I'm am new to the group. Need encouragement

Options
Beneita
Beneita Posts: 29 Member
Hey Pals! I am Beneita...58 young and the ONLY exercise the doctor will allow for me right now due to some health issues(resent double knee replacements) is swimming and strength training for upper...not allowed to lift much weight...not good for the new knees..Anyway, I LOVE swimming and am ashamed to get in the pool! I was a real healthy beauty back in the day....at least as far back as 17 years....from then I have lost control! So, I have decided to swallow my shame and get in the darn pool at my Son and his wife's Apt.....Like very very early in the morning ....I will do this..I know that at least I have my faith to see me through .... Friend me if you feel lead too do so! I love Pals!!!!

Thanks,
Beneita
I Live By Faith

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Beneita, I think you should try what stephen has done. His nutritionist recommended that he exercise for 30 minutes a day and and then add 5 minutes every two weeks until he got to an hour. He is now swimming an hour. I find his accomplishment quite impressive and 30 minutes a day of swimming isn't too much to start with. Good luck!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Beneita, welcome to the group - there are a lot of very nice, encouraging people here. That said, your true encouragement will come from yourself when you push yourself to swim 1 more length, to add time/distance to your workout, etc. You really have no need to worry about other people at the pool because they're too caught up in what they're doing to pay any attention to anybody else. Congratulations on getting the knee done, in the long run you will feel so much better (had both hips done 15 years ago & have NEVER regretted it). Keep at it & come back here when you feel you need a little push :smile:
  • Beneita
    Options
    Thanks pals for the encouragement! My swimming starts tomorrow!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Welcome, beneita! You'll find a great group here. We cheer each other on and give pep talks when we need them. I hope your first swims felt good!
    ~Curly
  • Beneita
    Options
    Welcome, beneita! You'll find a great group here. We cheer each other on and give pep talks when we need them. I hope your first swims felt good!
    ~Curly

Oh golly Curly! i swam 2 hours yesterday and did not even know it until I got out! Goodness! I am sore today in such a great way! headed out to the beach to swim in some currents! That will burn some calories LOL!!! Thank you soooo much for the encouragement Curly!

Beneita
    I Live By Faith
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What is amazing is that in your first swim in a long time, you were able to go for 2 hours!
    Little wonder you're sore!
    :smile:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    beneita wrote: »
    ~Curly

Oh golly Curly! i swam 2 hours yesterday and did not even know it until I got out! Goodness! I am sore today in such a great way! headed out to the beach to swim in some currents! That will burn some calories LOL!!! Thank you soooo much for the encouragement Curly!

Beneita
    I Live By Faith

That is awesome.
    Keep up the great effort.
    Like you, I can't do aerobic with impact. Arthritis in my feet. Thankfully I love swimming. I'm too concerned about speed. I focus more on form, improving efficiency, and endurance. What I once thought were insane goals are now quite reasonable, though the lie guard called me insane one day :D.
  • Beneita
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    beneita wrote: »
    ~Curly

Beneita
    I Live By Faith

That is awesome.
    Keep up the great effort.
    Like you, I can't do aerobic with impact. Arthritis in my feet. Thankfully I love swimming. I'm too concerned about speed. I focus more on form, improving efficiency, and endurance. What I once thought were insane goals are now quite reasonable, though the lie guard called me insane one day :D.

Thx Fishgutzy! Hee I love your profile name! The encouragement is well rec'd and appreciated! Form, efficiency, and endurance!!! YES! My same goals!!! Thx Fishgutzy!

Beneita
    I Live By faith
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I've got trashed knees too and was embarassed to wear a suit out of the water infront of people. I loved swimming on summer swim team in my youth but stopped being active after HS. When I started swimming at the YMCA in January (25 years later...), I had to wade in on the zero depth end and make my way down to the 4 foot and over to the laps (only 3 at my little Y). I couldn't get down or up the ladder and there was NO WAY I was just going to jump in! I move at the pace of a turtle in the water, but I enjoy swimming its a great meditation time and I ALWAYS feel better when I get out. The best thing about swimming for me is you can always come back to it after being away, its very forgiving :) Welcome to our group, its sounds like you have the right attitude and heart to succeed!

-Nancy
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    Good morning! I've got trashed knees too and was embarassed to wear a suit out of the water infront of people. I loved swimming on summer swim team in my youth but stopped being active after HS. When I started swimming at the YMCA in January (25 years later...), I had to wade in on the zero depth end and make my way down to the 4 foot and over to the laps (only 3 at my little Y). I couldn't get down or up the ladder and there was NO WAY I was just going to jump in! I move at the pace of a turtle in the water, but I enjoy swimming its a great meditation time and I ALWAYS feel better when I get out. The best thing about swimming for me is you can always come back to it after being away, its very forgiving :) Welcome to our group, its sounds like you have the right attitude and heart to succeed!

-Nancy
    I'm with you on easing in. I used to have to use the steps to go in and out. A big happy for me was the first time I lifted myself out of the pool on the side.
    Oh, and I think I made about 6 laps the first time I tried to swim for fitness. Now my 'short' swim is 120 laps (6000 yards). :D
  • Beneita
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »

-Nancy

Hey Nancy! Thanks for your encouragement! In my 2 weeks on MFP I have now started swimming and I look forward to getting back in the pool everyday! I am feeling the benefits already! My knees and my entire body is already getting stronger!

Beneita
    I Live By Faith