Food addiction? Do you binge for the taste?

Options
superj016
superj016 Posts: 62 Member
Question: Does anyone here binge, not for emotional reasons (or less for emotional reasons) but simply because they are addicted to the taste of their trigger food? Has anyone been diagnosed with or treated for food addiction?

Last Thursday, at my weigh in for my medically supervised diet, I had to meet with the behaviorist. I burst into tears the second she told me I was receiving a "verbal back on track" warning. I have been very honest with them about my food issues and my food logs. It upset me that being vulnerable led to me essentially being reprimanded for being truthful with them. As we talked about my reaction, it raised the above question. Do I have a food addiction?

For months I have been thinking ad nauseum about why I binge and can not control my cravings. The therapist wants me to seek further counseling than she is able to provide in our 15 minute sessions every couple weeks. While I agree that would be helpful, we seem to disagree that what causes me to binge isn't some sub-conscious, wretched emotional reason. More often than not, it's the idea of the taste of my trigger foods. So, when I get a craving/urge and give in to it, I can not stop. It's almost a euphoria that comes over me, like a dopamine release. Of course, afterwards, I often have the feelings of guilt and shame and physical discomfort. But sometimes, like I told her, I have no regrets and am totally satisfied because it tasted so good.

Just wondering if anyone else can relate to this or if it is something you deal with what has helped you cope...

Thanks for reading. I'm truly grateful for and appreciative of this group and the support and kindness that is shown here.

Replies

• jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey, that is what I think it is for me as well as dysfunctional eating patterns.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat for taste. I go through phases where I eat the exact same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I know I should eat more varied foods throughout the day but I'm always so excited to eat whatever it is that I am into.
  • superj016
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find comfort in eating the same things most of the time. I just had a bit of a meltdown at my last weigh in over this therapy stuff. I kept thinking that they think I'm so screwed up that I'm beyond the help of the weight management team! I had to convince myself that I'm otherwise very well adjusted! But my god, if I have a taste of my trigger food...once I pop, I can't stop! It also is an issue with me eating desserts in a way. I hate the way some foods leave an after taste so I will have a dessert because I don't like being left with the other taste. I'm a really picky eater which does not help a lot of my issues with food. Taste, texture, and temperature are a huge issue for me and many people in my family.
  • stitchfan626
    stitchfan626 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate to this! I go through salty phases and then sweet phases, it's the taste, I am a 'bored' eater - I don't usually eat due to emotions, but rather just what sounds good.......high five for therapy though, that's a great idea!
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to this. When I joined this group, I thought it was all about BED and that didn't seem to fit me. But now that I know there are other people out there like me, who binge for taste, I don't feel so alone and somehow that makes it better.

I also agree with stitchfan626 because I, too, go through sweet and salty phases. I'm not a "bored eater", though, I'm a "it's there and I know it's going to taste oh so good" eater.

I'm already seeing a therapist, maybe I should bring this up in our sessions, too. Thanks so much for the idea and for sharing your struggles!

What has helped me cope? Simply not having those foods around. It's like I can't control myself around certain foods. I try, I really do. But apparently (according to some) I'm just "not trying hard enough." So instead of exercising the will power that people think I should have, I just have to not have it in the house or at work. I can't even have it "out of sight, out of mind" because I'll go looking for it and WILL find it.

I don't know if my reply helps anyone, but your thread has helped me not feel so alone :) Again, thank you!
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post! Wow! I have wondered this so many times! Thank you for writing all of this out.

I've generally thought of it as two types of hungry: stomach hungry and taste hungry. And taste runs the show. I can't even really get myself to slow down and pause when something occurs to me - I just make a beeline for it.

I also alternate between the salty and the sweet - but when I'm bored with one and move to the other my taste buds are thrilled for days. It's a vicious circle.

In the interest of full disclosure I do also eat to numb my emotions - so I am fighting that inner monster as well. But at least I'm now able to recognize it.

But seriously - you wouldn't believe how comforting it was to see that someone else has this same issue. Thank you for sharing.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I binge for taste. I also have binged in the past without paying much attention to taste... after the first few servings it seems less enjoyable, like it's more of an impulse than addiction to the taste.

I think people come to binge eating for a variety of different reasons, it's complex. :) It's awesome how even though we have different reasons and triggers, we can all connect in the group. :)
  • maicap22
    maicap22 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna put in spoiler. Please don't read if you think you'll be triggered with mention of foods. I just want to describe it because it somehow describes my obsession with the taste. But yes, I eat for the taste. I don't eat because I'm bored or emotional. In fact, when I'm upset, I am usually not in the mood to eat.
    I could relate because I could not get over peanut butter and filled breads TT with coffee because I usually dip them in it. Ugh. Sometimes I also dip white chocolate in peanut butter. There are times I eat milk powder mixed with condensed milk and cheese or salted butter (I can consume a whole cup of this). It is all because I enjoy the taste so much, I eat even when I am already so full. There are even times when I eat only the bread and peanut butter the whole day. I usually crave the sweets but I throw in some salty food sometimes just to somehow balance it out. And no, I am not a one-serving kind of girl when bingeing. When I'm in this phase, I feel like I don't get to enjoy the taste of the food if I only have a bite or a serving. Guiltily, I can finish a peanut butter tub in one or 2 days.

Right now, I am already back on the wagon but I am only one week in. I am still eating peanut butter and bread but I try to eat whole wheat bread instead of the filled white breads. I also control my portions now so that I can fit them in my daily calories and still have enough room for fruits, veggies, meats or eggs.
  • superj016
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am so glad we are not alone in this! I can relate to so much of what others have said here. Alternating between salty and sweet and not being able to stop once I get a taste of that...taste, and I'm not eating out of sadness or when I'm upset either. In fact, I can also hardly bare the thought of food when I'm upset, let alone want to eat. Plus, I'm a VERY picky eater so, when I find something I like, I focus on those foods. A lot of times desserts after meals for me are standard not because I should be eating desserts but because I like the taste they leave in my mouth compared to my meal. Now....what to do about this... :)
  • awkwardlyhannah
    awkwardlyhannah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Totally eat for taste. I eat for comfort, but especially for taste. You're not alone.
  • frankie5152
    frankie5152 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have to say i binge eat both for taste and less often emotionaly but pizza and fettuccine Alfredo it just seems that no matter how much i eat of them i just want more. And then when full ill wait a hour and be back for more if there is any, its terrible. Thankfully i havent had too much temptation since I have started dieting and was able to only have 2 slices of pizza the one time i had it this month. Hoping i can keep those urges for seconds down more and more in the coming months and continue my weight loss.
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    ...Thankfully i havent had too much temptation since I have started dieting and was able to only have 2 slices of pizza the one time i had it this month. Hoping i can keep those urges for seconds down more and more in the coming months and continue my weight loss.

What a great NSV! Good for you frankie5152 ;)

• superj016
    Options
    Agreed, good job, @frankie5152.
  • Scott_Baldwin
    Scott_Baldwin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My wife is driven to binge when she has had a bad work day/week. I tend not to want to eat when I am stressed. However if I skip a few meals and get very hungry I get tempted to lean towards my trigger foods. I also have trouble when we are out somewhere and I can see and smell my trigger foods. One of the other threads here on MFP, someone recommended the book "brain over binge". It looks like it might help those that binge sometimes for non-emotional issues. I just ordered it. Wife and I have been eating clean since 4/15.

Other link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32456850/#Comment_32456850
    Book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F9UZ1U/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Totalkathy
    Totalkathy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not recommending this, but if you tasted food and did not swallow it, would it leave you satisfied? Like I said I'm not recommending this behavior but trying to make a point. I know it would not be satisfying for me to only taste food, so I'm sure some of the pleasure comes from what ever happens to it from the tastebuds down. I just read a book, Brain over Binge. It had some real eye opening thoughts. I'm old, 57, and I've been a binge eater and very over weight all my life, with some great weight losses in between, I always gain it back.
    All the therapy has done very little good dealing with food. This book has a totally different concept. You might enjoy it. I've been doing amazingly well with food since I read it. You can get it at Amazon. Blessings everyone!
  • Totalkathy
    Totalkathy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My wife is driven to binge when she has had a bad work day/week. I tend not to want to eat when I am stressed. However if I skip a few meals and get very hungry I get tempted to lean towards my trigger foods. I also have trouble when we are out somewhere and I can see and smell my trigger foods. One of the other threads here on MFP, someone recommended the book "brain over binge". It looks like it might help those that binge sometimes for non-emotional issues. I just ordered it. Wife and I have been eating clean since 4/15.

Other link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32456850/#Comment_32456850
    Book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F9UZ1U/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing life changing book! Let me know what you think!
  • maicap22
    maicap22 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Totalkathy wrote: »
    I'm not recommending this, but if you tasted food and did not swallow it, would it leave you satisfied? Like I said I'm not recommending this behavior but trying to make a point. I know it would not be satisfying for me to only taste food, so I'm sure some of the pleasure comes from what ever happens to it from the tastebuds down. I just read a book, Brain over Binge. It had some real eye opening thoughts. I'm old, 57, and I've been a binge eater and very over weight all my life, with some great weight losses in between, I always gain it back.
    All the therapy has done very little good dealing with food. This book has a totally different concept. You might enjoy it. I've been doing amazingly well with food since I read it. You can get it at Amazon. Blessings everyone!

I've actually tried this before but it did not work for me. I don't know why but I have to be really eating it to enjoy the taste.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I binge because I cannot get the taste of the food out of my head. If I start thinking about my favorite pizza or candy or DQ blizzard or cookie then I suddenly need to have it in my mouth and I become obsessed. I'll go at 3am to get candy from the CVS. It's insanity.