Mindfulness Anyone?

Options
barbarae130
barbarae130 Posts: 16 Member
I suffer with anxiety and trying to shift my excess load whilst being perimenopausal is hard. I have been looking at yoga and mindfulness to help me along the way. The thing is though switching my brain off to a state of relaxation is proving quite difficult and I wondered have any of you /do any of you practice mindfulness and if so have you any tips? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find that this helps when anxiety gets in the way: I identify it (instead of letting it endlessly cycle unnamed in my thoughts), then I give myself permission to let it go for the immediate moment by saying "not right now, I'll address it later". And then when I have a few minutes, I sit down with pen and paper to write down the anxiety, the emotions and issue it is coming from, and some possible solutions to the source problem. I find it converts it to problem-solving rather than the spinning anxiety that ruins my day. I hope it helps you too!
  • barbarae130
    Options
    Sounds like an idea thanks. I've often thought I should keep a pen and paper handy to 'offload' stuff. As you say it does end up going round in circles and I don't know where to get off. Thanks
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The tenets of Stoicism and Taoism are useful to help with thinking.

Meditation is a good tactic, and plenty of resources here:
    reddit.com/r/meditation
  • barbarae130
    Options
    Thanks feisty_bucket
  • MyFitLife15
    MyFitLife15 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started using Headspace (a meditation app) a few months ago and I am amazed at how much better I'm able to handle everyday life. I also tend to overthink, think in circles, and have a lot of anxiety. Headspace is free for the first 10 days and then is subscription after that. I am a pretty cheap person and usually don't spend money unless it's something that is necessary in my life such as food and rent. However, after the 10 days I realized I was getting a lot of benefit and I went ahead and bought a year subscription to headspace. It has made a huge positive impact in my life. Headspace isn't the only answer, though. There is a lot of information on meditation out there and most especially meditation with mindfulness. I highly suggest it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll try that Headspace - I've tried starting a practice a few times but I'm so unfocused and anxious that I can't stand the emotional pressure of trying to feel better lol. Perhaps an app is just the thing I need.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i use headspace too... its great for helping u sleep... cant afford to subscribe, so i just do 10days then start again...