Traveling and eating clean

Options
neeshal801
neeshal801 Posts: 1 Member
I am new to this and have been doing very well for the last week, felt some detox effects that were not so fun but sticking to it. I am traveling with my Boyfriend to Phoenix for his hockey tournament and am really worried about how to maintain this when I am away from my kitchen and home... Help any pointers ideas etc would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So hubby travels extensively for work. We are currently dieting and have adopted a clean eating philosophy and lifestyle.
    I would think the level of clean eating matters to this question, but here's what has worked for us.

We try to check out local restaurants and stay away from fast foods and big chains. We do some research about dining options in the area and preview menus. Here's a link to some clean eating restaurant options from a quick Google search...
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/07/10_favorite_healthy_restaurants_phoenix.php

I also pack a snack box for his luggage so he has healthier options, like nuts, rice cakes, peanut butter,etc. If you're driving, pack a small cooler with some basic snacks.

Most hotels have mini fridges, so when you get into town you might scope out a local market for fruits and vegetables.

The bottom line for us is to try to make the best choice. You can't always control the ingredients or quality if food used.

Good luck!

• TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Traveling is always tough. Being from Phoenix, I can tell you that it is easier to find healthy stores and restaurants in Scottsdale (just east of Phoenix and still part of the Greater Phoenix Area). There are a lot of health clubs and such there. Shea and Scottsdale Rd has a natural burger place and a health club with great smoothies.

Hope things go well for you.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Pack pack pack as much as you can for quick convenient on the go snacks. I try to fill up on whatever fresh veggies and fruits I can at the hotel in the morning and then the rest of the day night is always hard. I eat what I need to in order to be polite to vendor, but keep my
    Portions small. Usually eat my pre-packed snacks during car rides and
    Try to drink all my water once I'm back at the hotel so I'm not running to the bathroom all day. My fav snacks are fiber one lemon bars, turkey jerky and dried apricots.
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hubby travels a lot for work...if he's driving we pack a cooler with food and another one with drinks. Like others have suggested, research restaurants near where you'll be so you have an idea of where to go for clean/cleanish food. If hubby is flying, we pack his suitcase full of jerky, trail mix, dried fruit, and other non-perishable clean food. You can take food in your carry-on and your checked luggage.
  • Sgtcupcake35
    Sgtcupcake35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above comments. it is not that hard to eat clean on the road. I have a lot of food allergies and have to be very careful of what I eat. I recently went to Spain, and we only ate out once per day. The rest of the time, I had my oatmeal packs in the morning with protein rice powder mixed in. Lunch was a tuna pack with hot sauce and a fruit. I snacked on Fruits throughout the day as well. My only concern was that I wasn't able to get enough protein, but in the states it is much easier to find that! You can always pack healthy jerky, when you go out to eat, ask for grilled chicken and steamed veggies, salads with olive oil and vinegar, breakfast can be oatmeal and egg whites!