Getting active...need ideas

Options
dragonflies6
dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I work 2 night shift jobs and getting PA in after a 12 hr shift seems impossible because I feel like all I'm capable of doing is passing out. So what kind of things do you do to get PA in?

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get up every hour and do a quick walk down our building's main corridor --- I work in downtown DC and our building sits on two street blocks so if I walk the length and back, my steps add up throughout the day. I also brought in one of those resistance bands to use at my desk. Some people even have those exercise balls as chairs to help with core conditioning. I have a feeling I would fall over!!
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's a rough schedule! Mine isn't quite that bad but after a full day of work and dealing with kids/dinner/chores/bedtimes etc. I feel the same way. I find I either have to work toward a specific goal or schedule an event where other people are counting on me - like joining a team or having a walking buddy. I also found that if I can make the time, going swimming works because it feels kind of like fun, leisure time and the water wakes me up and makes me feel all clean and relaxed. But they changed the pool hours for May (swim teams) and it no longer works with my very specific schedule. I do try to make it once on the weekend. But if you can find something that makes you feel better rather than worse after, it's worth the effort (I know that is kind of pie in the sky, but it's a good thing to look for if you can).
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do a quick walk before and after work. I try to purposely get up and walk around the office as much as possible and I do weights on my lunch break. My days off I try to do something active (bike, kayak, hike etc)
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get some exercise in at work - or at least I did prior to surgery (I'm waiting for clearance to resume anything besides walking and easy hikes). It's pretty easy for me to shut my office door for 5 minutes a few times a day and do some squats and push-ups and tricep dips from my desk. I can't bring myself to get on the floor for sit-ups because our cleaning people are not very thorough, so I sit on my desk and pull both knees up towards my chest. Probably not as good as sit-ups, but it's better than nothing.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that I have a kind of sprawling work campus so once a day, I'll take a 20-minute break and walk a loop around the campus. It usually gives me about 1500-2000 steps depending on how far I venture out. That seems like it's probably not something you'd want to do on a night shift, though. Is it possible to get some walking in a few hours before getting ready for work?
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I never thought about taking my bands to work. I feel like I'm constantly walking since I work in hospitals. But it's not above and beyond what my body is already used to.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I get a 1 hour lunch break and spend the first 1/2 of that walking 99 % of the time. On days like today when I came in late, so am only taking 1/2 hour, I will maybe walk tonight or work out on my pilates machine (I would walk and then eat at my desk but that's not allowed). I also try and use the stairs at work rather than the elevator whenever possible. I don't count it in my exercise log, but it adds up for activity. Today since I came in late I had to park farther up the ramp. I will either walk up the ramp or take the stairs (all depends on how the knees feel). Again, I won't count it, but since I didn't get my walk in it helps.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I, like some others, work out daily at my job. I am blessed to have a gym available to all employees. I only get 1 hour for my lunch, so by the time I get to the gym and work out for a half hour (20 minutes on elliptical, 10 minutes on strength training), I head back upstairs to my desk and have some lunch. And when I have the extra time, which isn't very often, I walk on my treadmill at home.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, either a class or a video works. 12 hour shifts aren't fun. I schedule my workouts in my planner so that it is part of my plan. Good luck.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I put on my Walkman over 500 of my favorite Rock'n'Roll songs. I then can get my cardio in by dancing. Not only does it give me exercise, but it puts me in a cheerful mood no matter what kind of day I'm having.
  • BabeDeNoc
    BabeDeNoc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Before I retired, I'd walk the stairs at work whenever I had a few free minutes. If you have a job that entails a lot of sitting, even standing at your desk for periods of time is helpful. Park your car a little farther away. After a 12 hour day, I'd probably just collapse into bed too. And you probably don't work 7 days a week, so just make sure and get some exercise in on your days off. Good luck! Just do the best you can.