Running watches

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
If money was no object, which running watch would you buy, and why?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 620. Tracks everything except bloodwork.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'd still get my Garmin 220, but I'd get an HRM with it. I love love love my girly-color watch :)
  • TavistockToad
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd still get my Garmin 220, but I'd get an HRM with it. I love love love my girly-color watch :)

That's the FR225, it's just not girly coloured.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    if money was no object, i'd buy 3 watches:
    the garmin FR620 for street running
    the garmin Fenix for trail running
    the garmin FR920XT for triathlons
  • kristinegift
    Options

Mine is! It's purple and white, and it matches all my bright pink and purple running shirts :) I like to color coordinate for races.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Mine is! It's purple and white, and it matches all my bright pink and purple running shirts :) I like to color coordinate for races.

I mean that the FR225 is the newer version of the 220, with a HRM in it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Optical HRM embedded, rather than an ANT+ chest strap. The 220 comes either without, or bundled with a strap.

For multisport the optical has limited use as if it's on the wrist one can't see the screen for data.
  • kristinegift
    Options

Haha, can you tell I was in a post-long run brain haze? ;) Is the 225 the one that just came out?
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My Pebble, +iSmoothrun.... simply the best.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Garmin Epix.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would still get my garmin 210...however at this weekend's race expo I did find myself drooling over garmin's latest and greatest.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would probably get the 620, but really I would keep the watch I have which is perfectly adequate (the discontinued 410) and spend the money on shoes.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Haha, can you tell I was in a post-long run brain haze? ;) Is the 225 the one that just came out?
    It comes to the running store where I work in June.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I would probably get the 620, but really I would keep the watch I have which is perfectly adequate (the discontinued 410) and spend the money on shoes.

My friend has the 410, she thinks it's great
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jdelot wrote: »

It comes to the running store where I work in June.

You can preorder it in the uk at the moment
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This thread had me intrigued and wondering about the accuracy of the optical heart rate sensor. For those interested here is a review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/05/garmin-fr225-gps-optical-hr.html
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    That actually looks pretty interesting - I don't train by heart rate partly because I'm happy enough to train by pace (and can't be bothered to do a max HR stress test), but partly because I don't like the chest strap and don't want to wear it. Maybe this will be my next running watch...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd probably check out a top level Garmin. I've got the 2014 TomTom Runner Cardio watch with the optical HRM (Mio's). I am satisfied with the watch itself; it's their website that is a little lacking in features. The newer optical really is accurate and I've been very happy with the results.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    if money was no object, i'd buy 3 watches:
    the garmin FR620 for street running
    the garmin Fenix for trail running
    the garmin FR920XT for triathlons

@CallMeRuPaul
    Out of curiousity, why the FR620 for running and not just the FR920xt? I'm just wondering.

My answer to the OP is the FR920XT.