    Options
    I had been entering my non step based workouts on MFP and syncing. Better to enter on Fitbit??
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Fitbit follows you around all day measuring your actual activity - those numbers are going to be than a website estimate. They are still an estimate and you might have to tweak things a little if you lose weight more quickly/slowly than you want - but they are the (much) better guess of the two. If you go onto the fitbit site one of their graphs tells you what your average calorie burn for the last 30 days was - I would use that number if you're pretty consistent with your exercise.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I use the weekly reports from Fitbit, I am short and older so don't trust a generic calculator as much as I do a device that is monitoring me.

You can enter activity on either one but most feel Fitbit database data is more accurate than MFPs. I find it is just easier to track all food on MFP and all activity on Fitbit. Just don't enter on both. I believe someone, probably heybales mentioning that MFP entries will over write Fitbit data for activities.
  • KatiAuchinleck
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info. I'll try to master this over the next few days!