How to overcome the urge

Options
Anadora92
Anadora92 Posts: 7 Member
I've never really known how to open up about my relationship with food, to the point where it pretty much runs my life, I'm trying to get the binging under control, and I act on the urges less often, but they seem to build up to the point where it's too much to resist. It's not even as if I want to eat what I eat and I don't enjoy the process, I feel disgusted with myself afterwards and try to compensate by eating next to nothing the day after. The urges I get are often triggered just after a meal and I have less desire to binge when I'm actually hungry. I'm fully determined to beat this cycle!! But do any of you have a way of coping with the desire to binge?? How do you distract yourself from it

Replies

• runningsahm
    runningsahm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I too am more likely to binge right after I've eaten a meal. I think my main problems are: lack of variety in my food choices (my body is still "craving" because it's missing something), too little water (again, body is craving water, but I register it as a food craving) and just habit (eating in front of the TV or when the kids go to bed). When I lost weight last time, I used a ton of gum to keep my mouth busy without filling up my belly. Concentrate on water, a big glass before every meal. Good luck and have an S.O.S. buddy that can talk you down from a binge.
  • NikkiF1129
    NikkiF1129 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to binge when I am by myself. The kids are at school, the hubby is at work, why not right? Like I am trying to hide it. I know that its only going to make me feel worse for eating. But, I do it anyway. The next day I am so disgusted with myself. To the point where I don't even want to look in the mirror. I promise myself I am going to start over and not over do it this time. A week later, I do it all over again. I just cant figure out how to get out of this cycle. I feel like I have no will power when it comes to food.
  • z_misetich
    z_misetich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    NikkiF1129 wrote: »
    I tend to binge when I am by myself. The kids are at school, the hubby is at work, why not right? Like I am trying to hide it. I know that its only going to make me feel worse for eating. But, I do it anyway. The next day I am so disgusted with myself. To the point where I don't even want to look in the mirror. I promise myself I am going to start over and not over do it this time. A week later, I do it all over again. I just cant figure out how to get out of this cycle. I feel like I have no will power when it comes to food.

I definitely know the feeling... why does it taste so much 'better' when there is no one there to judge what or how much you are eating...? Its really hard to have self discipline, which sounds weird as we know we are in control of ourselves, but just like everything else in life, it takes practice... It is way easier to tear your self down than to build yourself up, but in saying that, anything worth having is worth working for... :smile: ...and don't think I'm preaching, I need to mind my own words... again, it's weird that we all knooow what we neeeed to do in order to lose weight: eat healthy and proper portions and exercise... so, why do we struggle with three simple rules...? I dunno... but I know I struggle and that could be depressing in and of itself leading to a destructive cycle...
  • snowy_sk
    snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I weirdly felt like I was the only one going through this! I am the same in that I eat alone and it's awful. Almost like I deserve it. Its lately taken over my life and I'm miserable! Day after day I tell myself that I won't do it again today and yet I do. Where has my willpower gone? xx
  • Anadora92
    Anadora92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's almost like when you're on your own that's when you have permission to binge. I'd never dream of doing it in front of someone and so I really hate being left on my own. I've also noticed some other emotional triggers such as stress, boredom, and the biggest one is self doubt so it helps to control some of the urges when I know why I'm feeling that way. The hardest ones are when I'm feeling pretty good, and I give into the urge, then end up being miserable. I don't buy in foods that are likely to trigger a binge, but I still will manage to find something in the house.
    I'm definitely going to try the water tip or maybe coffee or a sugar free juice just to have the taste of something in my mouth without actually eating.

I also think this group is a really great idea, so we all know we're not alone and can support each other. Day 2 binge free! ;)
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just joining so today will be day 1 for me. I could never binge in company so I too dread being alone - this has been a life long practice that has now gotten me back to an unhealthy weight for the first time in years. Why now? I have no idea. Very glad to find this group - thanks to all for expressing your thoughts & feelings.