N+1 siren call

Options
okcat4
okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
I have my commuter that started the addiction, and I added my roadie. Now I am hearing the siren call of a MTB. Considering selling the commuter for aTrek Skye SL, 29er. any other good options or feedback in the similar price range?

Replies

• tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Another decent bike in the same price range would be the Specialized Jett Sport. Either way, both are pretty good bikes at that price point. Good luck in your search.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I say keep the commuter and still buy the MTB. I've got a roadie a MTB and a cruise around the neighborhood bike. Love them all for different reasons.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    +1 on for the "keep the commuter and still buy the MTB" option. I have road, mountain, time trial/tri, and cyclocross bikes. All have their purposes, and I was always taught to use the right tool for any given job. Which means I need to add another road bike (race-focused, vs. the current endurance-focused Specialized Roubaix) and a full-suspension MTB at the very least. Oh, and a back-up race-day 'cross bike. Oh, and... :smile:
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Question is what do you want to use the MTB for? Are you planning on doing gravel roads, dirt paths and double tracks as well as commuting or doing some gnarly single track?

If doing a lot of technical single track then a MTB makes sense but I'd keep the commuter too.

If just planning to do gravel/dirt/fireroad etc then one of the so called 'adventure' road bikes may be the answer. These are very versatile in that the frame geometry allows for long distance comfort, braze ons for front and rear racks and fenders which make them suitable for touring and commuting and ability to take large 35-40c tyres so that they can handle gravel/dirt with ease.

I don't really enjoy doing single track much but love gravel/dirt double tracks and recently bought a Specialized Diverge. It is a phenomenal bike that can easily hand with the roadies on a Sat and the gravel warriors on a Sun. Then be used all week as a commuting/touring/shopping bike.

I'm actually going to get rid of my MTB and my Alum winter/back up road bike now that I have the Diverge. So in my case N+1 became (N+1)-2 :)
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to do single-track again but have mostly been on gravel/dirt and paved trails. I have a GT Avalanche 4.0 and love it. It was around $500 when I got it a couple of years ago (though I'm pretty sure I got it on bigger discount for $400 during one of those holiday weekend sales).
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    +1 on for the "keep the commuter and still buy the MTB" option. I have road, mountain, time trial/tri, and cyclocross bikes. All have their purposes, and I was always taught to use the right tool for any given job. Which means I need to add another road bike (race-focused, vs. the current endurance-focused Specialized Roubaix) and a full-suspension MTB at the very least. Oh, and a back-up race-day 'cross bike. Oh, and... :smile:

I feel this! LOL! I see you converting all rooms to bikes and sleeping in the kitchen!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Fat tire. Get a good Fat Tire. They are a blast and will travel smooth on some very loose soil as well as over rocks and stumps better than my MTB does.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    okcat4 wrote: »
    I feel this! LOL! I see you converting all rooms to bikes and sleeping in the kitchen!

I would totally do this. And I didn't even mention that my wife has 4 bikes of her own (road, mountain, TT, and 'cross), plus the two (road and mountain) that my daughter leaves at my house. Plus the loaner mountain bike that I keep for enticing new suckers riders into the sport... :smile: