Charge HR - linking to equipment

Options
Dagoob
Dagoob Posts: 33 Member
Hey, question here that I can't seem to find the answer to.

I thought I read where the charge HR would alow me to see my heart rate on various gym equipment? I used to use a polar and the chest strap would constantly show my heart rate on the machine I was using at the time which I liked..... Is this not possible with the charge HR or is it operator error?

Thanks.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I never heard that —then again, I don't go to the gym. I don't see anything like that at https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Doubt it . Polar's proprietary heart rate sensing and transmission technologies are what "talk" to your gym equipment. GymLink and W.I.N.D. are what they call them. The Fitbit uses bluetooth. Totally different.
    Polar does have a chest monitor with blue tooth to "talk" to apps on smartphones etc. but gym equipment would need to have an interface of some kind to read that signal, AFAIK, no gym is bragging about their new blue tooth equipped machines that can read signals from activity trackers. Probably not too far in the future but not now.
  • Dagoob
    Dagoob Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Thanks. Oh well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also - the Fitbit isn't sending out the HR raw beats over the BT signal anyway, for a HRM computer to display as beats per minute and other stats.

For the Fitbit HR devices, the HR sending device and receiver are in one unit, the sending is via a wire, not wirelessly.

But you can setup the Fitbit app to start a HR send from the device, not sure how quickly it's updated though.
  • BNerenberg
    BNerenberg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, though, you can see your HR while using various equipment by checking your HR.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    BNerenberg wrote: »
    Just to be clear, though, you can see your HR while using various equipment by checking your HR.

You mean, by putting your hands on the cardio machine bars?

I have my Charge HR set to see when I tap it. That works for my level of training, but some more folks want super accurate, instantaneous results. I've heard there is a wee lag in the Fitbit HRs, but I don't notice and it's fine for my purposes.