Starting

Options
DaveThomas1901
DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
Hi everyone, I have ordered the book and am going to give it a go.
There are a few foods I will obviously miss but I think if I am not feeling hungry then
I will cope. Have been reading a fair bit lately and the typical image of someone scoffing a
fry up doesn't really paint a true picture to me.
I exercise a few times a week also and am interested to see how the fat burning kicks in with less carbs, I am hoping for some good results.
Best wishes all, Dave :)

Replies

• LadyALB
    LadyALB Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave, I will be along for this ride as well. I actually started yesterday. I have done Atkins in the past with great success, but weak as I am, once I reached my goal I, of course thought I could handle it on my own. Needless to say, I gained my weight back. I have tried Atkins again more recently with almost zero success. I hear that trying to do it a 2nd time doesn't work for some people at all. So, here I am trying it a third time. Because I do believe it is a healthy and for the most part, easy way to drop the l-b's. Let's see what happens this time around. Of course I'm older now and things have changed in my body that may prevent me from being able to loose as easily as I once could but I'm willing to give it another go. So, good luck to you Dave. Let's Do This!
  • DaveThomas1901
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Lady, and I hope things are going well so far. I like the third time logic as well :D My book has been dispatched and I have been sorting out my shopping so I'm nearly ready. I am working up until Sunday then off for a week, so that's when I stop dabbling and get stuck in.
    I'm sure we can encourage each other along the way. :)
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I've been doing this for about 6 wks now, with little weight loss but lots of improvement in other health issues. It's really a Way Of Life for me. and I have at least 26 more years to get it right! (Joke: I'll be 74 soon, trying for at least 100.)

You really won't be hungry, and it's not all that hard. Don't hesitate to ask questions, etc. People here are very friendly and helpful. Enjoy yourself.
  • DaveThomas1901
    Options
    Thank you young Sara, been reading my book yesterday and getting rid of some of the foods that are now banned (won't say how).
    Been for an early run this morning, which went well so that always leaves me positive
    It was actually exercise that has brought me to Atkins. I have ran a marathon and loads of half marathons in the last few years and carb loading is what you do for endurance events and I alway viewed them as my friend.
    It was following a conversation with a fitness instructor that the light finally went on in my head. I told him that after losing some weight when I started running, it then became very hard to lose any more. He told me to forget about burning calories and that walking is a better fat burner than running. The carbs stored are essential for athletes and those doing endurance events and once these have been exhausted then the body turns to burning fat. So carb loading for someone who is trying to lose weight puts one at a disadvantage from the start as without carbs stored the body turns to the easiest available fuel to burn which is fat.
    That all makes sense to me, so here I am.
  • LadyALB
    LadyALB Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave, You are correct about fat burning. It's actually a much more efficient energy source for endurance. It's a total win-win. I have friends who are cross country cyclists and they have switched to fat burning and swear it's the only way to go. In order to jump-start my LCHF (low carb-high fat) diet, I am doing what Dr. Atkins refers to as a Fat Fast. He talks about it much later in his book, somewhere around chapter 20 or so. It's actually meant to get past plateau's or weight loss stalls. Since I was unable to loose the 2nd time around I thought I'd just begin with this and low and behold, I have lost 8 pounds in 4 days. I'm sure much is water but I'm really feeling the energy burst of endurance already. I think I may have more success this time, we'll see. Sara, this may work to jump start your weight loss, but you might want to talk to your doctor first. The Fat Fast is really only meant to be done for from 3 to 5 days, but during that time you eat 4 to 5 smaller "feedings" keeping fat at between 85 and 90% of your total food intake for the day. I'm enjoying it very much and finally seeing the scale begin to move in the right direction.
  • DaveThomas1901
    Options
    Thanks Lady and congrats on the 4 days, that's massive !!
    I've been slowly losing this year so am not expecting anything drastic, just to keep moving in the right direction. Away Friday until Monday with a few functions for family and friends-that will be quite tough.
    I went to the cinema today and snacked on pork scratchings and cheese straws. Bit different to what I usually have
  • MemphisMaven
    MemphisMaven Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. You still on Atkins? If so, how is it going?
  • saraphim41
    Options
    Actually, it's going great. Weight loss is slow, but improvement in health otherwise is wonderful.
  • Kymber2015
    Kymber2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How many in this group are still going? I just doing Atkins a week ago and I'm down some digits.
  • saraphim41
    Options
    Sorry, I've been away. This group is very slow. So, I don't know how many there are any time.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    are you doing the new atkins book? or the old atkins book,, some big differances between the two