Diet Break

Options
I am curious about diet breaks -- when do you all take them? How often? I decided to do one as I am about 6 weeks into my deficit and working on things is that too soon? I am actually up a pound which would signify that I must have calculated my TDEE wrong. Can you guys help me out? Here are my stats --

Weight as of this morning 169.2
5'7"
Workout routine -- ChaLEAN Extreme lifting workouts 3 x's a week (home dvd's lifting with dumbbells) and PiYo on the other days so I guess I would say I average about 45 min per workout 5-6 days each week.
I am a SAHM with 4 kids and I work to keep my NEAT up so I think for the most part I am relatively active during the day when I am not exercising.

I ran the numbers with Scooby and it came back as 2599 for my TDEE but apparently, that isn't right :# since I am up a pound.

Any thoughts/input/suggestions?

Replies

• MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I messaged you on your page :D I haven't tried a diet break yet. When I started EM2WL, I went up to TDEE then stayed there a bit and just started a cut. When I was super active I was eating roughly 2850 at my TDEE and my states are 5'7" 145-150 most active level. Keep us updated! I think it's good to take a break, but eating at TDEE is definitely a little scary.
  • Balance_Moderation
    Balance_Moderation Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I will girl. You guys posted some great stuff on my page. I had a momentary freak out, but I am feeling better now!! Thanks again, Manda! I really appreciate it!!
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    I have freak outs too! I think it's part of this whole deal but as long as we can reel our freak outs in and make sense of why we are freaking out, we'll be even one step closer to figuring it all out.
  • Balance_Moderation
    Balance_Moderation Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally agree! Very much so!!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have had freak outs too. Just breathe :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Up 1 lb in 6 weeks then?

While eating at what you thought was a deficit?

1 lb x 3500 / 6 wks / 7 days = 83 calories eaten over maintenance daily if you think it was fat.

Which that is slow enough, it could be - if it was a slow steady gain of 1 lb.

If both weigh-ins were on valid days - otherwise that is normal water weight fluctuation.

I am showing for that level of activity probably a BMR activity factor of 1.83. Maybe a tad less if that is truly weight lifting and not circuit style lifting.

So did you pick the highest activity level?
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    No, she was up 1lb in 1 week-not in six weeks. She had been eating at defecit for 6 weeks. She changed to TDEE for one week and then gained a pound
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, topped off glucose stores with attached water in the muscles then.

First big water weight lost when you start a diet too. First big water weight gained when you go to maintenance.

Good news, LBM increased 1 lb, metabolism slightly increased.
    Nothing to write home about though, but still, better than nothing.