Treadmill or other exercise recommendations...

nilklynn
nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
I think I want to get a treadmill for those days when I can't get outside during daylight hours. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any particular brands? I know I need one with a higher weight limit. Anything else I need? Anything else I should know?

If you could only get one piece of equipment, what would you get?

Thanks!!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I have a treadmill and hate it! I can walk in the elevated, enclosed walkway downtown or outside for hours at a variety of paces and inclines, but for some reason the treadmill is really hard for me to walk on and I think it's because it doesn't get totally flat, so I'm always at a slight incline. So my reccomendation would be if you get one, make sure it's a good quality one that is adjustable from zero incline and up. I also have a pilates machine and I like it. I got it and the stand on QVC as my first reward for getting below 300 pounds (it has a 300 pound weight limit). Frankly it's really easy to use but I don't use it as often as I should, not because of the machine, but because I don't like to exercise. The only thing I want and don't have is a recumbent bike. I cannot ride a regular bike and the recumbent bike is above my price range. Hopefully some day. . .
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    I hate walking on a treadmill because it hurts my knees and ankles so much. Maybe that will change as my weight goes down but for now, the pain is just not worth it. If I were going to buy one piece of equipment it would probably be a rowing machine. It's easier on my joints, doesn't make me dizzy like treadmills and ellipticals, and it's such a great full-body workout.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    I just bought a recumbent bike Walmart.com free shipping for under $150 with a 300lb weigth limit for the fiancé and I, comes on Thurs had great reviews I will let you know how it is :)
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    I have an elliptical and while I don't like it as much as getting outside, it's great for summer when it's too hot here to do much of that. I have a Sole 25 and it is very smooth and strong - never worried about being too heavy and I've had it for years. If that is too large or expensive and I wanted to buy some kind of equipment, I'd likely spend the money on an actual bicycle and a fancy stand you can put it on to ride in place. That way you can get double duty out of it.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    I am a big fan of Sole. I used to have a treadmill and elliptical both from that company (I lost them both in a house fire otherwise I would still have them :'( ). I suggest trying a few and see which is sturdy enough. If you go with the treadmill, consider what you will be doing on it. If you plan to run at some point, invest in a better motor. If I could pick one cardio machine, it would be the elliptical. You can burn more because it engages your upper body as well and is better on the knees. Try them before investing though. Find a sturdy one with a good stride.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    I love my recumbent bike. My knees are shot, and a treadmill would kill me.